PDA

View Full Version : So why does AC3 story suck so bad?

joshoolhorst
10-21-2016, 11:46 PM
I know it wasn't perfect
Their was no reason for Haytham to be playable (probably so we get interested in Forsaken lol)
5/12 was a tutorial.
Some editing
Not really a AC story if you know what I mean, the Creed was hardly mentioned.
A few other things but was the story that bad people?

LoyalACFan
10-22-2016, 12:36 AM
Actually most people seem to consider the story to be one of AC3's saving graces. Much of the really intensely negative feedback was directed at the extremely linear mission design, poor side content, rampant glitches/instability, and "Forrest Gump" effect.

IMO, the story was disappointing for two reasons; one, because Connor's motives seemed inconsistent to me (one minute he's preaching about the threat of encroaching settlers on his homeland, the next he's trying to make America great again) and two, because they totally skimmed over the really interesting and tragic (not to mention largely untold) side of the colonial era from the perspective of the indigenous people. Really had my hopes up that we'd get more of that conflict when they revealed that the hero was a half-Mohawk-half-British man trying to save his people from destruction. I mean, it's in there, kinda, but compared to the amount of time they squandered on the Top 10 Greatest Hits of the American Revolution (which ranged from 'shoehorned in' like the Declaration of Independence, to 'utterly cringey' like Paul Revere's Ride) it was basically an afterthought. Which is a damn shame, because when it was there, it was some of the best content the game had to offer.

Megas_Doux
10-22-2016, 01:25 AM
AC III' s story -and its combat- is what I like the most about the game. My complaints are the awful mission design that resulted into the sometimes cringeworthy Forrest gump effect in the likes of the Midnight's Ride and Connor winning the battles of Concord and Lexington.

The interactions between Haytham and Connor are top notch for me -despite the fact I DON'T like the latter's VA, though- so are Connor and Achilles ones too. I do agree with LoyalACfan on the matter I would've liked to see MORE of the mohawk and overall native struggle and less of the linear stuff we got to experience.

ERICATHERINE
10-22-2016, 01:31 AM
From my point of view, the story isn't bad at all. I think it's even the best ac game story so far. It have the best md and past days story, when I'm comparing it to any other ac game made so far. ^-^

joshoolhorst
10-22-2016, 10:01 AM
From my point of view, the story isn't bad at all. I think it's even the best ac game story so far. It have the best md and past days story, when I'm comparing it to any other ac game made so far. ^-^

I do be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the MD missions with Desmond just wish there were more missions, less linear and story focus or else it would've been my favorite:)

SixKeys
10-22-2016, 03:27 PM
Which is a damn shame, because when it was there, it was some of the best content the game had to offer.

One of my favorite moments is when Connor is arguing with Sam Adams about the hypocrisy of a slave-owning man preaching about freedom. It's telling that half of the conversation is easily skippable because it gets cut off as soon as you reach the checkpoint at Stephane Chapeau's house. It's one of the few moments in the game where Connor shows he's not completely na´ve and easily led; he recognizes that Adams is acting out of self-interest, not because he cares about Connor's quest for equality and justice. At the same time he knows he has to work with Adams because it's a mutually beneficial relationship, so he's having to compromise his moral integrity a little bit himself.
Unfortunately most players will probably miss half of the discussion because they're in a hurry to get to the next checkpoint or distracted by the things happening around them, a problem that could have been easily eliminated by making it a cut scene instead of gameplay. Once again, AC3 does everything ***-backwards - the moments that should be handled as cinematic cut scenes aren't, and the stuff that should be gameplay are done as cut scenes.

Megas_Doux
10-22-2016, 04:18 PM
Unfortunately most players will probably miss half of the discussion because they're in a hurry to get to the next checkpoint or distracted by the things happening around them, a problem that could have been easily eliminated by making it a cut scene instead of gameplay. Once again, AC3 does everything ***-backwards - the moments that should be handled as cinematic cut scenes aren't, and the stuff that should be gameplay are done as cut scenes.

Oh and what about those the monologues by Haytham and Connor talking about each another that were cut off????? Again, bonehead decisions....

PS Players can skip -in fact the majority do it- the pretty good dialogue during the "boss battle" between Haytham and Connor unless they do not try to win.

Fatal-Feit
10-22-2016, 04:28 PM
Once again, AC3 does everything ***-backwards - the moments that should be handled as cinematic cut scenes aren't, and the stuff that should be gameplay are done as cut scenes.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2n72dxsLu1qbolbn.gif

SixKeys
10-22-2016, 08:16 PM
PS Players can skip -in fact the majority do it- the pretty good dialogue during the "boss battle" between Haytham and Connor unless they do not try to win.

To be fair, that was already a problem in AC2. You can skip pretty much the entire final dialogue between Ezio and the Pope by simply countering a couple of times.

Locopells
10-23-2016, 12:28 AM
Yeah, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's had to run around in circles, making RB chase me, so that I can hear the full dialogue there!

http://i.imgur.com/8kKFfrZ.jpg (https://support.ubi.com)
Thanks to strigoi1958 for the sig!

LoyalACFan
10-23-2016, 03:49 AM
One of my favorite moments is when Connor is arguing with Sam Adams about the hypocrisy of a slave-owning man preaching about freedom. It's telling that half of the conversation is easily skippable because it gets cut off as soon as you reach the checkpoint at Stephane Chapeau's house. It's one of the few moments in the game where Connor shows he's not completely na´ve and easily led; he recognizes that Adams is acting out of self-interest, not because he cares about Connor's quest for equality and justice. At the same time he knows he has to work with Adams because it's a mutually beneficial relationship, so he's having to compromise his moral integrity a little bit himself.

l actually missed it myself on my first playthrough. Connor refers to that conversation again later in one of his sequence-opening monologues (specifically mentioning Surry) and l thought... who?

cawatrooper9
10-24-2016, 03:00 PM
I mostly like the AC3 story, but again if you were to have to pinpoint its weak points, I'd say it's issues are the same issues Unity had, just slightly toned down.

A lot of things that happen and are important (like the Homestead stuff) are relegated to side content- and a lot of people like this side content, so for fairness's sake, I'll just say YMMV. Personally, I played the Homestead stuff once, and that was more than enough for me.

However, without going through those missions, a lot feels like it's missing. We see Achilles sick in the main story, but we never see him die- though we do eventually and somewhat unceremoniously get a reveal after he's died.

The pacing was a little weird at points, too- a huge introduction (as someone mentioned (5/12 memories) with a really choppy and quick ending.

I guess the one thing that AC3 did better than Unity was to actually use historical characters in a way that is satisfying and makes sense- though it may have been an overcorrect on Unity's part, given how Forrest Gumpy AC3 handled this.