PDA

View Full Version : Pe-2, Boston, and Il-4 naval bombers.

XyZspineZyX
06-06-2003, 11:21 PM
A few weeks ago, I read an article about the soviet antiship missions in WWII, and found it quite interresting.

I also saw someone was modeling the Boston, and Oleg had reserved the Pe-2 and the Il-4.

I don't know if it's projected to include torpedoes in the armament of the Boston and Il-4 weapons (the Pe-2 was used as a dive-bomber against ships) but it would allow preparing a campaign on a theme such as 8 MTAD (this division, operating in the Baltic sea and the gulf of Finland sank 229 german and finish ships in the last 14 months of the war).

Is there anyone else interrested in flying free hunting antiship missions over the sea or sea-skimming attacks on ennemy harbors with twin engined bombers ?

XyZspineZyX
06-06-2003, 11:21 PM
A few weeks ago, I read an article about the soviet antiship missions in WWII, and found it quite interresting.

I also saw someone was modeling the Boston, and Oleg had reserved the Pe-2 and the Il-4.

I don't know if it's projected to include torpedoes in the armament of the Boston and Il-4 weapons (the Pe-2 was used as a dive-bomber against ships) but it would allow preparing a campaign on a theme such as 8 MTAD (this division, operating in the Baltic sea and the gulf of Finland sank 229 german and finish ships in the last 14 months of the war).

Is there anyone else interrested in flying free hunting antiship missions over the sea or sea-skimming attacks on ennemy harbors with twin engined bombers ?

XyZspineZyX
06-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Count me in. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

I am working on a massive mission involving IL~4 and IL~2 torpedo attacks combined with Pe~2 dive bombing and possibly Tu~2 bombing at low altitude (say 500-1000 meters). All anti~ship.

Also doing one for He~11 torpedoes with Ju~88 and (flyable) Ju~87 dive bombing. All anti~ship.

Funny though, has anybody noticed the invisible DB3 torpedo bomber? The skin doesn't show up. Only the torpedo and antenna show. Although it is kinda neat to see a torpedo float just above the runway, and take off on its own. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
06-07-2003, 12:14 AM
Man o Man..... I have been whinning for the Pe series medium bombers along with the Tu-2 since the 1.02 patch. I have yet to see them appear on the horizon or my arming screen. I think if we hold our breath waiting for them, we will pass out from lack of Oxygen. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

XyZspineZyX
06-07-2003, 12:20 AM
Yes! Tu~2 and Dornier Do~17 are what I lust for.

Also, a He~177 so I can use my Mig~3U to its best. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

You know, if Gibbage's Go~229 jet is a high altitude aircraft, it would justify the late war high altitude experimental Migs.

XyZspineZyX
06-16-2003, 02:28 PM
Just to make the naval bomber fans dream a little : the soviet adapted a number of Bostons like this :

- glazed nose based of the Il-4's one (for the concrete nose A-20G versions and some A-20B and C).

- two UBK machine guns (better than the browning ones, though somme kept the US guns) in the nose.

- Gneiss-2M soviet naval search radar (used to find enemy ships in bad weather).

- Additional CO2 pressurized and armored Pe-2 and Hampden fuel tanks in the bomb bay (to give it the rang of the Il-4)

- external racks for soviet torpedoes (bigger than the american ones which were carried in the bomb bay) which could also carry mines or FAB-500 and FAB-1000 (used by Bostons in the attack against the "Niobe" cruiser) bombs.

- New soviet pilot gun sight and navigator torpedo and bomb sights.

- Underbelly Pe-2 turret armed with an UB or Browning (depending on aircrafts) machine gun.

- Dorsal UTK turret with Browning and UB (except for the A-20Gs).

Combined with the performances and the handling qualities of the Douglas plane they considered delightful, these allowed the plane to be considered by the soviet pilots as an impressive naval attack plane.

P.S. : it was used along with the Il-4 by the top-scoring (more than 200 ships sunk, 200 being the score on march 24th 1945, and its action wasn't limited to ship hunting) 1 GMTAP regiment which was also the most awarded unit of the VMF : 33 Heroes of the Soviet Union (+ 18 which were appointed after leaving the unit). Two of their airmen became one after the other C-in-C of the VMF.