PDA

View Full Version : Some small thoughts on this board....

XyZspineZyX
11-05-2003, 11:13 PM
I've been enjoying reading Oleg's post in the past few days. He had shared a great deal of his knowledge with us, some knowledge not easily found in popular book stores or google. I believe a lot of us have the same feeling here.

I would like to share my personal feelings about Oleg: he's a serious engineer. He's objective, straightforward, maybe not very diplomatic (which could be more of virtue!) I believe Oleg's never biased, he's only persistent on what he believes to be correct, like all good engineers do, but stand corrected provived with new evidence and data. I believe that's why we have been receiving patch after patch. A patch could be flawed, could contain mistakes or wrong data, a patch could not be perfect (or never be), but every single one of them represent the willingness to improve, every single one of them the result of hardwork of bunch of excellent engineers, and represent the best that could be achieved at that stage.

IMHO, a simulation is about approximations. There are many ways of approximation, some methods better than the other. I believe Oleg's team has been progressively improving the methods of approximation, while in the course old data will give bad results, but given the time and fine tuning, the result will turn out to be a better simulation.

Also heart warming as Oleg's return, this forum has becoming what it ought to be at the first place: constructive discussions, sharing of ideas, reasoning rather than arguing, quoting data rather than lecturing. I feel like we are all participating to create something we all love.how I wish we could do the same from now on!

Although myself more of a reader than a poster, I've been following this forum, and sharing its funs and frustrations with all who love this place. Maybe its time we begin to think what works in this forum and what doesnt, maybe its time we try to listen before we speak, maybe its time we learn from our past mistakes, maybe its time we learn to think and behave like engineers ourselves /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Maybe its time we are starting something great /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

I/JG54_SerpentBlade
http://www.jg54.net/

Message Edited on 11/06/0306:15AM by SerpentBlade

XyZspineZyX
11-05-2003, 11:13 PM
I've been enjoying reading Oleg's post in the past few days. He had shared a great deal of his knowledge with us, some knowledge not easily found in popular book stores or google. I believe a lot of us have the same feeling here.

I would like to share my personal feelings about Oleg: he's a serious engineer. He's objective, straightforward, maybe not very diplomatic (which could be more of virtue!) I believe Oleg's never biased, he's only persistent on what he believes to be correct, like all good engineers do, but stand corrected provived with new evidence and data. I believe that's why we have been receiving patch after patch. A patch could be flawed, could contain mistakes or wrong data, a patch could not be perfect (or never be), but every single one of them represent the willingness to improve, every single one of them the result of hardwork of bunch of excellent engineers, and represent the best that could be achieved at that stage.

IMHO, a simulation is about approximations. There are many ways of approximation, some methods better than the other. I believe Oleg's team has been progressively improving the methods of approximation, while in the course old data will give bad results, but given the time and fine tuning, the result will turn out to be a better simulation.

Also heart warming as Oleg's return, this forum has becoming what it ought to be at the first place: constructive discussions, sharing of ideas, reasoning rather than arguing, quoting data rather than lecturing. I feel like we are all participating to create something we all love.how I wish we could do the same from now on!

Although myself more of a reader than a poster, I've been following this forum, and sharing its funs and frustrations with all who love this place. Maybe its time we begin to think what works in this forum and what doesnt, maybe its time we try to listen before we speak, maybe its time we learn from our past mistakes, maybe its time we learn to think and behave like engineers ourselves /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Maybe its time we are starting something great /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

I/JG54_SerpentBlade
http://www.jg54.net/

Message Edited on 11/06/0306:15AM by SerpentBlade

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 12:51 AM
Amen brother
The lord is once more among us! And he came to quiet up the whiners, errmm.. preachers of the apocalipse

http://rumandmonkey.com/widgets/tests/damned/reincarnation.jpg (http://rumandmonkey.com/widgets/tests/damned/)
Are you damned? (http://rumandmonkey.com/widgets/tests/damned/)
<

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 02:14 AM
Agreed.

Thanks Oleg, your posts make for good reading, and are much appreciated /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

"As weaponry, both were good, but in far different ways from each other. In a nutshell, I describe it this way: if the FW 190 was a sabre, the 109 was a florett, or foil, like that used in the precision art of fencing." - Gunther Rall