PDA

View Full Version : Can we get more Chronical style games?

cravex02
10-29-2016, 01:29 PM
Had to say I loved these 2.5D games, well apart from the last level in Russia! Would like to see more of them, Maybe include some of the past assassins in a new adventure type thing.

ERICATHERINE
10-29-2016, 04:03 PM
I hated the chronicles games.

Sigma 1313
10-29-2016, 08:04 PM
I personally liked the Chronicles games but felt they squandered the settings of the British Raj in India and 1500s China. I think that more modern settings that wouldn't work as well in regular games should be explored instead. World War 1, World War 2, Vietnam, Jazz Age Junkies, etc. It's why I loved Russia. Besides modern settings, revisting old character to provide closure would be awesome. I'd love to know what happened to Connor, Shay, Arno, even the Twins, and I think Chronicles games would be a great way to finish and tell those stories.

ERICATHERINE
10-29-2016, 08:23 PM
I personally liked the Chronicles games but felt they squandered the settings of the British Raj in India and 1500s China. I think that more modern settings that wouldn't work as well in regular games should be explored instead. World War 1, World War 2, Vietnam, Jazz Age Junkies, etc. It's why I loved Russia. Besides modern settings, revisting old character to provide closure would be awesome. I'd love to know what happened to Connor, Shay, Arno, even the Twins, and I think Chronicles games would be a great way to finish and tell those stories.

God please no. Don't even suggest it. From my point of view, if Connor and/or Aveline and/or Arno and/or Shay, would ever have to get a closure, it should be in a main game. I know it's a little extreme, but what would you say if an important ac character like Otso Berg, would be killed in watch dog 2. Well, like, for that exemple, you would probably feel, I would feel the same thing if any of these important character would die in an ac game which, like, from my point of view , are even more a side game and, if you prefer even less a main game than bloodlines.

SpiritOfNevaeh
10-29-2016, 09:52 PM
The AC Chronicles weren't very popular among the fanbase, so I don't they'll go down that road again.

I prefer the characters' stories to be unfinished :p

ze_topazio
10-29-2016, 10:36 PM
Being one the few who liked them, I would welcome more, I would like in particular a Chronicles Portugal, since I have zero hopes for a 3D game set in my country, I would gladly take a Chronicles game, but then, considering that sub-series ain't that popular in the first place, with such an obscure setting could be even harder to sell, so I guess even that has zero chances of happening. :(:p

Sigma 1313
10-29-2016, 11:39 PM
God please no. Don't even suggest it. From my point of view, if Connor and/or Aveline and/or Arno and/or Shay, would ever have to get a closure, it should be in a main game. I know it's a little extreme, but what would you say if an important ac character like Otso Berg, would be killed in watch dog 2. Well, like, for that exemple, you would probably feel, I would feel the same thing if any of these important character would die in an ac game which, like, from my point of view , are even more a side game and, if you prefer even less a main game than bloodlines.

That's not even an assassin's creed game though. Furthermore, Berg has been being set up as a major antagonist since Revelations, so there will almost definitely be a conclusion with him in a future game. Connor, Aveline, Shay, and Arno either have a large portion of the fan base who hate them, or the majority of the fan base doesn't care about. I think having closure on their stories through any medium would be better than just leaving them where they are. I actually feel fairly content with the state of the Frye's stories. But @SpiritofNevaeh why do you prefer the stories unfinished?

Farlander1991
10-30-2016, 12:07 AM
I absolutely don't mind more Chronicles-like titles. Really enjoyed India, partially enjoyed China. They reminded me of AC2 Discovery which I also very much enjoyed.

Nowadays there's some stigma against AC spin-off titles, particularly among hardcore fans... but, my opinion is, and this may sound harsh on these forums, as long as the games are quality and they don't contain any info pivotal to the main modern, or even past, storyline (like there's tendency nowadays for extra material containing information important for the movement of the main line narrative, which is not right, one should not need to buy extra material to properly understand the details of what's going on in main series), to hell with what those hardcore fans think about spin-off titles.

I kind of hate Ezio a bit for setting up a precedent which became an expectation among hardcore AC fans. When AC1 and AC2 were released, it was fine to just have a single arc for a character, and spin-off titles regarding that character to flesh him out with a couple more secondary arcs. But then ACB appeared, and it wasn't too damaging because it still felt like a DLC (which it originally was, a series of DLCs announced as Assassin's Creed II - Episodes), but ACR changed all the expectations. Because it acted as a send-off BOTH to Ezio and Altair. So now people expect EVERY character to have several arcs with a send-off at the end. The system where a character has just one game for his main arc, like in AC1 and AC2, is not enough, because 'oh the story for that character has not ended' (which is ******** because there's not a single character arc in AC games that's unresolved, those people just want more arcs and a send-off, and in main series no less).

But, really, it's a very small part of the fanbase that's adamant about this (it's mostly part of this forum's community, and it's already small enough), so that's why I wouldn't worry. They'll complain for a bit, but ultimately the general direction of 'one new time period with one new character and a main arc for that character' for main series with spin-off material expanding those periods and characters (and doing all the send-offy stuff) is a healthy one for the franchise. Look, this forum hosts those people who have complained that Connor doesn't have a lip-scar and Edward doesn't have a beak on his hood, a lot of people are VERY conservative regarding things that are not actually core to the franchise so it's dangerous to set a precedent for anything (because for sure there will be a group of people who will not be happy when the precedent is not repeated), so while on one hand this is a very cool place full of passionate people (and I'm sure useful for developers to know what hardcore fans want) that raise very valid points and complaints, on another hand this forum is also a group of people that is against change in a lot of ways who will complain about a lot of stuff that really either is not worth being complained about or is for the benefit of the overall franchise.

Anyway. Yeah. Always new stuff in main series, extra stuff and lore in spin-offs, both having good quality - that's cool way to go. Now if only the whole meta-narrative in the modern day would finally gets properly structured among all the main and extra material and stops being a mess in said material (especially main where after AC4 that acted as a set up of a new arc there has barely been any movement), then we're golden.

Sigma 1313
10-30-2016, 01:47 AM
@Farlander I agree about the spin offs being required. I hate extra material content being necessary to understand a story. It's one of the reasons I'm mad at Halo and love AC even more. I can understand your dislike for every character needing several full arcs to round off their character. In the end, I don't feel that multiple arcs are necessary, just full closure on them. I feel that Evie and Jacob were fine, because the DLC let us know what happened to some extent, and we learned more from WW1. We know what happened to Edward and Haytham from Forsaken and AC3. We have a bit of a loose end on Connor, not knowing what he did after he purged the Templars, and Aveline seems way too open with what she learned. Shay has the box just after the start of the Revolutionary War, so what does he do now? I'm fine with a single sentence "and he retired in peace, got married, had 2 children and died of syphilis 19 years later." And maybe the expectation is from Ezio, but I think even a data log could be easily and cheaply done but still satisfying to fans who want to know.

ERICATHERINE
10-30-2016, 02:59 AM
That's not even an assassin's creed game though. Furthermore, Berg has been being set up as a major antagonist since Revelations, so there will almost definitely be a conclusion with him in a future game. Connor, Aveline, Shay, and Arno either have a large portion of the fan base who hate them, or the majority of the fan base doesn't care about. I think having closure on their stories through any medium would be better than just leaving them where they are. I actually feel fairly content with the state of the Frye's stories. But @SpiritofNevaeh why do you prefer the stories unfinished?

Maybe watch dog 2 isn't a main game, but remember that a Templar was killed in watch dog 1. So, what I meant was that if ubisoft would make Otso Berg die in watch dog 2 just like him I would feel just as if Connor, Aveline, Arno or Shay would get a closure in an ac game that is so much like as side game, even when comparing it to ac bloodlines, like acc. Of course I would only be angry. :-\

ERICATHERINE
10-30-2016, 03:39 AM
I kind of hate Ezio a bit for setting up a precedent which became an expectation among hardcore AC fans. When AC1 and AC2 were released, it was fine to just have a single arc for a character, and spin-off titles regarding that character to flesh him out with a couple more secondary arcs. But then ACB appeared, and it wasn't too damaging because it still felt like a DLC (which it originally was, a series of DLCs announced as Assassin's Creed II - Episodes), but ACR changed all the expectations. Because it acted as a send-off BOTH to Ezio and Altair. So now people expect EVERY character to have several arcs with a send-off at the end. The system where a character has just one game for his main arc, like in AC1 and AC2, is not enough, because 'oh the story for that character has not ended' (which is ******** because there's not a single character arc in AC games that's unresolved, those people just want more arcs and a send-off, and in main series no less).

Actually, for Connor, Aveline, Arno and Shay's story to finnish, I don't necessarily want a new main game. Like I already said in another thread, I would be fine if a main game with another character would end their story in a dlc. For exemple, I liked the Aveline dlc of black flag pretty much. Of course, from my point of vie, a real main game about them all would be better. After all there is a good number of main characters that would be aivalable and that, all together, would make a great story. There is Eseosa, Prudence, Gist. That black Templar from ac rogue. At some point the Aquila could fight the Morrigan. Not to mention mister Blanc and the 6 Connor recruit and even every important characters from the home stead. And let's not forget the mysterious disapearence of the manor. All this or even part of this could make a great game, but like I said I would be fine with a dlc. Just don't put those 4 story on a sider game than ac bloodlines and that is as bas as what acc was. You want to make them in a new ac game, fine, but make it a main game, instead of a crappy sidescroller game. If it would have to be in a acc, like Spiritofnevaeh said, I would prefer their story to stay unfinnished. That way there would still be hope for their story to finnish in a main game/dlc.

