PDA

View Full Version : Speculation on the Age structure & story

Eat_My_Shortz
08-17-2004, 06:36 PM
The structure of ages is very important in these games, and so far the developers have done a nice job for each game, giving it its own style.

From all the evidence given, I've had an idea as to how its sorted out.

Notice that in Achenar's journal in the trailer, you can get the idea that it is a recent journal - obviously from after he and Sirrus were trapped.
He talks about meeting Sirrus in Serenia - as if maybe there are links between the Red and Blue books!

I have no idea where Serenia came from but I assume it was around during the time of Myst. Perhaps Sirrus and Achenar both took linking books to Serenia when they entered the trap books (unbenownst to their father). So while they were trapped and unable to return to Myst/D'ni, they still had access to Serenia. Furthermore, they somehow managed to get back to Haven/Spire (Spire is Sirrus' red book age).

I can't explain why they didn't take a Myst book or how they were able to get back to their prison ages, but if you read Achenars journal you get the idea that they were free to move between these 3 ages (Achenar speaks of making a deal with Sirrus).

Now if you recall in Exile Atrus freed Saavedro inadvertantly because he linked to J'nanin and left the Tomahna book there.

By this same token, I believe Atrus freed Sirrus and Achenar like this. Yeesha says on the website, "Dad took me to a really neat place today. Its called Serenia."
Perhaps Atrus took Yeesha to visit Serenia and inadvertantly left a linking book to Tomahna, allowing the brothers their freedom.

I'm working off the Serenia wallpaper which says "main age"... so I think after you link to Haven or Spire from Tomahna you don't return there until later - instead you find the book to Serenia and from there you have access to Haven and Spire. (This being the game structure).

OK this was all speculation, a lot of it doesn't make sense, but I suppose they'll be able to explain it all away... do you think I got it? (Maybe theres something in the demo I haven't played which supports/denies it).

Eat_My_Shortz
08-17-2004, 06:36 PM
The structure of ages is very important in these games, and so far the developers have done a nice job for each game, giving it its own style.

From all the evidence given, I've had an idea as to how its sorted out.

Notice that in Achenar's journal in the trailer, you can get the idea that it is a recent journal - obviously from after he and Sirrus were trapped.
He talks about meeting Sirrus in Serenia - as if maybe there are links between the Red and Blue books!

I have no idea where Serenia came from but I assume it was around during the time of Myst. Perhaps Sirrus and Achenar both took linking books to Serenia when they entered the trap books (unbenownst to their father). So while they were trapped and unable to return to Myst/D'ni, they still had access to Serenia. Furthermore, they somehow managed to get back to Haven/Spire (Spire is Sirrus' red book age).

I can't explain why they didn't take a Myst book or how they were able to get back to their prison ages, but if you read Achenars journal you get the idea that they were free to move between these 3 ages (Achenar speaks of making a deal with Sirrus).

Now if you recall in Exile Atrus freed Saavedro inadvertantly because he linked to J'nanin and left the Tomahna book there.

By this same token, I believe Atrus freed Sirrus and Achenar like this. Yeesha says on the website, "Dad took me to a really neat place today. Its called Serenia."
Perhaps Atrus took Yeesha to visit Serenia and inadvertantly left a linking book to Tomahna, allowing the brothers their freedom.

I'm working off the Serenia wallpaper which says "main age"... so I think after you link to Haven or Spire from Tomahna you don't return there until later - instead you find the book to Serenia and from there you have access to Haven and Spire. (This being the game structure).

OK this was all speculation, a lot of it doesn't make sense, but I suppose they'll be able to explain it all away... do you think I got it? (Maybe theres something in the demo I haven't played which supports/denies it).

Devokan80
08-18-2004, 11:00 AM
We'll I thought I would give my speculations as well. I think what happened is that the brothers are trapped in the ages and Atrus and Cathrine would like to see their sons, so they construct that round linking chamber that you see at the end of the demo. What happens is that Atrus links to the prison ages, then link back to the round chamber, leaving the linking book in the age, and then close and lock the door behind them, so the brothers can link to Tomahna but they will still be trapped in the round chamber. From the looks of it they figured out a way to get out (broken door) and the rest is .... MYST 4 REVELATIONS!!!

[edit] Also if you have seen the trailer you are on a walkway and it starts shaking and falling apart (also in the demo you can see the broken bridge). I think that might be the time that the brothers blow away the door, causing the whole place to shake, all speculation of course.

JustBrett
08-18-2004, 11:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Devokan80:
I think what happened is that the brothers are trapped in the ages and Atrus and Cathrine would like to see their sons, so they construct that round linking chamber that you see at the end of the demo.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree. It seems like a prison visiting room, where S&A could talk to their parents without being released. They would have no place to go after their visit except back into the prison Ages.

I think you're right about the bridge falling, etc., at the time of their escape. That security seal was definitely blown out *from the inside*. Either Sirrus or Achenar must have found something in their Age that could be used to make an explosive. (I'm betting Achenar. The trailer did show us what looked like an explosion in the ship in Haven.)

------------------
*SLMW 1.0* No animals were harmed in the production of this message.

ZHorkmeister
08-18-2004, 12:07 PM
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/blink.gif Well -- it sure is HELL not having a home compooter right now since I cant play the demo ... y'all seem to have gathered a lot of information about Sirrus & Achenar -- and how they have been communicating with each other and their parents....

But a lot of what I speculated on has seemingly been correct -- I KNEW all along Atrus & Catherine simply could not live with themselves if they didn't see / visit / talk with their " imprisoned " sons .... I place the word imprisoned within quotation marks now -- because I now believe Sirrus & Achenar are no longer truly, classically imprisoned --- they are very much in fact FREE !! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/784.gif

Ohhhh they may not necessarily be able to link back to home and run around free --- but they sure as hell HAVE A LOT OF RUNNING AROUND ROOM.... I knew it ... I knew Atrus & Catherine couldn't let their sons live in a 10X12 cell room .... the word " imprisoned " as far as Atrus & Catherine ( and perhaps the whole D'Ni culture ) is concerned, actually means " limited " http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'm starting to think Myst IV is evolving into a game whereby the player along with Yeesha -- seeks out a truce -- a peace -- whereby everyone can live with " the situation " at hand.... barring that --- then to a finality of some sort -- and that usually means.....

Death http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/784.gif

Eat_My_Shortz
08-22-2004, 04:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>y'all seem to have gathered a lot of information about Sirrus & Achenar -- and how they have been communicating with each other and their parents....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
No its all speculation.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>the word " imprisoned " as far as Atrus & Catherine ( and perhaps the whole D'Ni culture ) is concerned, actually means " limited " <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
More accurately, segregated from the rest of society.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>the player along with Yeesha <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You don't meet Yeesha until later - she is kindapped.

Interesting theories guys. I like them except where do you think Serenia fits into all of this?