PDA

View Full Version : What is the big deal about Egypt?

Namikaze_17
11-23-2016, 05:17 AM
Specifically during Ancient times if anyone would like to claify to me what the hype for it is about. I mean historians know next to nothing of what happened or who really existed or even how they even looked. Pictures are pretty deceiving too mainly in how it usually paints the period to be some type of Utopia(which it likely wasn't, hence the term "interpretation".) Granted, it wasn't just all camels & deserts; but I'm just failing to see the appeal here.

For some reason I feel like the location itself would jive better if it was during perhaps the Ottoman rule, Napoleonic wars, or even the declare for independence in the 1900's. I dunno. There just seems to be as much a problem, I think, in going TOO far back in time as going forwards.

I'm more curious than anything regarding this, so don't be angriez :p

I-Like-Pie45
11-23-2016, 06:12 AM
Pyramids I guess

STDlyMcStudpants
11-23-2016, 07:58 AM
Egypt is actually a HUGE deal!
I'm not sure of the time period represented in the game...
But the fact that historians know next to nothing opens such a great window of opportunity!
Egyptians are speculated to have had access to a lost knowledge that even we today could probably not comprehend...
And with the Assassins Creed lore... the Star people....
With a large focus on conspiracies and narrative.. this could be one of the most thought provoking games of all ti...
oh... f***... nevermind.

D.I.D.
11-23-2016, 09:15 AM
I'm confused by the claim that historians know next to nothing about ancient Egypt! There's an extremely rich store of evidence, and so many well preserved items: everything from food to writings to clothes to tools to architecture to art to ships. Not only that, we have the evidence recorded by other great cultures of the period about the Egyptians, particularly in the late periods, and we're looking at a span of 3000 years. In writing, we have everything from law to poetry to personal letters to business accounts to music notation. We don't just have evidence -- we have a pretty complete picture of what the natural and social environment was like.

It might not be ancient Egypt either - it could be a post-0BC setting.

Sigma 1313
11-23-2016, 11:36 AM
I think you misunderstand a few things:
A) Ancient history generally spans from about 10,000 BCE (End of last ice age and dawn of civilization) to 476 CE (The fall of the Western Roman Empire, marking the beginning of the Middle Ages which lasts until 1492 with the discovery of America).
B) We don't know everything about the time period, but we do know quite a bit. The same goes for the Middle Ages, in which the first 2 games takes place, and the next 2 technically take place in the age of discovery, but we don't yet see the better recording of history yet.
C) You underestimate how much the egyptans recorded and we have found. Just scroll through the List of Pharaohs on Wikipedia.
D) You are ignoring classical antiquity(800BCE-476CE) which largely focuses on Greece and Rome but also has effects on Egypt (Persia taking over lower egypt around 525 BCE, the multiple egyptian revolts from Persia, Rome conquering Egypt, the founding of Alexandria, etc.)
E) You underestimate the cities. Let's ignore the majority of the citie, we still have 3 major cities within the Nile River delta, Memphis (will later fall into disrepair and re-founded as Cairo), Damietta, a major port and city in the delta that was a key location during the later crusades and Venetian Wars with the Ottoman Empire, and Alexandria. On top of all having normal buildings that are between 1-3 stories high, you'll see a variety of structures like walls and temples that will help make parkour more interesting.
F) You say it's all desert, but Lower Egypt along the Nile is very Green and lush. We'll likely see hippos and crocodiles in the Nile, making traversing it more dangerous, on top of the abundance of wildlife and foliage. Besides that we do have a desert nearby that will likely host other forms of transportation.

Megas_Doux
11-23-2016, 11:51 AM
Assassin_m is coming.....Count on it.

Sorrosyss
11-23-2016, 12:20 PM
There were some fairly decent sized cities, even going back to the Roman periods, so I'm not too concerned on that front. Egypt does have a wondrous amount of mythology and amazing architectural wonders, that I hope they will tie into Isu lore. Osiris and Isis were once confirmed Isu members, prior to their lore getting retconned anyway.

Fatal-Feit
11-23-2016, 11:56 PM
Specifically during Ancient times if anyone would like to claify to me what the hype for it is about. I mean historians know next to nothing of what happened or who really existed or even how they even looked. Pictures are pretty deceiving too mainly in how it usually paints the period to be some type of Utopia(which it likely wasn't, hence the term "interpretation".) Granted, it wasn't just all camels & deserts; but I'm just failing to see the appeal here.

I'm pretty curious about where you're getting your sources here.

Lysette88
11-24-2016, 03:32 AM
Ancient egypt means a time span of about 3000 years, where the stories could take place. I would be interested to experience the time of Hatshepsut, the first female Pharao of egypt - even there is now one said to have been the first about 300 years earlier, but she ruled just for 4 years and it is unclear, if she was an actual living god of egypt. Hatshepsut had quite unusual circumstances which let her get into power and she was powerful enough to proclaim herself a living god - that is what a pharao is - and rule egypt for 22 years as such and not be assassinated, she died by natural causes.

What a remarkable woman this must have been to be able to be the ruler of egypt for 22 years in a world, where female rulers were pretty much unknown before (there were not even words for female rulers at that time). She is said to have brought great wealth to egypt and she died by natural causes, well it was an abscess of one of her teeth, which caused her death in her 50s. This would be a quite interesting period to portrait ancient egypt - she basically started the tombs in the later valley of the kings and she was quite hated by later rulers, which tried to eradicate her memory from history. I would love to experience this time period in an AC game. And I think there is enough room for AC gameplay, for intrigues and rivaling factions.

Edit: her mummy was discovered in 2007 and verified to be the mummy of Hatshepsut by DNA test (as far as this was possible of course, but it is not a guess, there is evidence that it is actually her mummy). From her mummy the most likely cause of her death was changed to an abscess of one of her teeth. Before it was assumed that she might have suffered from poisoning with a salve used to deal with a skin disease over many years. But this was more of a guess with not much evidence at all.

Assassin_M
11-24-2016, 05:44 AM
Assassin_m is coming.....Count on it.

I have been summoned....

Honestly I'd hate to see an Egyptian setting wasted on Ancient Egypt, like I've been saying every time this topic comes up.

Not to sound like a broken record, but it's overdone. It's boring. I doubt AC can inject any uniqueness into this dead horse. It's a dead horse. Movies milked it to death. Additionally, with some.....weird events happening in the french graphic novel "Conscriptions", I fear that they might just go full monkey and make the ankh a device that brings back the dead.

ERICATHERINE
11-24-2016, 05:50 AM
I have been summoned....

Honestly I'd hate to see an Egyptian setting wasted on Ancient Egypt, like I've been saying every time this topic comes up.

