PDA

View Full Version : Greetings All + Japanese "Bushido" Influence On Tactics

Sakai9745
06-11-2004, 05:08 PM
Hello Everyone. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Nice forum you all got here. With the salutations out of the way, just wanted to know if 'bushido' will influence the way Japanese will fight in PF. I only ask because of several references I've read about Japanese pilots diving on targets kamakaze-style after their aircraft were crippled (USS Medusa-Pearl Harbor, USS Hornet-Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands) - makes we wonder if a smoking aircraft in the game would be even more dangerous a threat to a fleet I'm provding CAP for.

If this seems trivial, my apologies... just curious.

Al - SF, CA

Sakai9745
06-11-2004, 05:08 PM
Hello Everyone. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Nice forum you all got here. With the salutations out of the way, just wanted to know if 'bushido' will influence the way Japanese will fight in PF. I only ask because of several references I've read about Japanese pilots diving on targets kamakaze-style after their aircraft were crippled (USS Medusa-Pearl Harbor, USS Hornet-Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands) - makes we wonder if a smoking aircraft in the game would be even more dangerous a threat to a fleet I'm provding CAP for.

If this seems trivial, my apologies... just curious.

Al - SF, CA

VF-3Thunderboy
06-11-2004, 06:15 PM
Its the little things that make flight sims great! (Some Americans also did this.)

Soviets (still) had it to take out an aircraft with your own, if all was lost.

Chuck_Older
06-11-2004, 07:27 PM
That's a good question. What would the reaction of the "average" Japanese combat pilot be, if he were over an Allied target and he was badly wounded or his plane badly damaged?

Well, obviously, suicide attacks were staged as a tactic, so this could certainly be considered an option for a pilot to whom surrender brings more than capture, it means disgrace and dishonor to one's family and ancestors. On the other hand, Saburo Sakai performed an incredible feat of courage, airmanship, and perseverance when he piloted his damaged Zero back to home base (and landing while semi-conscious!) after getting a portion of his head blown off by a rear gunner's machine gun...and then returned to combat after a long convalesence.

To die in battle was the greatest service a Samurai could render, and suicide his final protest against poor judgement by his Lord, so the life of such a person is of no real importance so long as duty is fulfilled, and Imperial Japan certainly instilled some of those values into their fighting men. I would say that this is a good area to explore, for Japanese AI that the Player doesn't interact with as squadron members. Perhaps Rookie level AI pilots would be more prone to do this, while veteran and ace pilots would have to be crtically damaged indeed to perform such a final attack.

The hillsides ring with, "Free the People",
Or can I hear the echoes from the days of '39?
~ Clash

mllaneza
06-11-2004, 09:47 PM
Ok, what would the reaction be of an average USN torpedo squadron be if they were ordered to attack a target well beyond their Bingo limit ?

Veteran - Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force. 1993-1951.

VF-3Thunderboy
06-12-2004, 12:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Ok, what would the reaction be of an average USN torpedo squadron be if they were ordered to attack a target well beyond their Bingo limit ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This was done sort of at the Coral Sea (2), with Nimitz ordering an attack by Hellcats, etc. They came back at night. And at Midway, it was virtual suicide. And Doolittle Raid, of course! And lots of unknown "volenteer" stuff that we may never know about! (?)