PDA

View Full Version : Which was the best story DLC, from your point of view?

ERICATHERINE
11-06-2016, 03:04 PM
Note that I know there is more story dlc. It's that I selected the ones I think are best.

Battle of Forly.

Bonfire of vanities. Yea, I know. Those are available from the start, on pc and were supposed to be part of the main game, but I'll count them anyway, since they are dlc on at least ps3.

The da Vinci disapearence.

The lost archive.

The thyrannie of king Washington.

Freedom cry.

Dead kings.

Jack the ripper.

The last maharaja.

Something else (please explain which one). Note that this precise choice have to be a dlc that include at least 1 mission. So, it can include a weapon as long as it also include at least 1 mission. It can be anything from the chemical revolution dlc of unity to a big dlc like the one of Benedict Arnold or Copernico.

My personal choice go to Freedom cry. ^-^

Sigma 1313
11-06-2016, 06:57 PM
I loved Da Vinci Disappearance and Freedom Cry, but I think I liked Tyranny of King Washington better. I think its addition to the characterization of Connor made it ever so slightly better and had a more unique story and gameplay than we've seen before.

ERICATHERINE
11-06-2016, 07:41 PM
I loved Da Vinci Disappearance and Freedom Cry, but I think I liked Tyranny of King Washington better. I think its addition to the characterization of Connor made it ever so slightly better and had a more unique story and gameplay than we've seen before.

True. In fact, ttokw is my second choice. Long live Connor. ^-^

Pandassin
11-06-2016, 08:00 PM
As much as I want to vote Jack the Ripper because I really love Evie, I'm gonna have to vote for Tyranny of King Washington. I just love the whole alternate timeline thing and the animal power stuff, especially the eagle one. It was a nice change from the usual historical timeline (not that I'm complaining, I love history).

SpiritOfNevaeh
11-07-2016, 02:15 AM
I would have voted for the Jack the Ripper DLC if it didnt have so many bugs in it ...and if it had more of Jacob in it :rolleyes:

So TOKW for me :)

doogsy91
11-07-2016, 02:31 AM
Auditore family crypt. Not downloadable as such but unlockable from Uplay (from memory). So simple yet so effective. I loved reading Domenico's story. It was so tragic, despite the fact that he ended up a nobleman at the end of it. I didn't care for any of the big DLC packages of later games.

m4r-k7
11-07-2016, 02:37 AM
Definitely Freedom Cry for me. Not only did it have a great story with an interesting character, but there was tons of content to play with as well.

ERICATHERINE
11-07-2016, 02:52 AM
I would have voted for the Jack the Ripper DLC if it didnt have so many bugs in it ...and if it had more of Jacob in it :rolleyes:

So TOKW for me :)

Well, conscerning the Jack the ripper dlc, what did Jacob said again?

What did you said? You mean this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFTEcdmz_xA

No, I meant the conversation he had with Evie from 9 : 09 to 9 : 40. XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7tXWD6Rx_k

I guess at least Evie got the "we'll have to fight them, right. :rolleyes:

D.I.D.
11-07-2016, 04:09 AM
Jack the Ripper. Played on PC, so had no technical problems. Atmospheric, some great missions if you played for minimum disturbance.

(Why does Edit on mobile delete your post no matter what you do?)

ERICATHERINE
11-07-2016, 06:02 AM
Auditore family crypt. Not downloadable as such but unlockable from Uplay (from memory).

Don't worry. It still count. I actually consider it as a dlc. ^-^

ERICATHERINE
11-07-2016, 06:05 AM
(Why does Edit on mobile delete your post no matter what you do?)

Are you talking about the posts in general or about the post of a precise someone. :confused:

SixKeys
11-07-2016, 08:49 AM
Storywise probably Freedom Cry. Then Bonfire of Vanities and Da Vinci Disappearance.

cawatrooper9
11-07-2016, 04:17 PM
If Bonfire and Forli could be grouped together, they'd win for me hands down. As for now, I just put Bonfire. And, in my opinion, they should win. They're a necessary part of the main game's story!

JTR and Freedom Cry are a close second.

ERICATHERINE
11-07-2016, 04:53 PM
They're a necessary part of the main game's story!