Not to sound like a broken record, but it's overdone. It's boring. I doubt AC can inject any uniqueness into this dead horse. It's a dead horse. Movies milked it to death. Additionally, with some.....weird events happening in the french graphic novel "Conscriptions", I fear that they might just go full monkey and make the ankh a device that brings back the dead.

Wasn't it already said, in ac rogue, that the Anhk bring back the dead? :confused:

Assassin_M
11-24-2016, 05:57 AM
Wasn't it already said, in ac rogue, that the Anhk bring back the dead? :confused:
It was said in the context of an alleged rumor and legend, not as a fact. Though unlike the shroud, their handling of the ankh as a tool that brings back the dead is far from subtle.

Lysette88
11-24-2016, 06:38 AM
Well, they could find, once they have the ankh, that it was a myth that it can bring back the dead. The Ankh has the meaning of "life", but it was used in tombs in the meaning of the gift of an afterlife. So this could easily be used as an excuse, why it cannot bring back the dead, once it would be retrieved. It does not have to mess up the story.

ERICATHERINE
11-24-2016, 08:01 AM
It was said in the context of an alleged rumor and legend, not as a fact. Though unlike the shroud, their handling of the ankh as a tool that brings back the dead is far from subtle.

Ah, ok. Thanks for the answer. ^-^

RVSage
11-24-2016, 10:21 AM
Egypt , is a setting with lot of potential, but as M says, it could end up beating a dead horse.

That being said, the potential benefits include

1. Not too much history available on specific characters in Ancient Egypt, can introduce creative fictional characters more fluidly.

2. The architecture and landscape of ancient egypt always fascinated me, I would recommend watching some discovery channel videos on the same, they are brilliant, and I always watch in awe

3. Ancient magical folk stories based on egypt and Isu myth can go hand in hand. Lot of scope to develop the plot there.

4. Being an ancient setting combat and parkour mechanics can be revamped as well.

Overall, this is a fantastic opportunity if done well. Could be the game that could vitalize the franchise towards its capacity

Galactus123
11-24-2016, 12:27 PM
I'm really excited about the possible Egypt setting. Just imagine how great the world could be. Just imagine all the tempels, pyramids and deserts. I hope the main character will be great.

This image looks great:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/96/b4/8b/96b48b7737efd4f5fae231a6955739b2.jpg

I have been summoned....

Ancient Egypt is far from boring. I have been waiting it for years.

RinoTheBouncer
11-24-2016, 02:31 PM
Actually, Egypt and Mesopotamia are probably the only settings I'd get excited for. Ancient History is not often portrayed, and there are hardly any movies about Mesopotamia. As for Egypt, for me it's the second best after Sumer/Babylon. While many movies and games did portray Ancient Egypt, few have given us a full scale exploration experience. It's always either a love story or a prophet's story or an explorer locked within a few tombs. There are so many wonders there, especially in the ancient era, the pyramids, the nile, the pharaohs, the contrast between poverty and wealth, the deserts, the amazing possibilities of utilizing particle effects to portray sandstorms, the countless connections between Ancient Egypt and Ancient Astronauts Theories, which are the basis of The Isu stories in AC.

There's a huge difference between seeing Egypt today or a 100 or even 500 years ago or seeing it back when the pyramids and palaces were full of life. Today, anyone can take a plane and see any ancient site. And making a game in an era other than the ancient era, will not by very different from going to see those ancient sites, and it'll be more like an excuse to just sync a viewpoint atop the pyramids, which is cool, but that's not the only reason I play AC for. I want a story. We were told many times that their gods were First Civ. members. I wanna know how they worshiped them. Did they appear as holograms like they did to Ezio? why? I wanna see a setting and an area where not many movies and games explored, or they did but did not go very deep into it, and also something before Abrahamic religions, before culture and life as we know it.

Those eras in Ancient Mesopotamia and Ancient Egypt had different religions, different political systems, different fashion, different weaponry, different lifestyles. It's okay that their history is shrouded in mystery. It gives the writers more room to innovate and create. It gives them the chance to craft a great story there, without being too tied up with real events and contradictions. I'm more interested in Assassins, Templars and Isu stories and how the mythical gods were high tech civilizations, than seeing known historical figures or read historical stories that I've already studied at school and everywhere else, or a love story with a sad ending. That's the story I'm into. And lately, we've had every single famous and over-told and milked historical era in AC in the past games, and it's becoming a trend that the games just put up historical characters and labels them Assassin-allies or Templars.

I wanna see original and new characters, based in that era.
That's why I think Ancient Egypt is super remarkable, especially if the rumors are true and the protagonist will have a trilogy venturing to Rome and Greece.

Assassin_M
11-24-2016, 03:54 PM
Ancient Egypt is far from boring. I have been waiting it for years.
Then maybe you should watch the tens of movies about ancient egypt, the various games set in Ancient Egypt or wait, do you know how many games are set in Egypt? Maybe about 70. Do you know how many are set in Ancient Egypt or feature an Ancient Egyptian backdrop? 68 of them.

So yeah. I think Ancient Egypt is boring and overdone. I don't think AC can change that.

Farlander1991
11-24-2016, 04:34 PM
Then maybe you should watch the tens of movies about ancient egypt, the various games set in Ancient Egypt or wait, do you know how many games are set in Egypt? Maybe about 70. Do you know how many are set in Ancient Egypt or feature an Ancient Egyptian backdrop? 68 of them.

So yeah. I think Ancient Egypt is boring and overdone. I don't think AC can change that.

To be fair, people spoke similarly about Black Flag and now it's one of the most beloved AC games ever :p

Honestly, though, I thought your argument would be something more considerable than just the amount of games or movies set in Ancient Egypt. I don't really see it as a good one.

There's tons of games and movies about the American Revolutionary War. But AC3 is the only action-adventure game set in that timeframe. There's tons of movies, books, and games about the crusades. But crusades are mostly a strategy thing. Or something contemporary based about the myths of the crusades. There's still no historical third crusade action-adventure games except AC. Pirates are SO popular in pop culture. And it's pretty much the only game that has some steady amount of action-adventure games, but even then - not enough, by the time AC4 got released we had about 4-5 years without pirate-themed action-adventure games. And it still stood out.

So... What action-adventure game there is that would be set in historical Ancient Egypt? Ancient Egypt is used in mythological action/RPG settings, in strategy settings, there was a time when it was used in point&click adventure settings.... but it doesn't really have a proper historical action-adventure game. Nor do many other settings that people consider to be 'overused', which is why I find strange how a lot of settings that people speculate about people are saying 'oh no it's too overused to'... yeah, there's quite a lot of historical settings overused in other contexts. But AC is pretty much the only relevant historical action-adventure game series out there. There's no overuse so far in any of the settings in this space yet.

