PDA

View Full Version : Computer Rebooted -- Have to Start Over

umpy11
11-20-2003, 11:46 PM
I made it as far as Relto and went to the Geyser age. When exiting my computer rebooted. Now when I go and start the game, it doesn't recognize that I've played before. Is there any way to get it back? Have my game settings in the "current" folder become corrupt? Help!!!

umpy11
11-20-2003, 11:46 PM
I made it as far as Relto and went to the Geyser age. When exiting my computer rebooted. Now when I go and start the game, it doesn't recognize that I've played before. Is there any way to get it back? Have my game settings in the "current" folder become corrupt? Help!!!

HG1973
11-21-2003, 12:15 AM
You probally will ump. I get hard lock-ups all the time yet I haven't once lost my data. (Darn AMD and Via chipset combos)

Good rule of thumb next time. Backup your save folder. I think someone posted you could.

"Darn fireflies, get over here!"

maztec
11-21-2003, 12:23 AM
Just back up the sav folder.

Try restarting and copying your previous sav folder's current directory to that of the new account you make. Might restore it. If the last current directory exists.

CountryEastern
11-22-2003, 08:27 AM
OMG! Exactly the same thing happened to me in the exact same place!! I had to start from scratch...but it went quickly.

There must be a fatal bug there....BEWARE.

SwansofNever
11-22-2003, 05:20 PM
sorry to bring bad news, but there is nothing you can do. you have to start the game over. this is one of the worst bugs i've seen in a game for quite a while.

i tried copying my old save files into a new character's directory (with the same name and everything) but it does not recognize them.

this bug does not delete your save files, it just somehow makes the game convinced they are not there. and nothing can fix it.

just wait for a patch. start over, and pray. no easy way around it.

RivenGurl
11-22-2003, 05:25 PM
Aye Carumba!! *avatar dances mexican dance* jeeves, get me an el sombrero!!

~ Goddess of the Lagoon

CountryEastern
11-23-2003, 07:16 AM
IT HAPPENED AGAIN! This time after completing TWO Ages!!! I simply can't start over, I can't....especially knowing that at any second I could lose everything again.....

I hope someone who can pass the word on about this bug is reading this....

sbrock314
11-23-2003, 09:48 AM
That's happened to me several times now. The first time I lost all my data and had to start over. If it doesn't crash to the desktop, my pc reboots itself. I just updated my video drivers with no luck (ATI 9700 Pro). I'm gonna have to wait for a patch before I play it again http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Naquiel
11-23-2003, 10:15 AM
Ok this is where someone is going to ask you to list your computer specs. And i have a question. Did you just upgrade your vid card?

Support bactiria-its the only culture some people have.

CountryEastern
11-23-2003, 10:26 AM
This is absolutely the game's fault. I have updated everything, always do, and I have a high-end machine.

Tech support wanted my dxdiag and one other file, which I sent them.

http://urulive.ubi.com/US/About/general_updatesmain.htm

The first time it happened I thought maybe it was because my virus program was still on (the only other thing running on my computer). So, I turned it off while I played. Still the crash occurred.

I hope someone is paying attention to this issue and adminstration here is passing the word along.

But, like you, I'll have to wait for a patch. Pretty sad.

(and furthermore...I wish you'd spell "bacteria" correctly, lol http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

jbhypno
11-23-2003, 10:43 AM
I didn't have this problem, but here is my suggestion. Quit the game after you start making progress. Once you quit you data is saved and you can pickup from where you left off. It may be annoying but it will save you some headaches until a patch is released.

JBhypno

Beta Tester
Guild of Greeters
Alien from beyond innerspace

CountryEastern
11-23-2003, 10:58 AM
That's not the problem. The IDENTITY is erased (not the Ages/gameplay data) when the game crashes. It doesn't recognize that identity anymore and will not load any saved Ages or info.

If I create a new identity and copy and paste all the info from the sav file into the new identity, it ignores the new one, gives it the old name, then ignores all the stuff in the sav folder so you have to start again.

I save regularly and frequently, as all experienced gamers do. This is a glitch or bug or pain in the .... well, you know.

sbrock314
11-23-2003, 11:13 AM
My pc specs are:
Intel 2.4
512 ram
ATI 9700 pro
80 gb hd, 53 gb free
Page file 768
DirectX 9.0b No problems found
Nothing else running in the background.

I just updated the video drivers this morning after reading the forums. Ran defrag last night. The game crashed to the desktop twice and rebooted itself after I updated the drivers. It doesn't happen in particular areas, just anywhere.

poutrew
11-23-2003, 01:43 PM
I have crashed 2 times now, but in both instances, I have used 'Goback' to save my avatar's progress.... if you have a program like Goback, you only need to go back to a time before the crash. Doesn't win XP have something like this built in, or does it only save windows related settings? Just an idea.

SwansofNever
11-23-2003, 02:31 PM
quitting the game does nothing. the progress is saved as you play, not when you quit. i know this because the game used to crash many times between ages but as long as it was not before relto loaded up i could go back and continue.

i say 'used' to be cause i have not had the problems anymore. i have a radeon 9700 pro and i upgraded to the catalyst 3.9 drivers (even though someone said the 3.8 work better for this buggy game) AND set my AGP (whatever the hell that is) to 2x in the ATI control panel. So far, I have not had a crash anywhere. this might work for you.

CountryEastern
11-23-2003, 02:45 PM
Thanks. I tweak my settings a bit. The second time this happened to me I got through half the game.

Question is...do I risk starting over, or wait for a patch--if any is to come.

sbrock314
11-23-2003, 03:11 PM
I'll try lowering the AGP setting to 2x. Thanks.

SwansofNever
11-23-2003, 10:26 PM
did it work?

sbrock314
11-24-2003, 09:50 PM
So far so good. I've played about 2 hrs this evening with no crash yet : )Thanks!

CountryEastern
11-24-2003, 09:53 PM
Mine crashed again...but did not erase anything this time...I hope...