PDA

View Full Version : OT : Fate of US WW2 deserters other than Eddie Slovik?

Ed_the_sock
03-23-2004, 09:55 PM
Just read about the only US soldier shot for desertion in WW2. Others were sentenced/commuted to life imprisonment. I was wondering how long that actually was - anybody know ?

Ed_the_sock
03-23-2004, 09:55 PM
Just read about the only US soldier shot for desertion in WW2. Others were sentenced/commuted to life imprisonment. I was wondering how long that actually was - anybody know ?

mattinen
03-24-2004, 04:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ed_the_sock:
Just read about the only US soldier shot for desertion in WW2. Others were sentenced/commuted to life imprisonment. I was wondering how long that actually was - anybody know ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately I have no information about the US. derserters, but I believe their fate might have been the same as their Finish collegues.

During the Continuation War (1941-44) 16 000 Finish Soldiers deserted from the lines. In July 1944 the penal code of the Finish armed forces was changed, and it became possible to use the death penalty for desertion. 76 deserters were condemend to death, and 46 sentences were carried out. Rest of the death sentences were commuted to long prison terms. After the war, however, it was considered unpractical to keep young me in jail, when the nation was short of employmet. So in december 1944 a pardon act was past by the Parliament. Life inprisonment was reduced to 10 years. If the prisoner behaved well, he was released after he had served half of his punishment, 5 years that is.

maliaio1
12-15-2005, 09:30 AM
Earnie Slovick was the only soldier executed for deserstion and he came back on his own. Eisenhaur wanted to make an example of him. It didn't work. They elso executed his wife Maria in a different manner. She was not allowed any of Earnie's benefits. It was the biggest shame of of the war and Eisnehaur's carreer. I knew Mrs.Slovick, she lived and died in a house around Central street in Detroit. She needed medical care all her life for a bum leg, she needed benefits from her husbands service duty, she had to live in poverty and she worked all her life to have her husbands name cleared. It was and still is a disgrace that the boy was shot. He never should have been allowed into the militarty, but I think he had a choice of jail, for something minor, or join the army. Eisenhaur could have done something else, taking that boy out and shooting him still upsets me and I wasn't even born then.
malia io

danjama
12-15-2005, 09:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by maliaio1:
Earnie Slovick was the only soldier executed for deserstion and he came back on his own. Eisenhaur wanted to make an example of him. It didn't work. They elso executed his wife Maria in a different manner. She was not allowed any of Earnie's benefits. It was the biggest shame of of the war and Eisnehaur's carreer. I knew Mrs.Slovick, she lived and died in a house around Central street in Detroit. She needed medical care all her life for a bum leg, she needed benefits from her husbands service duty, she had to live in poverty and she worked all her life to have her husbands name cleared. It was and still is a disgrace that the boy was shot. He never should have been allowed into the militarty, but I think he had a choice of jail, for something minor, or join the army. Eisenhaur could have done something else, taking that boy out and shooting him still upsets me and I wasn't even born then.
malia io </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, powerful first post http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

marc_hawkins
12-15-2005, 09:40 AM
The poor bugger. Over here they are still campaigning to have all those shot for cowardice and desertion in the first world war to get an offical exoneration, what with the later understanding of the effects of shell shock and all.

And with better understanding of the hell that was the western front I don't blame them one bit for losing it for whatever reason anyway. Half of them were just boys.

danjama
12-15-2005, 09:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by marc_hawkins:
The poor bugger. Over here they are still campaigning to have all those shot for cowardice and desertion in the first world war to get an offical exoneration, what with the later understanding of the effects of shell shock and all.

And with better understanding of the hell that was the western front I don't blame them one bit for losing it for whatever reason anyway. Half of them were just boys. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Been watchin Not Forgotten too eh? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif