PDA

View Full Version : A Unity question that has bugged me for awhile

Master Tarvos
11-11-2016, 04:42 PM
I recently started replaying Unity and rediscovered something that I have wondered about for quite a while.

What is the deal with all these people carrying crosses around the city? I can't think of a good reason so I came up with some of my own -

1. It's a punishment of some sort.
2. There is a shortage of small crosses in churches of Paris.
3. There is an abundance of small crosses in Paris and they are taking them to be destroyed.

So if you have the actual answer (or a good guess) then please post it here.

Master Tarvos

cawatrooper9
11-11-2016, 04:59 PM
I don't know specifically what you're referring to (I'm terrible about noticing little details like this in games) but my guess is it had to do with the de-Christianization of France at the time- either, as you say in pt. 3, that they're being taken to be destroyed/confiscated, or that it's some kind of counter-movement to the more anti-Christian sentiment.

joelsantos24
11-11-2016, 06:51 PM
Well, I wouldn't say anti-Christian sentiment from the populace itself. After all, France remains one of the most devote Christian countries in the World, to this day, as Portugal, Spain and Italy.

The issue here, concerns the revolutionary movement, since the Church was one of it's major targets, for being regarded, in league with the monarchy itself, as a symbol of power and control. One of the measures applied by the revolutionary committees, once the monarchy fell, was to disappropriate the Church of all it's rights, properties and possessions. As you might imagine, this started a sacking of art pieces and Christian iconography in general. Hence the men running around Paris with crosses and such objects.

Master Tarvos
11-12-2016, 09:49 AM
Well thank you for that info joelsantos24, and I can see your point very clearly. One other thing I have been wondering about, there are these women walking around the city with what look like huge thermos's on their backs. Anyone have a clue what they are??

LoyalACFan
11-17-2016, 07:33 AM
I always assumed they were for makeshift grave markers, what with all the mass executions and whatnot. No idea if that's correct though.

Sigma 1313
11-17-2016, 08:41 AM
I always assumed it was because they were being stolen from the churches to be sold or melted down for money.