Assassin_M
11-24-2016, 06:53 PM
To be fair, people spoke similarly about Black Flag and now it's one of the most beloved AC games ever :p
People only had Sid Mier and Pirates of the Caribbean in mind. Other than that, the golden age of piracy was relatively unexplored in media.

Honestly, though, I thought your argument would be something more considerable than just the amount of games or movies set in Ancient Egypt. I don't really see it as a good one.
It's a good enough reason for me. Hey, you know....I'd like it if people I dunno, didn't ask me about camels and pyramids every 5 seconds? There's more than camels and pyramids in Egypt. It's either that or black people claiming more right to Egypt because Ancient Egyptians were black. I'd like if people asked me about anything else that doesn't pertain to Ancient Egypt, that'd be nice.

There's tons of games and movies about the American Revolutionary War. But AC3 is the only action-adventure game set in that timeframe. There's tons of movies, books, and games about the crusades. But crusades are mostly a strategy thing. Or something contemporary based about the myths of the crusades. There's still no historical third crusade action-adventure games except AC. Pirates are SO popular in pop culture. And it's pretty much the only game that has some steady amount of action-adventure games, but even then - not enough, by the time AC4 got released we had about 4-5 years without pirate-themed action-adventure games. And it still stood out.
Not like Ancient Egypt. Like I said, that's ALL everyone knows about Egypt. It's a generational thing. The Crusades and the American Revolution are not as overexposed as Ancient Egypt. What's more, media about the American Revolution has a completely different context. It's made by Americans, that's why there's a lot of it. And even then, it's not as much as Ancient Egypt. The American Revolution is an event. For every game about the Revolution, there's 10 about something OTHER than the revolution. There's no such thing for Egypt. For every 10 games about Ancient Egypt, there's NONE about anything else Egypt.

So... What action-adventure game there is that would be set in historical Ancient Egypt? Ancient Egypt is used in mythological action/RPG settings, in strategy settings, there was a time when it was used in point&click adventure settings.... but it doesn't really have a proper historical action-adventure game. Nor do many other settings that people consider to be 'overused', which is why I find strange how a lot of settings that people speculate about people are saying 'oh no it's too overused to'... yeah, there's quite a lot of historical settings overused in other contexts. But AC is pretty much the only relevant historical action-adventure game series out there. There's no overuse so far in any of the settings in this space yet.
This is semantics at worst and a disagreement at best. As I said, I don't think AC can offer anything new that hasn't been already offered by other genres. Pretty much all of the genres that used Ancient Egypt put together outweigh any uniqueness AC can hope to add. Let's say Ancient Egypt was a painting. A painting that a lot of artists collaborated on. There's this one artist who says "Hmm....I can add something to this" and proceeds to add a dot in the middle. That's AC set in Ancient Egypt.

The4orTy67
11-24-2016, 07:22 PM
Will be interesting for me at least beause it looks like a reboot.

Farlander1991
11-24-2016, 08:57 PM
People only had Sid Mier and Pirates of the Caribbean in mind. Other than that, the golden age of piracy was relatively unexplored in media.

Monkey Island, Age of Pirates (and however else the Sea Dogs sequels were translated into English), Pirates of the Burning Sea, Port Royale 3, East India Company, Risen 2, Raven Cry, Pirates of the Black Cove. Those are just some of the games of the top of my head that were released in the 5-year period before AC4 that use or are heavily inspired by the Golden Age of Pirates thematic. Not to mention there are classics like Captain Blood and Treasure Island that are always on peoples minds. Plus this was also when Black Sails was announced and promoted and eventually released (a pirate-based TV show). And I'm not even mentioning all the more 'casual' for the lack of better word focus on pirates seen all over the media including games (lots of small titles use piracy as a theme).

And also not even mentioning all the stories and works that are based on some pirate-based mysteries. Yes, they don't explore/base themselves off the 17-18th century piracy directly, but due to the use of the lore they still keep those kinds of pirates in people's minds. And just the whole pirate cliche in pop-culture beyond media as well. So when people learned about AC4, it wasn't 'ooooh, pirates', it was 'ugh, pirates', because pirates were all over the place. Ironically, after AC4 I actually hasn't seen as much pirate-related content.

It's a good enough reason for me. Hey, you know....I'd like it if people I dunno, didn't ask me about camels and pyramids every 5 seconds? There's more than camels and pyramids in Egypt. It's either that or black people claiming more right to Egypt because Ancient Egyptians were black. I'd like if people asked me about anything else that doesn't pertain to Ancient Egypt, that'd be nice.

This kind of stereotyping is applicable to any setting. Look, if there's a work about the Crusades, it's usually about the Third Crusade or in the best case scenario about events leading up to the Third Crusade. Not First, or any other. Third. With a focus on Richard and Saladin no less. That's what happens with Crusades. American Revolution has its stereotypes as well, evidence enough is the outcry that the media started over presentation of George Washington in AC3 (and then the Tyranny DLC made it even worse). So Ancient Egypt is not alone in stereotypes existing for it. It just happens that it's the topic that's closest to you culturally, which is why you notice it more.

Not like Ancient Egypt. Like I said, that's ALL everyone knows about Egypt. It's a generational thing. The Crusades and the American Revolution are not as overexposed as Ancient Egypt. What's more, media about the American Revolution has a completely different context. It's made by Americans, that's why there's a lot of it. And even then, it's not as much as Ancient Egypt. The American Revolution is an event. For every game about the Revolution, there's 10 about something OTHER than the revolution. There's no such thing for Egypt. For every 10 games about Ancient Egypt, there's NONE about anything else Egypt.

Honestly, off the top of my head I can't remember any work of media about Ancient Egypt right now. Right now I can only remember the X-Men Apocalypse movie where the climax happened in modern Cairo (though, to be fair, the prologues there was in Ancient Egypt). But even if every work about Egypt is about Ancient Egypt, because not every work is about Egypt it's diluted.

This is semantics at worst and a disagreement at best. As I said, I don't think AC can offer anything new that hasn't been already offered by other genres. Pretty much all of the genres that used Ancient Egypt put together outweigh any uniqueness AC can hope to add. Let's say Ancient Egypt was a painting. A painting that a lot of artists collaborated on. There's this one artist who says "Hmm....I can add something to this" and proceeds to add a dot in the middle. That's AC set in Ancient Egypt.

The same can be said of AC4. Even with its unique and very realistic portrayal of pirates of that era that I would even go as far to say is not present in any other media about pirates (or at the least wasn't), it's still a small dot in the whole painting of pirates. Regardless, it's still unique, beloved, and did a lot of things that other media didn't about the pirate genre. If one is to make an AC set in Ancient Egypt, I don't see a reason why it can't be like that as well, but for that setting in particular.

