PDA

View Full Version : How far have you gotten in dynamic campaigns?

mike_espo
02-23-2004, 10:52 AM
Just curious. I have been playing an E4b campaign in the Crimea. I have changed the settings to easy to recreate the early course of barbarossa. I still cannot get past a few missions. The major problem is flak. I got 7 missions into the campaign, shooting down one fighter, and destroying several railcars and trucks. Then wham! Direct hit from a 85mm flak gun while attacking a train. This is the most successful I have done in these campaigns. Flak got me on three other occasions.

I know the Emil is not really a fighter-bomber, but it seems unrealistic that flak would be that deadly.

Opinions?

thanks

mike_espo
02-23-2004, 10:52 AM
Just curious. I have been playing an E4b campaign in the Crimea. I have changed the settings to easy to recreate the early course of barbarossa. I still cannot get past a few missions. The major problem is flak. I got 7 missions into the campaign, shooting down one fighter, and destroying several railcars and trucks. Then wham! Direct hit from a 85mm flak gun while attacking a train. This is the most successful I have done in these campaigns. Flak got me on three other occasions.

I know the Emil is not really a fighter-bomber, but it seems unrealistic that flak would be that deadly.

Opinions?

thanks

JtD
02-23-2004, 11:14 AM
I usually refly the mission if I get killed, so I don't know exactly how far I got.

But a save estimate would be 20 missions in a row at most. The AAA isn't to hard if you ask me. The fighters are to dumb. If I am careful I won't be shot down by a fighter in a hundred missions.

Xnomad
02-23-2004, 11:44 AM
I never get very far, the AI just annoys me too much, perhaps 7 missions into a campaign and then I get annoyed with it. My wingman and his friends really are useless, and AAA also does my head in and the fact that they can all see through cloud and I can't. I play full difficulty except I use the map navigation lines and I have icons to toggle on if I can't find anyone but usually keep them off.

I only play QMB and online. Online is where it's at you can't beat it http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

http://www.xnomad.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/sig.jpg

mike_espo
02-23-2004, 11:48 AM
I play online alot. I just get tired of the mindless dogfight servers.

Mike_Green
02-23-2004, 12:01 PM
I've given up on dynamic campaigns. The user built campaigns have ten times the entertainment value. Stands to reason, really. which is going to work best: a carefully designed and tweaked mission, or something spat out by a random number generator?

Previously known round these parts as mikeyg007

SeaFireLIV
02-23-2004, 12:12 PM
Well `m on my third and longest Campaign. I`m at Moscow and after pushing the Germans back, they`ve started the offensive again. It`s early 1943 and I`m dreading the appearance of the new Focke Wolfe.

Anyway, I don`t see these problems. Flak for instance: You must respect its authoritaa!! If you think, "Just flak, no problem" it will kill you. This is because the flak constantly corrects its aim. It`s more deceptive with the heavier stuff cos all you get is the odd black puff of smoke- but it is creeping slowly towards you. To avoid it, just change course direction regularly, then it must reset.

AAA, you need to go in fast, preferably with wingmen. Try to order them all to attack first or together, DON`T go alone. Before you attack tell them to `Rejoin` and order them to `loosen formation` a couple of times so they don`t bump into you. Then attack, as you attack then order them to attack whatever you`re going for.

It`s a bit like taking on bombers, not so hard once you prepare a little for it. Oh and DO NOT hang around above the flak, unless you like sharp bits of metal in your butt! Move away, come back in...

Don`t be afraid if things go bad. Simply abort and order survivors home. Or Request help from Base, that`s helped me a few times.

I posted a detailed `How to fight with AI` offline a while ago. A lot of this is just understanding the commands and techniques at your disposal. Maybe I`ll do a new one again...

Offline play will ALWAYS be needed, it`s a mistake to totally rely on online play only. Don`t ask me to explain why it`s too complicated...

SeaFireLIV...

http://img12.photobucket.com/albums/v31/SeaFireLIV/little_armsFB.jpg
The Fights continue out of the Servers...

Tailspin2
02-23-2004, 12:21 PM
Well the host of our online campaigns flew 108 mission in Smolensk. I flew maybe 30 of the missions. The squad is currently 49 missions into Crimea though we have two hosts running it now. We used DCG and special grand campaigns that I put together, which you can find at the DCG website.

Of course, 'everyone' dies within 20 missions or so for the campaign. Our poor host dies the most as the heavy flak seems to target him above everyone else. He could be right in the middle of the group and that heavy ack will nail him and no one else. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

From the flying I have done with the dynamic campaigns online, have been just as much fun as the hand built ones, flying offline.

Now that Mr. Lowengrin has issued my grand campaigns, hoping to actually fly one all by myself.

Hey Seafire, if you can point me to the post about how to fight with the AI, that would be appreciated. Does it include how to get the AI to release they bombs?

Tailspin's Tales
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/Tailspin/index.htm