PDA

View Full Version : WOODEN PLANES

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 05:12 PM
Russian Planes where Made from PLYWOOD not BALSAWOOD.Plywood as anybody who works with it will tell you is very strong.With the right glue and construction method a Wooden Plane is stronger than an Aluminum one.

The main reason the aircraft idustry changed to Metal planes was WOODWORM IE Metal planes dont get it.During the early of Flying Crashes where common a large number of crashes where said to have been caused by WOODWORM

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 05:12 PM
Russian Planes where Made from PLYWOOD not BALSAWOOD.Plywood as anybody who works with it will tell you is very strong.With the right glue and construction method a Wooden Plane is stronger than an Aluminum one.

The main reason the aircraft idustry changed to Metal planes was WOODWORM IE Metal planes dont get it.During the early of Flying Crashes where common a large number of crashes where said to have been caused by WOODWORM

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 05:18 PM
I thought they quit making them because they were to vulnerable to termite gernades.

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 05:27 PM
True. Woodworm did indeed cause these problems for the Russians. Stalin did try a purge of all woodworm in the late 1930s with one of his many 5 Year Plans, " No woodworm- No Crashes." he famously quoted. Unfortunately this Plan failed ( probably `cos he purged the Head Wood worm purgers earlier in 1937).

"Tis better to work towards an Impossible Good, rather than a Possible Evil."

SeaFireLIV.

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 05:29 PM
TERMITE GRENADES i think you mean THERMITE GENADES which burn at 10,000 Degres C most things wont stand that Heat,did you that Aluminium Burns Very Well in fact they put powderd Aluminium is explosive shell for a better Buring effect

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 05:32 PM
... there's also the issue of weight. To get the same structural strength, you need to use a lot more wood in both volume and weight. that's why the Soviets moved as quickly as possible to metal components as they became available.

"Here's your new Mustangs, boys. You can learn to fly'em on the way to the target. Cheers!" - LCOL Don Blakeslee, CO, 4th FG, March, 1944

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 06:02 PM
wood planes arnt near as good in a crash either, they just break instead of bend
bending absorbs alot of the impact protecting the pilot

also i would think they wouldnt take damage as well, wood tends to splinter and breake when shot, and metal will just get a hole in it

seems like explosive or incendiary rounds would do more damage to

but im not totally sure on this, except for the crash part

----------------------------------------

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 06:16 PM
WRONG!!!

read a little bit and do some research!

woodairframes had a longer stress life then aluminum but it certainly was not stronger

watch some guncamera footage of aluminum vs wood planes getting hit that come back and tell me what you think

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4jz7i/ls.gif

Good dogfighters bring ammo home, Great ones don't. (c) Leadspitter

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 06:31 PM
Yeh lets turn this into an arguement over wood vs metal! Just like you all do with every other thread!

I think wood is better because it's brown and comes from trees and smells nicer than metal. And it can take a shot from a .50 caliber better than aluminium can, I have proof it's from a manual called '1939: The great russian wooden planes that were better than metal'

I look forward to both the little boys who fly OKL coming up with a detailed breakdown of the thermic densisties and resistance to bullets for metal and the little VVS boys just saying how they enjoy wood more.
Oh and then we can have the realists piping in with how in 1939 the pine wasn't actually available with that grain runout so the modelling is wrong.
Then the people who just stick a post in the medal of the thread saying they don't agree with anyone but THE ME262 STILL ISN'T RIGHT!
Perhaps a couple of flames will break out between people who just won't agree with anyone and know they are right and then somebody can abuse Oleg and then others can come to his defense and then it can just go over and over and over and over the same old stuff all over again until a moderator steps in and says something to try and calm it down who then sparks off another flame because some little boy doesn't understand decorum and on and on and on and on......

112th Scavenger Squadron

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 06:36 PM
Pot calling kettle

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 06:38 PM
The best example yet.

112th Scavenger Squadron

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 07:55 PM
hmm, did no-one notice my little post was a joke... ?`sigh`...

"Tis better to work towards an Impossible Good, rather than a Possible Evil."

SeaFireLIV.

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 08:12 PM
LOL That's pretty good.
SeaFireLIV wrote:
- True. Woodworm did indeed cause these problems for
- the Russians. Stalin did try a purge of all woodworm
- in the late 1930s with one of his many 5 Year Plans,
- " No woodworm- No Crashes." he famously quoted.
- Unfortunately this Plan failed ( probably `cos he
- purged the Head Wood worm purgers earlier in 1937).
-
- SeaFireLIV.

<center> http://www.4yourfuture.net/handshake.gif

"Altitude, speed, maneuver, fire!"-The "formula of Terror" of Aleksandr Pokryshkin, Three times awarded the rank of Hero of the Soviet Union

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 08:28 PM
SeaFireLIV wrote:
- hmm, did no-one notice my little post was a joke...
- ?`sigh`...

Jokes here turn into flame wars

but ill take metal over wood

"Of all my accomplishments I may have achieved during the war, I am proudest of the fact that I never lost a wingman. It was my view that no kill was worth the life of a wingman. . . . Pilots in my unit who lost wingmen on this basis were prohibited from leading a [section]. They were made to fly as wingman, instead."
Erich 'Bubi' Hartmann "Karaya One"