Assassin_M
11-24-2016, 09:31 PM
Monkey Island, Age of Pirates (and however else the Sea Dogs sequels were translated into English), Pirates of the Burning Sea, Port Royale 3, East India Company, Risen 2, Raven Cry, Pirates of the Black Cove. Those are just some of the games of the top of my head that were released in the 5-year period before AC4 that use or are heavily inspired by the Golden Age of Pirates thematic. Not to mention there are classics like Captain Blood and Treasure Island that are always on peoples minds. Plus this was also when Black Sails was announced and promoted and eventually released (a pirate-based TV show). And I'm not even mentioning all the more 'casual' for the lack of better word focus on pirates seen all over the media including games (lots of small titles use piracy as a theme).

And also not even mentioning all the stories and works that are based on some pirate-based mysteries. Yes, they don't explore/base themselves off the 17-18th century piracy directly, but due to the use of the lore they still keep those kinds of pirates in people's minds. And just the whole pirate cliche in pop-culture beyond media as well.
Cool, there are way more games set in Ancient Egypt. That said, I bet that most people have never even heard of these games. I myself have never heard of half of those. I didn't deny that there isn't a lot of pirates in media, I said that what people had in mind were the more famous things like Sid Mier and PoC and that there's WAY more Ancient Egypt than pirates in media.

So when people learned about AC4, it wasn't 'ooooh, pirates', it was 'ugh, pirates', because pirates were all over the place. Ironically, after AC4 I actually hasn't seen as much pirate-related content.
That was only here. Anywhere else I went, people were actually "Ooooh pirates"

This kind of stereotyping is applicable to any setting. Look, if there's a work about the Crusades, it's usually about the Third Crusade or in the best case scenario about events leading up to the Third Crusade. Not First, or any other. Third. With a focus on Richard and Saladin no less. That's what happens with Crusades. American Revolution has its stereotypes as well, evidence enough is the outcry that the media started over presentation of George Washington in AC3 (and then the Tyranny DLC made it even worse).
It's absolutely incomparable to the Ancient Egypt stereotype. The AR and the Third Crusade are events, not time periods. They don't espouse eternal cultural images in your head that one tends to stick to an entire civilization. Absolutely no one sees an Arab or Muslim and thinks "Ooohhh crusades". Absolutely not. I don't even know how you went there. My point still stands. The vast majority of cultural representations of America and the Middle East are not narrowed to the AR nor the third crusade. Granted, Muslims are always sword wielding terrorists but that's beside the point.

So Ancient Egypt is not alone in stereotypes existing for it. It just happens that it's the topic that's closest to you culturally, which is why you notice it more.
Never said that. We're obviously talking about Ancient Egypt and I'm from Egypt, so obviously I'll notice it more. Again, don't know why this is relevant.

Honestly, off the top of my head I can't remember any work of media about Ancient Egypt right now.
Oh, well that's convenient.

The same can be said of AC4. Even with its unique and very realistic portrayal of pirates of that era that I would even go as far to say is not present in any other media about pirates (or at the least wasn't), it's still a small dot in the whole painting of pirates. Regardless, it's still unique, beloved, and did a lot of things that other media didn't about the pirate genre. If one is to make an AC set in Ancient Egypt, I don't see a reason why it can't be like that as well, but for that setting in particular.
Nope. AC IV is far far FAR from a dot on a giant painting. AC IV is more like a different painting. Smaller and compact; however. AC IV is like an artist looked at the huge painting of pirates and thought "Hmm....You know? I'll make a different painting". AC IV is to pirates as RDR was to westerns. All the games you listed are satires, exaggerated fantasies. AC IV is not a part of that cycle, no need for me to really explain why.

Farlander1991
11-24-2016, 09:51 PM
Cool, there are way more games set in Ancient Egypt. That said, I bet that most people have never even heard of these games. I myself have never heard of half of those. I didn't deny that there isn't a lot of pirates in media, I said that what people had in mind were the more famous things like Sid Mier and PoC and that there's WAY more Ancient Egypt than pirates in media.

a) All these games were games that at the time made to plenty of news, were featured in storefronts, etc. Gamers certainly heard and knew about them. At the time at least. A lot of them are forgotten now, granted. But apparently so are the Ancient Egypt games you're talking about.
a.1) Also, Monkey Island, come on, everyone knows that one :p
b) I listed a bunch of pirate games of the top of my head that were released or prominent 5 years before AC4 (and mind you, there are a lot more pirate games I can list if we go beyond that). If you want your argument to be valid, list a bunch of Ancient Egypt games that were prominent in the past 5 years.

That was only here. Anywhere else I went, people were actually "Ooooh pirates"

That wasn't only here. End of 2012/beginning of 2013 was the time period when I was just starting to get active on the forums, so at the time I still focused a lot more on external sources for fan feedback, and there was certainly a lot of 'ugh pirates'.

It's absolutely incomparable to the Ancient Egypt stereotype. The AR and the Third Crusade are events, not time periods. They don't espouse eternal cultural images in your head that one tends to stick to an entire civilization. Absolutely no one sees an Arab or Muslim and thinks "Ooohhh crusades". Absolutely not. I don't even know how you went there. My point still stands. The vast majority of cultural representations of America and the Middle East are not narrowed to the AR nor the third crusade. Granted, Muslims are always sword wielding terrorists but that's beside the point.

It is absolutely comparable. You're speaking to a member of Romanian culture which people, when mentioned, can't help but think 'vampires and werewolves'. And Dracula. And pretty much nothing else. We don't even have a time period associated with us, just monsters and spooky creepy villages. Stereotypes in terms of cultural images exist everywhere, for everyone, for each culture, civilization, time period, event.

Oh, well that's convenient.

Not less convenient than you not backing anything you say regarding Ancient Egypt in media and games with concrete examples :p

Nope. AC IV is far far FAR from a dot on a giant painting. AC IV is more like a different painting. Smaller and compact; however. AC IV is like an artist looked at the huge painting of pirates and thought "Hmm....You know? I'll make a different painting". AC IV is to pirates as RDR was to westerns. All the games you listed are satires, exaggerated fantasies. AC IV is not a part of that cycle, no need for me to really explain why.

Eh, that's a matter of perception. To the one who was played AC4 and RDR, okay, they're different paintings, I'll grant you that. But in the grand scheme of things, culturally speaking, both are just dots on the painting of pirate and western fantasy.

And I am a living example of that. I haven't played RDR. I don't know what it's like. I only know that it's a western, so for me at the moment it's no different from any other westerns. That's what people who casually see Black Flag and haven't played it would think about the pirate theme as well.