SixKeys
10-31-2016, 04:17 AM
Maybe watch dog 2 isn't a main game, but remember that a Templar was killed in watch dog 1. So, what I meant was that if ubisoft would make Otso Berg die in watch dog 2 just like him I would feel just as if Connor, Aveline, Arno or Shay would get a closure in an ac game that is so much like as side game, even when comparing it to ac bloodlines, like acc. Of course I would only be angry. :-\

Honestly, it's not like Otso Berg has done anything important in the games so far. The only thing we have seen him do is threaten our modern day avatar in Rogue and that's it. I wouldn't care if he gets killed or not. I wouldn't necessarily be happy about it because I hate it when plot points or character arcs get resolved in trans-media instead of the main games, but at this point it's nothing new to AC.

ERICATHERINE
10-31-2016, 05:36 AM
Honestly, it's not like Otso Berg has done anything important in the games so far. The only thing we have seen him do is threaten our modern day avatar in Rogue and that's it.

That's not all he did. In multiplayer video of ac re, we learn he was the one who, along with his team, captured William Milles, in ac 3.

In ac rogue, we also learn that he has been searching multiple pieces of eden across the globe. This include the box, the Koh-i-noor and the Anhk, among others. He has also been searching the skull head from black flag.

We also know he is the one who is responsible for the initiates separating from the Assassins, thanks to the jack the ripper dlc.

In syndicate we hear him discuss with Consus. We also learn that he want Gramatica to do a first civ body, and that for that purpose, he gave him the body of John Standish and let him have the Shroud.

Also, with the tiny bit of md we got in acc, we learn he gave a box of eden to Gramatica.

Let's not forget that, in the titan comics of the Templars he is searching for the Koh-i-noor and suggested the idea of resurecting the title of black cross, which could become something very important in the md. ^-^

SixKeys
11-02-2016, 12:25 AM
That's not all he did. In multiplayer video of ac re, we learn he was the one who, along with his team, captured William Milles, in ac 3.

In ac rogue, we also learn that he has been searching multiple pieces of eden across the globe. This include the box, the Koh-i-noor and the Anhk, among others. He has also been searching the skull head from black flag.

We also know he is the one who is responsible for the initiates separating from the Assassins, thanks to the jack the ripper dlc.

In syndicate we hear him discuss with Consus. We also learn that he want Gramatica to do a first civ body, and that for that purpose, he gave him the body of John Standish and let him have the Shroud.

Also, with the tiny bit of md we got in acc, we learn he gave a box of eden to Gramatica.

Let's not forget that, in the titan comics of the Templars he is searching for the Koh-i-noor and suggested the idea of resurecting the title of black cross, which could become something very important in the md. ^-^

I didn't say he did nothing, I said he did nothing important. Who gives a **** if he was the one who captured William or gave the box to Gramatica? It doesn't make him an interesting character or add anything to the story. He's no different from Random Security Guard #17.

ERICATHERINE
11-02-2016, 12:40 AM
I didn't say he did nothing, I said he did nothing important. Who gives a **** if he was the one who captured William or gave the box to Gramatica? It doesn't make him an interesting character or add anything to the story. He's no different from Random Security Guard #17.

I didn't said that you said he did nothing either. From my point of view, all that can be important. Remember, back in ac b, when Clay said to Desmond that he had a son? Back then, it was considered that Clay was crazy and so, that Desmond had no child. Look what we got, 7 games later. In syndicate we "learn" that Desmond truly had a son. We won't know if all the things he did were important until either they happen, the very last ac game ever arrive or both. Until then, I prefer to think anything that happen in md can be important. ^-^

cawatrooper9
11-02-2016, 05:33 PM
Let's also remember that MD has always been a slow burn. Maybe slower than usual lately, though.

Personally, Berg is one of the more interesting characters we've seen lately. I'm glad they're not going the Star Wars route and building him up to be a badass just to get immediately killed off like Darth Maul/ General Grievous/ Boba Fett (seriously they do that a lot). We saw this a little with Cross in ACIII- because seriously, ACIII sold roughly 13 million copies, do you think anywhere close to that many people read the comics with Cross?

I'm sure we'll see more of Berg in future games. I personally like the slow buildup. We've seen enough of him to be intimidated, but I think he's far from playing his entire hand.

