PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Favorite Progression System?

Sigma 1313
11-11-2016, 12:53 AM
Throughout the games, there have been a great deal of progression systems for health, armor, weapons, banking, location availability, and mission availability. I'd love to hear what your favorite has been, and how you think the next game should be. Below is a short description of how each game progressed.

ASSASSIN'S CREED (1) - Gave player ability to use all combat and move mechanics before taking them away and dolling them out in small quantities throughout the entire game. Each sequence offered at least 1 new open area to fully explore, complete side missions, and find collectibles and one new assassination. As a result, the game while giving you some choices, became restrictive and linear.

ASSASSIN'S CREED 2 - Gave player money progression and ability to buy new armor, weapons, and consumables and player's leisure. Side quests no longer were mandatory for 100% sync every sequence. Completing a sequence gave access to new weapons, armor, paintings, upgrades, side quests, and locations. The new economic system and villa progression was introduced, giving a reason to want to purchase all weapons and paintings. The Best armors and weapons are only attainable near the end of the game. Game was more open than previous entry, but less so than later ones. Introduced a few mechanics, money, and economic system.

ASSASSIN'S CREED BROTHERHOOD - Increased villa idea to entire city of Rome while still sectioning off parts of the city until player completed the right sequence.The ability to take money you earned was moved from a single box to a network of banks. New side missions became available upon attaining a certain synchronization, while the majority of the side quests were available fairly early on. Introduced several new types of side quests, expanded on old ones, and limited upgrade progression to freeing economic zones. Continued similar armor and upgrade system from AC2, with an ability to buy old abilities from Leonardo. However the best Armor and weapons were only attainable near the end of the game. Assassin Recruits were introduced and mild changes could be made to them, largely concerning skill point allocation into weapons or armor. They could only attain Level 10. Introduced Horses in cities and reworked fast travel.

ASSASSIN'S CREED REVELATIONS - Continued idea of economic zones having to be liberated while introducing Templars ability to retake economic zones until guarded by recruits. Painting shops were changed with books, but unlike with AC2 and ACB, no discernible difference was made to the hideout. Furthermore, buying of economic zone shops of goods would increase the likelihood of Templars attacking your economic zones. Despite this, the ability to buy weapons and armor was pretty much unchanged, with the exception of the ability to get the best armor by 2/3rd of the way done with the main story, rather than in Sequence 10/12(14) or 7/9. The number of side missions was decreased drastically, and the majority of the missions like Assassin Tombs from previous games were relegated to primary missions. However this also allowed 3 storylines to played in different orders (Ezio killing Templars, Ezio helping Sophia and finding memory seals, and Ezio reliving Altair's life). Templar side quests from Brotherhood were changed to 2 mission story arcs with certain assassins where they can be leveled up to 15 and guard a district indegini Introduced hookblade and bomb crafting, got rid of horses in cities.

ASSASSIN'S CREED 3 - Completely scrapped economic zones and the ability to control areas and make money from a stable income. Instead both cities were divided into 3 zones that Templars controlled. Completing random side missions would lessen their control and eventually allow you to recruit one assassin which could be leveled up to 10. Each Assassin had a different special ability, but had no real customization. Armor was removed from the game, and the only items players could buy at shops were outfits (dyes), consumables, new swords, and new guns. This proved semi-redundant, as by the time the player has free roam in Sequence 6, they already have the best tomahawk, and by sequence 4 they have a silent and powerful weapon (for free), the bow and arrow. The upgrades the player could get were limited to convoy and ammo upgrades in the new crafting menu. To get the upgrades, the player must complete side missions to level up artisans while also collecting the correct parts to craft the upgrades, that way you can trade more. Trading is primarily done by sending goods that you can craft or by sending goods that were from animals that you hunted and killed. This was the only way to make money as the salaried economic zones were removed. The sailing system was introduced, and the player could upgrade the ship using money only. All upgrades are available from Sequence 6. Several side missions like assassination contracts and fetch quests are available by entering the city. Some, like homestead missions are unlocked by beginning a new sequence. Finally, some side quests are opened up by obtaining collectibles.

ASSASSIN'S CREED 4 - This new iteration removes the assassin recruit system, and enhances the naval combat system. On top of the enhancements made, the player is able to access the majority of naval upgrades, crafting upgrades, and side missions at the end of sequence 2, and able to buy most weapons, outfits, and art during sequence 2. Several weapons are only available by completing missions, and several locations are only available once the player progresses far enough in the story.

ASSASSIN'S CREED ROGUE - Continued similar systems to Assassin's Creed 4, however several items, upgrades, and side quests are only playable upon joining Templars. The best pistol is only available upon completion of the modern day. Salaried economic zones return and allow minor improvements to buildings throughout the world to increase your salary. Several items are given to the player through the story, namely the air gun and grenades.

ASSASSIN'S CREED UNITY - From the end of sequence 2, the player can buy any item that is unlocked, including the best armor and weapons in the game. All co-op and side missions are unlocked at this point. Despite that, the player is unable to buy all the skills as they are blocked until more sequences are finished. Level is based on your equipment rating. Salaried economic zones return, but the salary is primarily based on Cafe Theatre upgrades and side missions.

ASSASSIN'S CREED SYNDICATE - Like Unity, almost all upgrades, side missions, and areas of the map are available from Sequence 3. Multiple items are only available upon completion of certain side missions. Level is based on skillpoints spent on skills, and skill points are generally gained by earning enough experience points. Items can be used once the player is the right level. As a result, the best armor and weapons can be used from Sequence 3 if the player grinds enough. World War 1 simulation can be played upon reaching a high enough synchronization, and sequence 8 is available as soon as 3 districts are liberated.

ASSASSIN'S CREED CHRONICLES - Linear progression for primary items with secondary boosts and upgrades for completing levels with enough points.

Sigma 1313
11-11-2016, 01:01 AM
Personally, my favorite was Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. I'd really like to see a return of the 2 and Brotherhood style weapons and armor system with a cross between Shadow of Mordor and Assassin's Creed Syndicate for mission unlocks (liberating districts and killing generals) and the Unity/Syndicate way of keeping the world open and directing you in the easier areas at first. If you do not start as an assassin, I don't want the assassin missions available immediately like in 4.

cawatrooper9
11-11-2016, 03:48 PM
I voted ACR. I like ACB, but ACR brought a little more (both good and bad) to the table, and I appreciate it for that.

SixKeys
11-11-2016, 09:42 PM
AC4 had a great progression system in that unlike most AC games (at the time) it didn't rely on Animus walls to prevent the player from entering areas that weren't unlocked yet. Instead it simply made those areas so difficult as to be impossible to enter when you were low-level. Same principle, but it feels a lot more natural. It makes sense that Edward and his puny little ship wouldn't be strong enough at the beginning of the game to beat level 3 Man-o-Wars.

The idea of crafting your own gear was fine, too. You couldn't unlock the better armor until you naturally progress in the story, as it would take you to new areas with new animals. The only thing that didn't make sense was the ridiculous requirements for some gear, like needing two white whale skins to craft a small ammo pouch.

cawatrooper9
11-11-2016, 11:38 PM
AC4 had a great progression system in that unlike most AC games (at the time) it didn't rely on Animus walls to prevent the player from entering areas that weren't unlocked yet. Instead it simply made those areas so difficult as to be impossible to enter when you were low-level. Same principle, but it feels a lot more natural. It makes sense that Edward and his puny little ship wouldn't be strong enough at the beginning of the game to beat level 3 Man-o-Wars.

The idea of crafting your own gear was fine, too. You couldn't unlock the better armor until you naturally progress in the story, as it would take you to new areas with new animals. The only thing that didn't make sense was the ridiculous requirements for some gear, like needing two white whale skins to craft a small ammo pouch.

Dang it, now I want to change my answer. Well put!

Lysette88
11-12-2016, 12:40 AM
I like the progression system in Syndicate and Unity the most and voted for Syndicate - a perk system with not too many level barriers. If you progress in the story or not does nearly not matter once you have sequence 3 done, which is basically part of the intro sequences to gain access to your special tools. Otherwise there is a great deal of freedom on how to progress and when, which I liked a lot. The gang system with perks for upgrading your gang and increasing the strength and amount of gang members throughout the boroughs is quite nice as well. No unnecessary hurdles and quite a lot of freedom how to play. But there is a downside to it, like it happened to me first time playing Syndicate - one can easily overpower oneself without to have progressed in the story and once this happened, the story is missing it's challenging element - so one has to be careful and wise with this system.

Now when I think of it, maybe I should have voted for Unity, which avoided this by gaining skills just by progression in the storyline - on the other hand, I really enjoyed the freedom to decide about how to gain my skill points. Ok, well, I will stay with Syndicate, it is the system with more freedom and more open-world.

Btw great job on summarizing the different systems, Sigma 1313, thank you for that.

Sigma 1313
11-12-2016, 01:18 AM

I personally like the way Unity sectioned off the world better, because it kept the organic feel while also making it harder to reach the highest rank prior to progressing farther in the story. I also hated how the majority of the missions were available so early on. Why the hell is Edward able to complete assassination contracts before meeting the assassins? Plus all weapons are available from the start. Every time I start a new game, I just save up like 15k from the beginning to get one of the best weapons immediately.

SixKeys
11-12-2016, 04:17 AM
I personally like the way Unity sectioned off the world better, because it kept the organic feel while also making it harder to reach the highest rank prior to progressing farther in the story. I also hated how the majority of the missions were available so early on. Why the hell is Edward able to complete assassination contracts before meeting the assassins? Plus all weapons are available from the start. Every time I start a new game, I just save up like 15k from the beginning to get one of the best weapons immediately.

I agree about the assassination contracts, that was dumb. I'm not completely sure but I seem to recall AC4's weapon and outfit progression was more like AC2. Some stuff got unlocked as you progressed in the story. And some of the best ones were locked behind naval contracts and Abstergo challenges.

Sigma 1313
11-12-2016, 04:34 AM
I agree about the assassination contracts, that was dumb. I'm not completely sure but I seem to recall AC4's weapon and outfit progression was more like AC2. Some stuff got unlocked as you progressed in the story. And some of the best ones were locked behind naval contracts and Abstergo challenges.
I think you're thinking of Rogue, where several outfits and weapons are locked until you beat the game. But all completing assassination contracts gives you the best pistols, and completing all naval missions gives you the best swords. All other weapons are available from the start. There are a few outfits that are side quest related, but Rogue has more. But because you get the ship and can engage in piracy immediately (without the tutorial), you can get the upgrades you want and immediately complete those. My last playthrough I did it by sequence 6, and that was after buying the second best weapons sequence 2 by just pickpocketing and looting everyone.