Farlander1991
11-24-2016, 10:25 PM
Here's what I found. Not sure how up to date these lists are, but it is what it is.

MobyGames' list of games with Ancient Egyptian setting or based on Ancient Egypt. (http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/setting-egyptian-/offset,0/so,1d/) 179 games. The prominent titles in that setting stopped in 2009 with the re-release of Serious Sam, latest release of Immortal Cities franchise and also the Ankh game series, and Children of the Nile. Everything after that (and that's not much) is much lesser titles that are not wide-spread in the slightest.
Compare it to the list of games with Pirate setting or based on piracy. (http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/theme-sea-pirates) 235 games. And I can see why don't remember a lot of pirate titles after Black Flag - there's really not a lot of them.

Lysette88
11-24-2016, 11:43 PM
I just wonder, where the notion comes from, @Assassin_M, that ancient egyptians would have been black. Nubians are black and there was a period in egypts history, where Nubian Pharaohs ruled egypt, when they invaded and conquered egypt. But this does not mean that the population of egypt would have been black. It is pretty unlikely that they looked that much different from how they look like nowadays, genetic changes are not happening that fast and 3000 years are like nothing in the course of evolution, just minor changes happen in such a short amount of time and especially skin color depends a lot on the amount of sun light a region gets - and this has basically not changed. So there is no reason that people would have become significantly lighter in skin color.

Megas_Doux
11-25-2016, 02:51 AM
Back in the day I used to think the setting ALONE could make or destroy a game single handedly for me. However AC IV is my favorite one in the series - I would've NEVER said that in 2009 about a game set during the Golden Age of Piracy- whereas and Unity and Syndicate -the former set in my dream location since AC II and the latter on a another favorite of mine- ended up being what we know...

I'm much more open these days, heck even to a game set in "feudal Japan" even though I still dislike its most rabid fans who claim "an AC in Japan would be the best thing ever" and magically solve every problem "cause ninjas".

In terms of Ancient Egypt I admit I do like the idea, a lot in fact. The setting has the potential to emulate my favorite formula: Maybe two middle sized urban environments surrounded by a rural hub in the from of the Nile and may be the Valley of the Kings during the New kingdom. Regarding of why I pick that period in particular besides my mere personal preference for it is because I want a huge change of pace to something never done in the series before. Egypt during the Mamluk Sultanate for instance would fee kinda similar to AC I and so the Napoleonic wars period to Unity, for example.

PS. If not "that Ancient Egpyt" itself I would love to visit the Ptolemaic Period.

marvelfannumber
11-25-2016, 09:20 AM
I have been summoned....

I don't know, I usually tend to agree with you M, but most Ancient Egyptian movies that weren't complete flops are closing in on being 50 years old. Not to mention that most depictions of Ancient Egypt in media is highly romanticized. Ancient Egypt also spans for 4000 years, which is a time span that includes alot of changes. Old Kingdom Egypt would have a drastically different feel from Ptolemaic Egypt for example.

I mean, even countries that have lasted half that amount of time change completely. The Roman Empire in 1000 A.D would be completely unrecognizable when compared to the Roman Empire in 50 A.D.

PS. If not "that Ancient Egpyt" itself I would love to visit the Ptolemaic Period.

Ptolemaic Egypt would be quite interesting as you would have a unique mix of Hellenistic and Egyptian culture going on that's not shown too often in media. Granted the Cleopatra thing is kind of overdone, but it doesn't necessarily have to focus on that or even be set during that time (Ptolemaic Egypt lasted for almost 300 years after all).

I just wonder, where the notion comes from, @Assassin_M, that ancient egyptians would have been black. Nubians are black and there was a period in egypts history, where Nubian Pharaohs ruled egypt, when they invaded and conquered egypt. But this does not mean that the population of egypt would have been black. It is pretty unlikely that they looked that much different from how they look like nowadays

I actually did a bit of research on this topic and I stumbled upon multiple studies conducted within the last 15-20 years which concluded that only 10% of Egyptians have pure Arab descent. Not to mention that rural peoples would not have been affected by the Arab Conquest as the Arabs mostly settled in the cities, but rural Egyptians don't look particularily different from other Egyptians.

Then there are also the Copts who are the native population of Egypt. They still spoke Egyptian until the 18th Century and were historically not allowed to marry non-Copts...they're not black either and don't look too different from modern Egyptians.

It would have been the Nubians in Upper Egypt that would have been mostly black from what I have seen.

Galactus123
11-25-2016, 11:08 AM

I have watched some movies and they just make me want to play AC game set in Egypt even more. The Mummy(1932 and 1999) movies come to mind. The flashback scenes looked great. Ancient Egypt has always interested me. I have watched many documentaries. I hope we can climb the pyramids and slide down. :D

Lysette88
11-25-2016, 02:25 PM
I actually did a bit of research on this topic and I stumbled upon multiple studies conducted within the last 15-20 years which concluded that only 10% of Egyptians have pure Arab descent. Not to mention that rural peoples would not have been affected by the Arab Conquest as the Arabs mostly settled in the cities, but rural Egyptians don't look particularily different from other Egyptians.

Then there are also the Copts who are the native population of Egypt. They still spoke Egyptian until the 18th Century and were historically not allowed to marry non-Copts...they're not black either and don't look too different from modern Egyptians.

It would have been the Nubians in Upper Egypt that would have been mostly black from what I have seen.

Yeah, that is basically what I meant - black people in that area were Nubians and those african kingdoms, who lived far more south. Egypt had a couple of Nubian Pharaohs during a certain period of time, where egypt was invaded, but this was just a relatively short period of time in the long history of egypt. But even during that time they were most likely not the majority - so that the statement, that egyptians were black in ancient egypt does not make sense. Well "black" in the american sense of black, this would make sense, but not black as it is used in the rest of the world for deeply dark skinned people.

Lysette88
11-25-2016, 02:36 PM
I have watched some movies and they just make me want to play AC game set in Egypt even more. The Mummy(1932 and 1999) movies come to mind. The flashback scenes looked great. Ancient Egypt has always interested me. I have watched many documentaries. I hope we can climb the pyramids and slide down. :D

Well this should be possible - what you see today as pyramids is just the base and it looks more like steps made from stone blocks. The plaster, which was put over it to make it a smooth surface eroded in those thousands of years, in which the pyramids were matter to wind and dust storms, this plaster layer is gone and that is why those pyramids look so stepped nowadays.

Btw there is google street view available right around some of the pyramids, so you can have a look at it as if you would be there. I do not remember the URL, but I guess you will be able to find it. It is quite impressive, I had a look at it some months ago, it is near enough to see the details and as well how big these stone blocks actually were - there are unfinished ones near the base of those pyramids, very good to see in google street view.