But can't freedom cry be consider as a real main game? After all, freedom cry isn't just a dlc. There is also a stand alone version of it. ^-^

Namikaze_17
11-07-2016, 05:01 PM
Episode I TOKW & Freedom Cry

ERICATHERINE
11-07-2016, 05:31 PM
Episode I TOKW & Freedom Cry

Which one have first place? ^-^

Namikaze_17
11-07-2016, 06:35 PM
Which one have first place? ^-^

Ever heard of a tie?

ERICATHERINE
11-07-2016, 07:21 PM
Ever heard of a tie?

Yes, I heard of it, but you didn't said that's what it was. :rolleyes:

cawatrooper9
11-07-2016, 09:32 PM
But can't freedom cry be consider as a real main game? After all, freedom cry isn't just a dlc. There is also a stand alone version of it. ^-^

I guess I don't see how this is relevant to what I've written.

Sure Freedom Cry had its own release, and it's actually a pretty decent few hours, but I don't think Freedom Cry is necessary to the story of either Black Flag or Rogue (though it does help to know Addie a little better once you get to Rogue).

ERICATHERINE
11-07-2016, 11:16 PM
though it does help to know Addie a little better once you get to Rogue

This. ^-^

RVSage
11-08-2016, 12:35 AM
Bonfire of the Vanities , to me was the best "Story" DLC so far, closely followed by Freedom Cry.

Jack the Ripper was good in the way some parts were handled (like Ripper's identity)

Ubi-Banshee
11-09-2016, 06:38 PM
Freedom Cry and Da Vinci for me :) Though I did quite like JTR and exploring Evie's story further.

ERICATHERINE
11-09-2016, 07:18 PM
Well, so far, it seems freedom cry and the thyranny of king Washington win the poll. I have to say that it surprise me a little that nobody mentioned the last maharaja dlc yet. ^-^

RinoTheBouncer
11-12-2016, 02:10 AM
It's a tie between The Lost Archive, The Tyranny of King Washington and Freedom Cry.
I feel like ACII DLC were more like parts of the game. They had a really nice story and cutscenes, and of course, the more Ezio the better, but it's like they felt like they've deliberately been made in a repetitive way to extend their playtime.

The Da Vinci Disappearance was really cool because it had a First Civ. site and I really liked how it added more to the lore, yet I also felt like there were some stretches to make it play or a longer time, rather than actual substance. But it was really good.

Dead Kings, while it did have a Piece of Eden, something which I adore so much, it felt like it was just shoved it, without any real reason to visit that memory and the First Civ. site was more of an ancient Tomb, rather than an actual high tech site, the cover artwork and trailers showed as if it takes place much later, with a bearded Arno with different outfits, yet that look wasn't there and the outfits were just optional items that you find, and there was hardly any interaction with Napoleon and there wasn't much of a reason for that nor a real purpose for the small Apple of Eden. So it felt like a great atmosphere, yes, cool new weapon and locations, indeed, but story-wise, it felt a bit unfinished and also very short.

The Last Maharaja had a great promise, but it was lacking in the end. It's probably my least favorite DLC, because it felt like just another side mission on the world map, rather than an actual episode or campaign like Jack The Ripper. I think it would've been a lot better had we gotten a Lydia Frye DLC instead of this one.

Jack The Ripper was amazing in terms of atmosphere, characters, gameplay, direction and everything. I loved it. It was really enjoyable. My only complaint is the revelation in the story. I was hoping for us to find out that someone we actually know is Jack The Ripper or that he's after some Piece of Eden (since Evie is always the one after POEs) or some sort of better excuse for him to be the way he was. It's like the whole story felt far from being about the Assassins or the Templars or anything related. I loved how Evie has aged, the locations have changed, the weather, the places we go to, the investigations, the indoor gameplay missions, everything was really cool. But the final revelation and identity of the killer was sort of bland or unsatisfying and underwhelming, seeing how the start made you feel like there was gonna be a major twist.

Now speaking of the ones I love most, The Lost Archive tops the list because while I was never a fan of First Person and I always preferred modern day or a modern day DLC, at least, I felt like the art direction and style of The Lost Archive was absolutely mesmerizing, like it's one of the best places we ever visited in the games. The score is wonderful, the voice overs are haunting and provide a huge insight into the story and added so much to it and the gameplay was simple but very fun.

The Tyranny of King Washington is wonderful, it's really long, and offers a variety of gameplay styles and settings, expands the story greatly, even thought it's an alternate reality. The ideal that we could play/see another possibility of the games' and real history is really fun. There's hardly anything wrong with it or anything that bothered me about it. It was really great and it offered the quality, the quantity and the longevity.

Freedom Cry, like ToKW, feels like a game of its own. It's detailed and well made, offers a really fun gameplay with much more additional combat styles and side quests, the economy of the game is much more enjoyable than the ones we have in the games. Instead of making money, you can get weapons and items by doing things, which makes sense, to be honest. An Assassin is better of doing favors for favors instead of stealing or getting paid for doing what what his Creed asks him/her to do. The story is great and very detailed and the whole experience is just perfect.

ERICATHERINE
11-12-2016, 02:41 AM
Good. Finnaly someone talk about the 2 remaning dlc.

@ rinothebouncer. It suprised me that you like the lost archive. Beside me, you're the only one I remember saying he like it. Good to know I'm not alone. ^-^

lm182
11-13-2016, 12:36 AM
Well, so far, it seems freedom cry and the thyranny of king Washington win the poll. I have to say that it surprise me a little that nobody mentioned the last maharaja dlc yet. ^-^

the last maharaja is terrible

ERICATHERINE
11-13-2016, 05:08 AM
the last maharaja is terrible

Well I liked it a lot. There is even a few crimes to solve which even the xbox one user can do. ^-^

SixKeys
11-13-2016, 08:40 AM
@ rinothebouncer. It suprised me that you like the lost archive. Beside me, you're the only one I remember saying he like it. Good to know I'm not alone. ^-^

I don't know how to feel about it, really. I don't know if I can say I like it as such, but I do appreciate that it's more thoughtful, symbolic and melancholy than most DLCs. The art design was the best part about Desmond's Journey and that design carried over to TLA. I love how it presented some events, like Clay's funeral and his suicide (with the blood symbols on the walls). The reason most people were so disappointed with it was because of how it sold us the only real revelation in Revelations in a paid DLC. It's just a practice that should not be encouraged under any circumstances.

It might also have been better as a pure "walking simulator" like Gone Home, without the prospect of death. I know removing death may sound like an oxymoron in an AC game, but the somber story of TLA presented with Portal-esque puzzles where the narration would often get undercut by the player accidentally falling to their death or cut in half by lazer beams was just an odd combination. I remember the "crossing the Styx" part being particular jarring. It was supposed to be a haunting moment of reflection as we literally guided Clay through his suicide to the other side of death. I loved the part with Clay being stuck in a dark maze painted with his own blood, that was very evocative of the mindset of a person who's so lost and desperate they can't see any other way out anymore. Moments later the sadness I felt was replaced with frustration and cursing as I had to bounce around on trampoline blocks on the river Styx. There was even an achievement involved for getting through that segment without dying. Just....these typically gamey elements getting in the way of what could have been really powerful storytelling.

ERICATHERINE
11-13-2016, 06:27 PM
I don't know how to feel about it, really. I don't know if I can say I like it as such, but I do appreciate that it's more thoughtful, symbolic and melancholy than most DLCs. The art design was the best part about Desmond's Journey and that design carried over to TLA. I love how it presented some events, like Clay's funeral and his suicide (with the blood symbols on the walls). The reason most people were so disappointed with it was because of how it sold us the only real revelation in Revelations in a paid DLC. It's just a practice that should not be encouraged under any circumstances.

It might also have been better as a pure "walking simulator" like Gone Home, without the prospect of death. I know removing death may sound like an oxymoron in an AC game, but the somber story of TLA presented with Portal-esque puzzles where the narration would often get undercut by the player accidentally falling to their death or cut in half by lazer beams was just an odd combination. I remember the "crossing the Styx" part being particular jarring. It was supposed to be a haunting moment of reflection as we literally guided Clay through his suicide to the other side of death. I loved the part with Clay being stuck in a dark maze painted with his own blood, that was very evocative of the mindset of a person who's so lost and desperate they can't see any other way out anymore. Moments later the sadness I felt was replaced with frustration and cursing as I had to bounce around on trampoline blocks on the river Styx. There was even an achievement involved for getting through that segment without dying. Just....these typically gamey elements getting in the way of what could have been really powerful storytelling.

Yea, conscerning the death while their is a speech, I soon learn that the best way to hear as much as possible was to not move at all during the entirerty of it. When they stop talking is also when I start moving. ^-^