ERICATHERINE
11-02-2016, 06:08 PM
Personally, Berg is one of the more interesting characters we've seen lately. ... I'm sure we'll see more of Berg in future games. I personally like the slow buildup. We've seen enough of him to be intimidated, but I think he's far from playing his entire hand.

You're not alone to think that, my friend. I'm with you, on this.

I'm glad they're not going the Star Wars route and building him up to be a badass just to get immediately killed off like Darth Maul/ General Grievous/ Boba Fett (seriously they do that a lot). thecnicaly, for Dart Maul, he survived way longer than just star wars episode 1. He was alive in the clone wars and in star wars rebel season 2, he show up again during the last moments of the season. Also, here is 2 trailers with him in the season 3 of star wars rebels. ^-^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHCoiuaF97I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jsqi2HCTZ4

SixKeys
11-02-2016, 10:19 PM
I didn't said that you said he did nothing either. From my point of view, all that can be important. Remember, back in ac b, when Clay said to Desmond that he had a son? Back then, it was considered that Clay was crazy and so, that Desmond had no child. Look what we got, 7 games later. In syndicate we "learn" that Desmond truly had a son. We won't know if all the things he did were important until either they happen, the very last ac game ever arrive or both. Until then, I prefer to think anything that happen in md can be important. ^-^

Exactly. SEVEN GAMES LATER. **** that noise. For most of those years between ACB and Syndicate, we were given to think that plot point was never going to be addressed because hey, whenever a character says something that the devs decide they'd rather not follow up on, they can just say "oh, he was crazy, you shouldn't have paid attention to whatever he was saying". The only reason the Desmond's son plot point got picked up again is because people complained about it for years and years. It set up this precedent that nothing in MD is worth getting emotionally invested in because everything that seems like it could be important is probably just gonna get unceremoniously dropped one or two games later. Hey, Initiates was supposed to be important, right? And that lasted for all of ONE game. Now it's "oh, BTW, we scrapped the whole Initiates thing, sorry about that, lol. Look forward to the next game where we will introduce some other supposedly big plotpoint that will get dropped one year later!".

So yeah. Otso Berg has done nothing important so far. All they have done is set up a boatload of threads that could potentially lead to something interesting years and years down the line.... or they could all just be abandoned at the drop of a hat and Berg gets killed off-screen in some spinoff nobody cares about.

This stuff really pisses me off and I hate that there are people defending this kind of lazy writing.

ERICATHERINE
11-03-2016, 12:52 AM
This stuff really pisses me off and I hate that there are people defending this kind of lazy writing.

Then let's just say we both agree to disagree, because not only will I not change my way of thinking, but even with my other argument, I know you won't as well and I don't want to do a verbal fight right now since, with my cat being dead probably this week or the next, I'm in no mood for this kind of stuff. :(

DH176
11-03-2016, 05:33 AM
The AC Chronicles weren't very popular among the fanbase, so I don't they'll go down that road again.

I prefer the characters' stories to be unfinished :p

I loved the stories BUT like someone else said I think they squandered some good time periods in using it 2.5D gameplay

cawatrooper9
11-03-2016, 03:07 PM
thecnicaly, for Dart Maul, he survived way longer than just star wars episode 1. He was alive in the clone wars and in star wars rebel season 2, he show up again during the last moments of the season. Also, here is 2 trailers with him in the season 3 of star wars rebels. ^-^

That's true, I always forget about that. Still, I kind of view that as a retcon, even though it's canon.

In regards to SixKeys- I feel your frustration. It seems like the first few games AC1-ACB/R just kind of threw everything they could at the wall and tried to see what stuck (as it turned out, almost nothing did).

Is it the fault of those games for being so overly ambitious, or are more recent games to blame for not fulfilling these untapped potentials? My guess is a little bit of both, but at this point I'm not going to complain for them at least trying to pick up the pieces and start anew.

Namikaze_17
11-04-2016, 03:51 AM
I wouldn't mind more. In fact, I was one of the few who theorized if the three mysterious Assassins from Unity's Helix menu would debut in a (at the time) possible Chronicles II.

Sigma 1313
11-04-2016, 07:41 AM
I wouldn't mind more. In fact, I was one of the few who theorized if the three mysterious Assassins from Unity's Helix menu would debut in a (at the time) possible Chronicles II.

I think that or a second story for characters like Shay or Connor would be the best route to go with it. People've already expressed interest in those stories, and returning to previous characters other than Edward would likely not go well (fiscally) for main games, and modern era games wouldn't fit well gameplay wise in main games (hence why I suggested full WW1, WW2, and Vietnam War chronicle games).