There are a couple of other things, which impressed me - for example that the egyptians were able to sail against the wind, using a sideboard, which allowed them to sail at a steeper angle and actually benefit from lift effects for propulsion. So they were technologically more advanced than those who came after them for more than thousand years. Sailing against the wind had to be reinvented far later in history. I always wondered, what kind of knowledge got lost, when the library in Alexandria was destroyed by early christians. Pagan culture was quite advanced and wisdom and knowledge was lost by this. A quite good movie about this event was the movie "Agora", which is mainly about Hypathia of Alexandria, but it is related to this event.

marvelfannumber
11-25-2016, 03:00 PM
I always wondered, what kind of knowledge got lost, when the library in Alexandria was destroyed by early christians. Pagan culture was quite advanced and wisdom and knowledge was lost by this. A quite good movie about this event was the movie "Agora", which is mainly about Hypathia of Alexandria, but it is related to this event.
As someone who's field of interest is Late Antiquity, I can tell you that movie is really bad on authenticity levels.

First off the Library of Alexandria was likely destroyed multiple times by fires in earlier centuries as by the late 4th Century (the time period of the film) the library was gone. What the Christians destroyed was the Serapeum which was a temple dedicated to the hybrid god Serapis, that at one point (prior to the movies events) housed some books.

There was likely also no "mass loss of knowledge" like pop-history usually says. The library of Alexandria was merely 2nd rate in the 4th Century and most of the books/scrolls were already copied and studied in the Library of Athens and Constantinople (the latter would continue to operate until 1204.ntinople (the latter would continue to operate until 1204.

There's alot more nuance to the topic and the Classical World transitioned into the Modern World, there was no Gibbon style catastrophic collapse.

(Not to mention the costume design...people wearing togas and Roman Soilders wearing lorica segmentata in the 4th Century?! That's the equivalent of making a WWII movie with muskets and flintlocks)

Lysette88
11-25-2016, 03:27 PM
Ah, thank you for this information, so I will have to look into this a bit more - I actually did never doubt any of this movie, but maybe I will have to correct my view on this time period after what you have told me now. I will see what i can find. Thank you again for stepping in.

marvelfannumber
11-25-2016, 03:42 PM
Ah, thank you for this information, so I will have to look into this a bit more - I actually did never doubt any of this movie, but maybe I will have to correct my view on this time period after what you have told me now. I will see what i can find. Thank you again for stepping in.
No problem, it's such a shame Late Antiquity/The early Middle Ages have been brushed off as a time of backwardness and darkness by enlightenment historians like Gibbon. Most scholars disagree with this view now, but it's still very prevalent in popular culture.

I would particularily reccommend Late Roman (Byzantine) history if you're looking for the best examples of continuity between the Classical and Medieval worlds.
(For example, did you know that the Great Palace of Constantinople had steam fueled robotic animal statues in the 10th Century, that were based on concepts from Ancient Greek texts? Probably not)

Lysette88
11-25-2016, 04:20 PM
Correct, I didn't know that - but I am aware of that wealthy Roman homes had floor heating and that Romans had a quite elaborate way to transport water into the city of Rome (what is impressive when you compare it for example how long it took London to have decent water delivery from the surrounding area). Or think of the roman concrete, which is still unmatched in endurance over time. People in ancient times were not stupid, they had just less possibilities to work with. Well, later as well, if one looks at the engineering concepts of cathedrals for example - how did this people know, that they had to build it in that way, when the building process took often more than one or two generations to complete?- Things like this impress me quite a lot. These people were certainly not stupid or less able to do things, they had just less possibilities to work with.

LoyalACFan
11-25-2016, 05:29 PM
My only qualm with Ancient Egypt as a setting is the architecture. Obviously, the Egyptians had extremely grandiose temples and monuments, but from my understanding, the bulk of their cities were comprised of simple one-story dwellings. Might be boring for parkour. Other than that, I'm totally on board with it, especially since it gives them a little more artistic license with the historical details. As for Egypt being overdone in the media... *coughcoughAmericanRevolutioncoughcoughVictorianLo ndoncough*

marvelfannumber
11-25-2016, 06:02 PM
My only qualm with Ancient Egypt as a setting is the architecture. Obviously, the Egyptians had extremely grandiose temples and monuments, but from my understanding, the bulk of their cities were comprised of simple one-story dwellings. Might be boring for parkour. Other than that, I'm totally on board with it, especially since it gives them a little more artistic license with the historical details. As for Egypt being overdone in the media... *coughcoughAmericanRevolutioncoughcoughVictorianLo ndoncough*

What the housing was like really depends on the period they choose within the broad time period of "Ancient Egypt", but if I just take a shot in the dark and say it's the New Kingdom, most housing would look quite a bit like the poor region of Damascus in AC1, albeit with slightly shorter buildings. The streets would be very narrow and the housing very dense, so I don't think parkour would be too bad, especially since most roofs would be flat.

If it's set in Ptolemaic Egypt on the other hand, the houses would look more like Ancient Greece, so somewhat similar to what one would see in Monteriggioni, which would be even more ideal.

Galactus123
11-25-2016, 07:48 PM
Well this should be possible - what you see today as pyramids is just the base and it looks more like steps made from stone blocks. The plaster, which was put over it to make it a smooth surface eroded in those thousands of years, in which the pyramids were matter to wind and dust storms, this plaster layer is gone and that is why those pyramids look so stepped nowadays.

Btw there is google street view available right around some of the pyramids, so you can have a look at it as if you would be there. I do not remember the URL, but I guess you will be able to find it. It is quite impressive, I had a look at it some months ago, it is near enough to see the details and as well how big these stone blocks actually were - there are unfinished ones near the base of those pyramids, very good to see in google street view.

This is a great video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6X-1ShM8uA

Amazing video but you are not actually allowed to climb them. One of the pyramids actually still have some of the plaster near the top.

Lysette88
11-26-2016, 01:02 AM
This is a great video:

Amazing video but you are not actually allowed to climb them. One of the pyramids actually still have some of the plaster near the top.

Yeah, I was referring to that it could be possible in the game to slide down the pyramid, like was suggested - the pyramids had a smooth plastered surface, not like they appear today. Even, after I watched your video, it might be quite dangerous to slide down at such a steep angle for more than 150m.

To the design of ancient cities and antique boroughs of modern arabic and north african towns and cities: It is quite hot in those countries and having houses very near to each other with just small alleys and walkways between them offers a release from the heat, because there is a chance to have these alleys and streets for a longer time in shadow, so that it is much cooler there. This principle is even used in modern arabic cities, like the city of Masdar, which is still in construction in Abu Dhabi. The average temperature in this city's streets is about 10 degree lower than in the surrounding area, just because it's streets and alleys are very narrow. This all makes sense, it is not about being a poor district, that houses are nearer to each other, it is about the benefit of shadows in an overall very hot climate.

