PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Alpha

Dez_troi_aR
10-25-2016, 01:02 PM
There is an alpha going on in Japan (as everybody has already noticed because there is an subforum for it).

Can the Ubi-Forum Management or perhaps a gamer who speaks both japanese and english give us an impression of what the general feedback is ? How is the game received over there? Are the critique-points the same as ours (matchmaking, orochi, gear-stats) ? Are they playing the same alpha as NA/EU did or were changes made ? Is everyone playing Samurai :D ?

I am asking that because i am curious about the games progress and excited for the release but i also would like to state that i find it strange that i even have to ask. I would like to get a little more input from the Ubisoft team.

I dont want to be too critical but imo its no surprise that among the most discussed things in the forum are such thoughtful topics as "remove female characters". What about that "world tour" ubisoft announced? If there are no news, then there are no news, i of course understand that, but the alpha in japan could be something worth a note at least. I am sure a lot of japanese gamers are fluent enough in english to give us some interesting impressions. You could at least encourage them to do so.

DBLxxShotz
10-25-2016, 06:49 PM
There is an alpha going on in Japan (as everybody has already noticed because there is an subforum for it).

Can the Ubi-Forum Management or perhaps a gamer who speaks both japanese and english give us an impression of what the general feedback is ? How is the game received over there? Are the critique-points the same as ours (matchmaking, orochi, gear-stats) ? Are they playing the same alpha as NA/EU did or were changes made ? Is everyone playing Samurai :D ?

I am asking that because i am curious about the games progress and excited for the release but i also would like to state that i find it strange that i even have to ask. I would like to get a little more input from the Ubisoft team.

I dont want to be too critical but imo its no surprise that among the most discussed things in the forum are such thoughtful topics as "remove female characters". What about that "world tour" ubisoft announced? If there are no news, then there are no news, i of course understand that, but the alpha in japan could be something worth a note at least. I am sure a lot of japanese gamers are fluent enough in english to give us some interesting impressions. You could at least encourage them to do so.

Why arent any of them streaming gameplay on twitch?

Desperaato
10-25-2016, 08:07 PM
Been checking out the Japan alpha forums and just google translating them. There are very few topics and posts in there generally,
maybe the japanese just dont like giving feedback who knows.

To be fair this game seems to be gathering way less excitement than even Evolve was when it was coming out or its a ubisoft issue on giving out news.
Reddit "For honor" is also dead just like these forums seem to be.

DBLxxShotz
10-26-2016, 12:53 AM
Been checking out the Japan alpha forums and just google translating them. There are very few topics and posts in there generally,
maybe the japanese just dont like giving feedback who knows.

To be fair this game seems to be gathering way less excitement than even Evolve was when it was coming out or its a ubisoft issue on giving out news.
Reddit "For honor" is also dead just like these forums seem to be.

Yeah this forum is pretty dead and i find it pretty odd. Every single person ive told about this game has the same reaction when i tell them about the Samurai vs Viking vs Knight premise and that is "what game is that? That sounds awesome!". Some say theyve heard of it but most dont know about it never mind played it. Hopefully they do a public beta before release because this game is very different and could pull in a lot of people if word gets out.

FHL.Maryjane
10-26-2016, 04:56 AM
You guys should come check out the community at Forhonorlegends.enjin.com ! Were pretty active and all members are serious players! Also some of the members from the Hall Of Heroes post, also the Hall of Heroes discord is active everyday talking For Honor, im sure theres a link here on their guides at the top! https://s12.postimg.org/kzk8aeotp/Legends_Logo_Basic.png

Shinkirou_
10-27-2016, 06:11 PM
Japanese people don't like Western-style forums.
They prefer anonymous 4-chan-like forums.

From reading comments on Youtube and NicoNico Douga, I have been able to garner the following:
The reactions so far to For Honor from the Japanese have mostly been complaints that the Samurai, and the Samurai-themed maps feel too Chinese.
One of the most frequently posted comments on Youtube from Otoja (famous Japanese Youtuber)'s let's play of it is "Why does the European Castle look so normal and serene while the Japanese map looks nothing like Japan?" and "Oh, this is going to be another Western game where they mix up Japan and China" is a frequently reoccurring comment from all videos posted on For Honor thus far.
But, overall, comments about the combat/gameplay seem positive and filled with interest.

In short: Japanese people think the combat looks fun but can't take this game seriously due to the way the Samurai are portrayed, some even feeling insulted at the China-Japan mingling.

