PDA

View Full Version : Something in Westworld TV series I thought that relates to games, specifically AC

RVSage
10-16-2016, 04:21 AM
The new TV series called "Westworld" from Jonathan Nolan, based on Michael Crichton's story/movie, started airing recently. It is really great.

The makers said they took a lot of inspiration from modern games, in Episode 2 there was this brilliant speech by the Anthony Hopkins character

“It’s not about giving the guests what you think they want. No that’s simple. The titillation, horror, elation—they’re parlor tricks. The guests don’t return for the obvious things we do, the garish things. They come back because of the subtleties, the details. They come back because they discover something they imagine no one had ever noticed before… something they’ve fallen in love with. ."

Guess this sums up beautifully what was wrong ACU , AC Syndicate

What was great with AC2 - Ezio triology, was the details, for instance Leonardo's flying machine, the brotherhood machine gun, were all fine , unexpected details. the truth video, the clues hidden within the game world were details, which people took pride in solving first. Then the bleeding effect and it's implications with Desmond felt so great.

Black flag had details, in hunting, different ship mechanics, underwater caverns. You could discover treasures, upgrade plans. There were subtle details in weather, water simulation. The world was fascinating to explore. The character exploration of different pirates was meaningful, felt beautiful

In other words AC2 and AC Black Flag did not take the easy way out in story telling

But in ACU and AC Syndicate, we were sent out to collect chests with no meaning, witnessed obvious and predictable story lines, with no attention to details (There were some minor stuff in both games), But nothing would give the gratification the other two games gave. They took the easy way out in both games.

In essence Ubi thought, they were giving us what we want, that is simple, a huge open world was something many fans wanted, Victorian London was something many wanted, but did it help? No. They should do things because they want to , have detailed story, something unexpected, something fresh, yet something to relate to,

On a side note, I highly recommend this TV series, something after ages I enjoy watching

Sorrosyss
10-16-2016, 04:55 PM
I love the show, and its only two episodes old. I've not much to add to what you've said, but the way the show handles the split between the modern day and a historical period is very reminiscent of the AC franchise, and in my view another endorsement to the concept that an AC tv show can totally work.

RVSage
10-16-2016, 06:24 PM
Yup , it handles a lot of things much like AC. AC as a TV series has more scope than as a movie, with each season venturing into a setting, But that may undermine the game series, thus they went with movies I guess

Locopells
10-17-2016, 12:51 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1306143-It-s-the-little-things-Forums

http://i.imgur.com/8kKFfrZ.jpg (https://support.ubi.com)
Thanks to strigoi1958 for the sig!

cawatrooper9
10-17-2016, 03:52 PM
Love the show too, but I think Locopells has a point- these newer games do have the little things, still.

RVSage
10-17-2016, 05:43 PM
I agree with Loco, as well there were some minor details in both ACU and ACS I do mention it in the original post, but none of them really contributed to the story/progression. like it did in AC2 or black Flag

m4r-k7
10-17-2016, 11:10 PM
Its such an awesome show and does prove that an AC TV show could be cool. Also, the Westworld theme tune has some similarities with Ezios Family theme :)