Another effect is the protection from sand storms, that is why there are basically no straight streets beside those, which were designed for triumph parades or to serve the gods and such. Ancient city design is to the most part practical and pragmatic to deal with the conditions of living in a hot and arid climate.

SixKeys
11-27-2016, 08:21 PM
This is a great video:

How do they not have tighter security around those things? O_o Seems like a really easy way to commit suicide if one were determined.

Lysette88
11-27-2016, 08:25 PM
Well, the climate is somewhat brutal there - temperatures are really unpleasant - not really a good location to commit suicide, i guess. A good location would be in Dubai, a base jump from the top of burj kalifah without parachute. Climate is similar brutal there, but at least you have air conditioning and elevators on the way up. - just kidding, even it is a bad joke.

Megas_Doux
11-27-2016, 09:51 PM
About climate and such....Gotta say I would love to wonder around during a sandstorm while something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoQcUnh3Kkk

Plays in the background.....

Lysette88
11-27-2016, 09:55 PM
That is an awesome track, I agree, something like this would be great.

Galactus123
11-28-2016, 09:20 AM
How do they not have tighter security around those things? O_o Seems like a really easy way to commit suicide if one were determined.

It was actually common in the past. They made it illegal at some point because it is too dangerous.

Locopells
11-28-2016, 12:33 PM
If you read the blog, he says the police showed up when he was about halfway up and started yelling at him, so he just put music on his headphones and ignored them...

...doesn't say what happened, when he came down again :nonchalance:.

http://i.imgur.com/8kKFfrZ.jpg (https://support.ubi.com)
Thanks to strigoi1958 for the sig!

marvelfannumber
11-28-2016, 12:50 PM
So considering this thread has kind of turned into the 2016/2017 edition of the old "Paris...Paris" thread, I guess I'll decorate it accordingly by posting some of the stuff we could see in Empire.

This is a very well made map of Ancient Egypt which shows all the major Ancient Cities (Aside from Cairo, I don't know why that's there):

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/17/Ancient_Egypt_map-en.svg

I very much doubt the game map will cover all of that, I can generously say the max size would stetch maybe from Rosetta in the north to Herakleopolis or Thebes in the south.

The most notable city throughout Ancient Egypt would be Memphis, which functioned as both the ceremonial capital and as a holy site for several of the religious cults. Not much remains of Ancient Memphis other than a few impressive statues, however some Arab descriptions have helped reconstruct some of it:

http://i.imgur.com/v6jzqyj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/L2YcqB4.jpg

"Enormous as are the extent and antiquity of this city, in spite of the frequent change of governments whose yoke it has borne, and the great pains more than one nation has been at to destroy it, to sweep its last trace from the face of the earth, to carry away the stones and materials of which it was constructed, to mutilate the statues which adorned it; in spite, finally, of all that more than four thousand years have done in addition to man, these ruins still offer to the eye of the beholder a mass of marvels which bewilder the senses and which the most skillful pens must fail to describe. The more deeply we contemplate this city the more our admiration rises, and every fresh glance at the ruins is a fresh source of delight ... The ruins of Memphis hold a half-day's journey in every direction."

-Abd-ul-Latif describing the ruins of Memphis in the 1200's.

In the deserts of the region surrounding Memphis you would have the original royal necropolis featuring several notworthy structures like the Red Pyramid, Bent Pyramid and most notably the oldest Pyramid in Egypt, the Stepped Pyramid of Djoser and it's surrounding complex (2648 B.C)

http://i.imgur.com/YJgd6Nd.jpg
(excuse the watermark, it was the best reconstruction I found).

A bit further north you end up at Giza which is of course the most famous site in Egypt, although in Ancient Egypt it would of course look quite different from today. There would be a canal built towards the Giza Plateau, connecting it to the Nile and the Pyramids would be covered in smooth, gleaming, white limestone casing stones which would them a smooth perfect pyramid shape (my question is, how on earth would you climb that? Here's a pretty good 3D reconstruction showing how it may have appeard in Ancient times around the era of the New Kingdom (1550 BC c. 1077 BC):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4-I7wNF5zM

Galactus123
11-28-2016, 03:01 PM
If you read the blog, he says the police showed up when he was about halfway up and started yelling at him, so he just put music on his headphones and ignored them...

...doesn't say what happened, when he came down again :nonchalance:.

http://i.imgur.com/8kKFfrZ.jpg (https://support.ubi.com)
Thanks to strigoi1958 for the sig!
Police did bring him to station after he came down and questioned him but they did let him go. After the video went viral they banned him from ever entering Egypt again. There are videos of other people climbing there too on Youtube.

I wonder if these images are really from the game:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/lUvg7FQ18pI/hqdefault.jpg

This was in ACIV
http://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/e07d2287f5b3e4455c0086fc31361000-650-80.jpg

Do they give any indication about the time period?

marvelfannumber
11-28-2016, 04:07 PM
I wonder if these images are really from the game:
This was in ACIV
http://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/e07d2287f5b3e4455c0086fc31361000-650-80.jpg

Osiris was never supposed to be an AC game, it was supposed to be a new IP apperantly but got put on hold and then cancelled once leaked. It wouldn't suprise me if they have borrowed some assets from it (although considering said assets must be over 5 years old I don't see how useful they would be).

Do they give any indication about the time period?

Well, considering the last screenshot shows what appears to be the Pyramid of Khafre under construction my guess would be around 2570 B.C during the Old Kingdom period. Then again Osiris was supposed to be a pretty fictionalized game so I don't know if they were going for a specific period.

Megas_Doux
11-28-2016, 04:11 PM
Pretty good info marvelfannumber. As expected.

DjTIME777
11-28-2016, 09:46 PM
Yeah, that is basically what I meant - black people in that area were Nubians and those african kingdoms, who lived far more south. Egypt had a couple of Nubian Pharaohs during a certain period of time, where egypt was invaded, but this was just a relatively short period of time in the long history of egypt. But even during that time they were most likely not the majority - so that the statement, that egyptians were black in ancient egypt does not make sense. Well "black" in the american sense of black, this would make sense, but not black as it is used in the rest of the world for deeply dark skinned people. If Ancient Egyptians weren't dark(Black), light(white), or Arab, then what were they?

marvelfannumber
11-28-2016, 10:15 PM
If Ancient Egyptians weren't dark(Black), light(white), or Arab, then what were they?
They were pretty darn similar to modern Egyptians, people on the coast would be of a mediterranean tone while those further south would get darker and darker. Once in Nubia (Sudan) people would be quite dark.

