PDA

View Full Version : Missing Historical people (Revelations + Syndicate)

PieterG300
11-27-2016, 08:29 PM
Hey everyone!

I have some questions about the mentioned games, and I hoped you guys could give an answer.

1) Vlad Tepes Dracula In AC Revelations there was a DLC where you could freerun in the castle where Dracula had his last resting place.
I had mixed feelings about this... I really hoped to meet this infamous historical character. I know he (maybe) wasn't alive during the Renaissance timeline, but more than a 15 minute DLC would have been cool. Does anyone know why he wasn't included?
Also: Would Vlad Tepes have been an Assassin or a Templar? I think both could be possible.
Vlad as an assassin could have started the legend/folklore 'that he was a vampire' ; working in the shadows, bloodthirsty, making small cuts in his victims necks, almost "flying" from rooftops... This all sounds like things Ubisoft could have mixed with the Assassin elixer.
Him being a Templar could also be possible since he was " a bad person" in history.

2)The Elephant Man Why wasn't there any slight reference to Joseph Merrick, AKA the Elephant Man? Wasn't he alive during the Syndicate timeline?
For now, I haven't found a slighest clue about his existence in the game.

I hope I didn't interrupt your time, but I have been pondering on these questions for quite some time.

Good day and thank you =)

Pieter.

SixKeys
11-27-2016, 08:39 PM
Vlad was actually a character in the multiplayer. Him being a "bad person" historically is also questionable. He's a hero to the people of Romania, much of the stuff he's infamous for was made up or exaggerated by his enemies. Bram Stoker was the one who came up with the idea of him being a vampire, in the 1800s. It would make no sense for them to include any vampire nonsense in the Renaissance period because nobody thought anything like that about him back then.

PieterG300
11-27-2016, 09:01 PM
Vlad was actually a character in the multiplayer. Him being a "bad person" historically is also questionable. He's a hero to the people of Romania, much of the stuff he's infamous for was made up or exaggerated by his enemies. Bram Stoker was the one who came up with the idea of him being a vampire, in the 1800s. It would make no sense for them to include any vampire nonsense in the Renaissance period because nobody thought anything like that about him back then.

Hi, thank you for the quick reply. :)
I didn't know that about the multiplayer, but I may have incorrectly expressed myself...
I know he wasn't really a bad person, that's why I placed the ' ' - marks. The people of Romania have another perspective than the Muslims, for example.
Further more, I know Bram Stoker started the legend, but I'm just thinking it could have been intresting the see that parallel (working in the shadow, blabla) appear in the game. It could have also been a funny nod if a NPC said something like "That Vlad Tepes, he acts like some kind of bloodlusting monster..."
This wouldn't be 100% historically accurate of course, but the neither is the serie.

NOTE: at the end of the DLC, you get to open the coffin and claim Vlad's sword. If you look closely, you can see that he has fangs.
http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/File:Impaler_3.png
This is what I meant with the 'nod to the vampirism', even though it already happened

Sigma 1313
11-27-2016, 10:26 PM
Vlad Tepes was a Templar and eventually was defeated and killed by Ottoman Grand Vizier Ishak Pasha who was also the leader of the Assassins in 1476. We don't see Vlad because Revelations takes place in 1511.

Joseph Merrick was 6 at the time of Assassin's Creed Syndicate (1868) and had yet to travel to London. He didn't travel to London until 1884. After that he began touring Europe with his managers who robbed him, and he eventually went back to London. When he arrived, he was unable to communicate and was put in the hospital in whitechapel in 1886. He died April 11 1890 in the hospital. Due to him being unknown at the time of main game (1868), and the brevity of Jack the Ripper (1888) even when he was known, that it would not have made sense to place such an unimportant easter egg in the game.

I find it interesting that you feel that these unimportant side characters should've been included but say nothing of the missing brother of Cesare (or the fact that the brother he possibly murdered was alive in Bro), or the missing brother of Selim in Revelations to name a few.

PieterG300
11-27-2016, 10:46 PM
Vlad Tepes was a Templar and eventually was defeated and killed by Ottoman Grand Vizier Ishak Pasha who was also the leader of the Assassins in 1476. We don't see Vlad because Revelations takes place in 1511.

Joseph Merrick was 6 at the time of Assassin's Creed Syndicate (1868) and had yet to travel to London. He didn't travel to London until 1884. After that he began touring Europe with his managers who robbed him, and he eventually went back to London. When he arrived, he was unable to communicate and was put in the hospital in whitechapel in 1886. He died April 11 1890 in the hospital. Due to him being unknown at the time of main game (1868), and the brevity of Jack the Ripper (1888) even when he was known, that it would not have made sense to place such an unimportant easter egg in the game.

I find it interesting that you feel that these unimportant side characters should've been included but say nothing of the missing brother of Cesare (or the fact that the brother he possibly murdered was alive in Bro), or the missing brother of Selim in Revelations to name a few.

Thank you very much for this very helpful reply. :)
I must apologise for I do not know the exate date where the AC games take place, but only the historic period (eg. AC 1 = middle ages, AC 2 = renaissance ...)

These are also historic characters that I adored in other media (eg. The Elephant Man: Ripper Street (series), The Elephant Man (movie); Dracula: wel...)
The other ones you summoned (and others) are historic figures I didn't encounter in my (European) history book; just in the AC games. I hope that explains the intrest ;)

Sigma 1313
11-28-2016, 01:32 AM
Thank you very much for this very helpful reply. :)
I must apologise for I do not know the exate date where the AC games take place, but only the historic period (eg. AC 1 = middle ages, AC 2 = renaissance ...)

These are also historic characters that I adored in other media (eg. The Elephant Man: Ripper Street (series), The Elephant Man (movie); Dracula: wel...)
The other ones you summoned (and others) are historic figures I didn't encounter in my (European) history book; just in the AC games. I hope that explains the intrest ;)

Yeah, I get it. Not many people outside of historians would know too much about other people in the crusades other than Richard and Saladin. If you want to read some of the actual history behind Assassin's Creed, I wrote up a timeline a couple days ago that includes the important historical dates characters, and helps explains their stories and motivations better along with a timeline of when missions take place. Feel free to check it out, as you might find some other characters you like listed: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_wz25dQyQRtNH-TlJ_curDXoyXKNkwWuaLXCWfNTy6o

PieterG300
11-28-2016, 11:29 AM
Yeah, I get it. Not many people outside of historians would know too much about other people in the crusades other than Richard and Saladin. If you want to read some of the actual history behind Assassin's Creed, I wrote up a timeline a couple days ago that includes the important historical dates characters, and helps explains their stories and motivations better along with a timeline of when missions take place. Feel free to check it out, as you might find some other characters you like listed: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_wz25dQyQRtNH-TlJ_curDXoyXKNkwWuaLXCWfNTy6o

Thanks, I'll be sure to check it out :)