PDA

View Full Version : So why are the Templars selling the ''Animus''

joshoolhorst
10-09-2016, 07:02 PM
I have been asking this for years wouldn't this expose their identity?
Also when I read in Jack the ripper DLC that they consider not talking with the Initiates was my most happiest moment in AC games in years no more Helix WORST PLOT DEVICE EVER

LoyalACFan
10-09-2016, 08:53 PM
If my understanding is correct, they're selling whitewashed versions of the past as standalone entertainment/educational products (i.e. the Tragedy of Jacques de Molay), but the Initiates have hacked into the original sources and are now essentially crowdsourcing their searches for PoE's via volunteers who bought Helix products. Like in AC4, Abstergo was removing the more piratey, debauched parts of Edward's life to make it more palatable for a mass audience, remember? And I still haven't finished ACL, but I think a similar thing like that occurred where Abstergo tampered with the memories and you had to boost your sync before Erudito revealed the "true" events.

cawatrooper9
10-10-2016, 03:24 PM
Yeah, Loyal's pretty much right. I'd say there are two reasons-

1. Propaganda- remember, Arno and the Frye's stories are not what Abstergo is selling- they're actually selling propaganda like Loyal pointed out- The Tragedy of Jaques de Molay, Triumph of the Borgias, that sort of thing- so, while it does kind of reveal the existence of the Templars and Assassins, they control how each group is portrayed. Perhaps the Templars are preparing to finally fully reveal themselves to the world, and are doing this to be accepted as heroes.

2. Funding- Videogames can be a lucrative business. Abstergo has its hands in a lot of business, why not entertainment as well. These memories a goldmine- imagine if in the real world we had technology that could actually let us experience the past!

Also, I'd note that they're not selling Animuses (Animi?) They're selling the Helix, which is a console that can run the Templar's pre-filtered, propaganda softwware. People presumably cannot use a Helix to experience their own genetic memories, though apparently they can be hacked, as we see in ACU and ACS.