The Copts are the closest you'll get to seeing Ancient Egyptians (as they pretty much are Ancient Egyptians):

http://i.imgur.com/XVja22E.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/95Mgyyz.jpg

Galactus123
11-29-2016, 10:35 AM
Osiris was never supposed to be an AC game, it was supposed to be a new IP apperantly but got put on hold and then cancelled once leaked. It wouldn't suprise me if they have borrowed some assets from it (although considering said assets must be over 5 years old I don't see how useful they would be).

Well, considering the last screenshot shows what appears to be the Pyramid of Khafre under construction my guess would be around 2570 B.C during the Old Kingdom period. Then again Osiris was supposed to be a pretty fictionalized game so I don't know if they were going for a specific period.
Thanks for the info. I wonder why they included that image with the same character in ACIV then. Maybe it started as a new IP but they later changed their mind later.

marvelfannumber
11-29-2016, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the info. I wonder why they included that image with the same character in ACIV then. Maybe it started as a new IP but they later changed their mind later.

It's already been stated those were put there as red herrings/troll posts. Not the pictures specifically, but since the entire rest of the document was supposed to be a troll I don't see why the Osiris screen wouldn't be a troll.

GunnerGalactico
11-30-2016, 06:46 PM
I'm glad that things did not escalate here. I was a little worried about skimming through the posts in this thread.

I don't have a problem with Ancient Egypt per se, it offers many possibilities with regards to First Civ. origins and lore. For a fully-fledged AC game, I would like to see Egypt around the 12th century(around Altair's time) where there will be taller structures to free-run on. I honestly do see the appeal of the AE time period. It would be nice to see the all of the structures and buildings look in their prime, instead of ancient crumbling ruins. I would also love to see places like Babylon, Mesopotamia and England during the Dark Ages for an AC setting. I also would love to see Japan during the Heian and Sengoku Period or Meiji Restoration Era... and I'm certainly not one of those people who claim: "FJ is best setting eva coz it has ninjas". Sorry, just felt that I needed to say that. It kinda makes me feel a little disheartened when some fans (not the cool ones obviously) of Ancient Egypt shoot down Japan as a popular/most requested setting for AC. Anyways, I did not come here to argue. I would to see Egypt in a slightly later period used in an AC game. :)

Specifically during Ancient times if anyone would like to clairfy to me what the hype for it is about. I mean historians know next to nothing of what happened or who really existed or even how they even looked. Pictures are pretty deceiving too – mainly in how it usually paints the period to be some type of Utopia(which it likely wasn't, hence the term "interpretation".) Granted, it wasn't just all camels & deserts; but I'm just failing to see the appeal here.

Actually, historians do have quite substantial amount evidence to back-up their theories and facts on what might have happened during that time period. Saying that "they know next to nothing" might be pushing it a bit. :p

marvelfannumber
11-30-2016, 07:10 PM
Frankly I don't find Arabic Egypt to be that interesting in comparison. Alot of the cities would look kind of same-ey compared to AC1/Revelations, the climate would be much more dry so there would be less colors and exploring the Pyramids/Temples as ruins just feels like a wasted opportunity, just like how Rome was wasted in Brotherhood.

The minarets would make for good viewpoints, but I don't think the cities in Ancient Egypt would be that much worse, they'd be just as dense and the buildings would be a bit shorter which I think would be more ideal than tall buildings for assassinations.

GunnerGalactico
11-30-2016, 08:03 PM
^ The Pyramids, Obelisks, plus majority of the statues and Temples would still be intact... and wayyy better condition during the Islamic and Ottoman Period than during the 20th century. The only difference would be the inclusion of Mosques and other tall structures. Whether it would appeal to the general public is a matter of opinion, obviously.

marvelfannumber
11-30-2016, 08:08 PM
^ The Pyramids, Obelisks, plus majority of the statues and Temples would still be intact... and wayyy better condition during the Islamic and Ottoman Period than during the 20th century. The only difference would be the inclusion of Mosques and other tall structures. Whether it would appeal to the general public is a matter of opinion, obviously.

The vast majority of temples would be abandoned and stripped of marble, gold and other materials, the Sphinx would be buried in Sand, the Pyramids would also be buried and commonly looted of stone and the statues would have lost their paint ages ago with some also being buried in sand or having their heads chopped off, 1/3 of the Pharos would have collapsed and functioned as a Mosque, the city of Memphis was in ruins and in the process of demolition.

I have no clue how you came to the conclusion that the ancient sites would be in good condition...

GunnerGalactico
11-30-2016, 08:32 PM
The vast majority of temples would be abandoned and stripped of marble, gold and other materials, the Sphinx would be buried in Sand, the Pyramids would also be buried and commonly looted of stone and the statues would have lost their paint ages ago with some also being buried in sand or having their heads chopped off, 1/3 of the Pharos would have collapsed and functioned as a Mosque, the city of Memphis was in ruins and in the process of demolition.

I have no clue how you came to the conclusion that the ancient sites would be in good condition...

I guess I stand corrected. I confused Islamic period with Sassanian period. Excuse me, it's been a while since I had a discussion on Egypt during Ancient times and Middle Ages.

marvelfannumber
11-30-2016, 08:37 PM
I guess I stand corrected. I confused Islamic period with Sassanian period. Excuse me, it's been a while since I had a discussion on Egypt during Ancient times and Middle Ages.
The "Sassanian Period" was a brief military occupation that lasted for less than 10 years before the Romans under Heraclius took it back again. I think you're confusing it with the Acheamenid period?

GunnerGalactico
11-30-2016, 09:17 PM
The "Sassanian Period" was a brief military occupation that lasted for less than 10 years before the Romans under Heraclius took it back again. I think you're confusing it with the Acheamenid period?

I'm pretty sure I was talking about the period after the Romans conquered Egypt. I did say I was wrong, so you can cool it on the digs.

legendvinu
12-01-2016, 02:49 AM
Specifically during Ancient times if anyone would like to claify to me what the hype for it is about. I mean historians know next to nothing of what happened or who really existed or even how they even looked. Pictures are pretty deceiving too – mainly in how it usually paints the period to be some type of Utopia(which it likely wasn't, hence the term "interpretation".) Granted, it wasn't just all camels & deserts; but I'm just failing to see the appeal here.

For some reason I feel like the location itself would jive better if it was during perhaps the Ottoman rule, Napoleonic wars, or even the declare for independence in the 1900's. I dunno. There just seems to be as much a problem, I think, in going TOO far back in time as going forwards.

I'm more curious than anything regarding this, so don't be angriez :p

Don't You want to see How the Assassin's and Templars organisation were Born and both the organisation came into existence??

I also have some doubt that if it is a complete revamp of the series then will be missing the Leap of faith and the feel of the Assassin's?