This game started off pretty bad reputation-wise this year. During the E3 Viking Campaign trailer, the Japanese found that the English voice actors' attempt at speaking Japanese was cringeworthy and found themselves unable to take the trailer seriously. Other comments were all about how stupid it was to have a Samurai named "Saburo" (would be like having a medieval Knight called "Bob").

So, you can see that this game did not start off well, reputation-wise, in Japan
It will take a lot of effort to turn it around.
Having famous Let's Players like Otoja play it and express how fun it is has been the best thing to happen to For Honor Japan (IMO).

Edit:
Here's the links of the videos I took these comments from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjGSxg85pvQ
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm29047497?ref=top_history
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm29651848?ref=top_history

Dez_troi_aR
10-27-2016, 07:28 PM
Thank you Shinkirou, that was very interesting !

If i could speak and read japanese i would love to rage around a little bit because by now everyone should have heard the shot that this is not meant to be an authentic simulation of anything. There are no viking ships built into riverforts in scandinavia and the citadel's gate has antique elements in it and is of course generally over the top. Nobody cares but in Japan it's an insult because you mingled the whole asia-theme together :/ ?

I get the cringe about the voice actor. Must be weird hearing someone faking your accent :D

Shinkirou_
10-27-2016, 08:58 PM
Nobody cares but in Japan it's an insult because you mingled the whole asia-theme together :/ ?

I believe people around the world don't like having their culture confused with another culture, not just Japan.
I'm sure if you walked around talking about "Japanese Kung-Fu" or "Chinese Karate", nobody would take you seriously.
And if you told an Englishman or a Frenchman that "England and France are the same thing", they would not respond positively.
Generally, mixing up cultures when it's not explicitly stated to be intentional, is seen as a mark of ignorance and insensitivity.

From what I'm reading in the comments, they also seems to feel a sense of disparity when it comes to the realism for respective factions.
I think the Japanese audience feels that there is a difference in treatment between the knight and samurai.
They feel that, sure, the knight is ridiculous, especially the Conqueror, but not as ridiculous when compared to the samurai.
For example, European knight and samurai both had steel armour in real life.
If you gave wooden armour to a European Knight in this game, it would be unacceptable.
But, somehow, in this game it is acceptable for Samurai to have wooden armour.
And they feel this is because the devs put a lot more research into knights than they did with samurai.

Of course, as always, people will complain about realism.
The balance of realism in this game is a hard and complicated subject.
On one hand, you could say that artistic license is part of what makes video games art, and the content creators should not let their imaginations be shackled by realism.
However, you also have to think about it this way:
I think the main issue, and the reason why this game has so many complaints about accuracy, is that people are drawn into this game because it's a game about Knights vs Vikings vs Samurai.
However, if you stray too much from reality, it no longer becomes a game about Knights vs Vikings vs Samurai, and instead becomes Fantasy warrior vs Fantasy warrior vs Fantasy warrior.

You also have to remember that when you go too deep into popular images of warriors, it seeps into stereotypes, and people generally find stereotypes to be annoying or insulting.

Anyways, I hope I managed to convey their point of view.

Shinkirou_
10-27-2016, 09:50 PM
Another common complaint is about the censorship in the Japanese version.
The Japanese version has no decapitation or dismemberment, which makes a lot of the execution moves look pretty silly :p

MisterWillow
11-01-2016, 09:28 AM
I believe people around the world don't like having their culture confused with another culture, not just Japan.
I'm sure if you walked around talking about "Japanese Kung-Fu" or "Chinese Karate", nobody would take you seriously.
And if you told an Englishman or a Frenchman that "England and France are the same thing", they would not respond positively.
Generally, mixing up cultures when it's not explicitly stated to be intentional, is seen as a mark of ignorance and insensitivity.

From what I'm reading in the comments, they also seems to feel a sense of disparity when it comes to the realism for respective factions.
I think the Japanese audience feels that there is a difference in treatment between the knight and samurai.
They feel that, sure, the knight is ridiculous, especially the Conqueror, but not as ridiculous when compared to the samurai.
For example, European knight and samurai both had steel armour in real life.
If you gave wooden armour to a European Knight in this game, it would be unacceptable.
But, somehow, in this game it is acceptable for Samurai to have wooden armour.
And they feel this is because the devs put a lot more research into knights than they did with samurai.

Of course, as always, people will complain about realism.
The balance of realism in this game is a hard and complicated subject.
On one hand, you could say that artistic license is part of what makes video games art, and the content creators should not let their imaginations be shackled by realism.
However, you also have to think about it this way:
I think the main issue, and the reason why this game has so many complaints about accuracy, is that people are drawn into this game because it's a game about Knights vs Vikings vs Samurai.
However, if you stray too much from reality, it no longer becomes a game about Knights vs Vikings vs Samurai, and instead becomes Fantasy warrior vs Fantasy warrior vs Fantasy warrior.

You also have to remember that when you go too deep into popular images of warriors, it seeps into stereotypes, and people generally find stereotypes to be annoying or insulting.

Very well said. :D

Another common complaint is about the censorship in the Japanese version.
The Japanese version has no decapitation or dismemberment, which makes a lot of the execution moves look pretty silly :p

Are they sure it's not the helmet bug? I know a lot of people noted that certain helmets would negate the decapitation animation.

FHL Team sbt
11-01-2016, 09:36 AM
jesus jane you need to rescale that image..its far to big ahah i just sent you a smaller one. and good point about it willow. i checked the forums a few days ago maybe a week ago and saw how dead they are. from that i just assumed it must of been a flop. Or closed alpha in JP only includes press and biger counterparts unlike the west. checking twitter JP there is not to much on the topic of for honor :(

Dez_troi_aR
11-01-2016, 03:05 PM

Yes, you did ! Your answer makes a lot of sense.

However, i still think that noone should feel insulted by carricatures or comic book versions of iconic figures (if it isn't meant to discriminate). "The Viking" for example was a discursive figure from the first time christian monks described them to their carolingian kings. The image doesnt describe reality but is public myth, not belonging to anyone, but all. You dont need the permission of danish or swedish people to make a holliwood movie about the viking age. Same with Samurai and knights. In my opinion, if you are looking for history and cultural heritage, you need to go to the library, not switch on your Playstation :) (but that can be argued against, i am aware)

Anyway, thanks for your interesting post!

WinterHt
11-02-2016, 03:22 PM
FWIW, if Japanese community will feel better, treatment of other factions regarding realism is not really that much better.

Neither Raider, nor Berserker are particularly accurate looking depictions of viking era warriors. There are no living martial arts or martial art instructions from that era either, so fighting syltes will always be what if for them. Although we haven't seen much of them yet, Valkyrie and Warlord aren't too accurate looking either, though Warlord is arguably the most plausible looking of Viking faction. Also note worthy is the fact that, naked Raider without any meaning armour, is the most tanky among 3 Vanguard characters, even though other two are armoured.

Knights... well... Warden has overly thick, bricky looking longsword, and their torso armour seems to be a weird mix of mail, leather and bits of plate that isn't realistic. While it is a powerful enough class, it is not really representative of neither Italian nor German schools of longsword fencing. His heavy attacks seem so slow they are almost unusable. Conqueror, this guy is the Heavy, the tank class for knights, but funnily is the least well armoured other than the Peacekeeper, who is a totally fantasy character anyway. Also, existance is single handed flail is a debated subject, unless I am mistaken, there are not historical examples found so far.

So yeah, none of the factions are realistic really. Does that bother me? Yeah, to some degree, but not too much, as I take the game not too seriously in this respect as it is obvious they are going for some real history inspired fantasy rather than realism, and I anticipate the game for an interesting melee fighting game between look-alikes these iconic cultures.

When looked at from this perspective, it looks like game will be unique, varied, and very fun, as well as competitive, and I anticipate these features with the game.

When though, looked at from a historical arms/armour/martial arts enthusiast's perspective, I agree it is quite disappointing in multiple respects, but this aims to be a popular game, and there is a huge popular culture surrounding these warriors they have to cater to, which unfortunately will bring along it's misconceptions with it. I understand such issues with Samurai faction may have appeared touchy to Japanese audience. But really, if anything, other factions has it worse in this respect :).

It has been interesting to hear opinions of players from Japanese alpha, thanks!

Dark-Thomy
11-03-2016, 10:50 AM
For sure, I think what they tried to do was to depict those factions as people tend to imagine them.

I must admit that I imagine vikings like tall non-armored guys, knights like full armored warriors and samurais as non-metal armored quicker warriors..
Even if I know this is probably not (at all) realistic.

Dez_troi_aR
11-03-2016, 11:07 AM
For sure, I think what they tried to do was to depict those factions as people tend to imagine them.

I must admit that I imagine vikings like tall non-armored guys, knights like full armored warriors and samurais as non-metal armored quicker warriors..
Even if I know this is probably not (at all) realistic.

Exactly! If they would have an authenticity philosophy about the classes, people would propably be dissapointed.