PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft carrier idea for FB !!!

SodBuster43
02-11-2004, 11:13 PM
When I was playing around making my own terrain for Operation Flashpoint I made an Iwo Jima island that was fairly accurate but was scaled down 50 percent from actual size. This island was not made using actual DEMS but was rather stylized from accurate terrain maps that I obtained off the web. Mount Suribachi looked impressive and truly resembled its real life counterpart. I actually had this island working ingame and downloaded some of the USA and Japanese forces addons to mess around with. This was great fun assaulting or defending Mt Suribachi. From the top of Suribachi you could see the allied beach landing using the Higgins Boat addon.

One of the cool things I did was to place a Allied Battlegroup off the coast of Iwo Jima. This was simply done by making perfectly rectangular terrain to resemble ships and texturing the cells to resemble their steel hulls. The aircraft carrier worked well also and the flight decks were textured with appropriate markings as well. For the ships super structures I strategically placed some buildings and guards towers.

I submitted a beta version of this island to ofp.gamezone.cz the Czech site for Operation Flashpoint addons which is still active. I did not hear anything back about it and after a time lost interest in doing this. The work has since been lost but it is not hard to do.

The tools I used to accomplish this were WILBUR and WARPEDIT. There is a new tool called WARPTOOL that even better than WARPEDIT in some respects. Of course the .wrp or warp files are native to Operation Flashpoint but the concept would be similar to whatever 1C:Maddox is using to model terrain.

WILBUR is a rather fun tool for modeling terrain and the resulting terrain can be saved or exported in many file formats. It is very easy to use with excellent results. For exportation to WARPEDIT for instance I would simply save the terrain file to latitude/longitude text mesh format. I worked with 256x256 and 512x512 pixel terrain models. I tried one at 1024x1024 pixels with some success but this did not work that great in Operation Flashpoint. This was a huge area for that game, 51.2km x 51.2km or 2,621 sq km. The default map size for Operation Flashpoint was 256x256 pixels or 12.8km x 12.8km respectively.

The terrain model for the ships was actually created in Warpedit or Warptool as this was a simple procedure of raising a selected rectangular area of cells to maybe 10 meters above sea level. Of course the bow of the ship was also not streamlined (pointed) but it served its purpose and once it was textured really looked rather good. I experimented and made the ships long enough that an aircraft could be successfully landed on them.

So, this would seem to be a simple alternative to the very complex process of modeling an actual aircraft carrier and would be quite fun if a few of these rectangular island ships were placed around a map in IL-2 Forgotten Battles.

Best regards,
SodBuster43

SodBuster43
02-11-2004, 11:13 PM
When I was playing around making my own terrain for Operation Flashpoint I made an Iwo Jima island that was fairly accurate but was scaled down 50 percent from actual size. This island was not made using actual DEMS but was rather stylized from accurate terrain maps that I obtained off the web. Mount Suribachi looked impressive and truly resembled its real life counterpart. I actually had this island working ingame and downloaded some of the USA and Japanese forces addons to mess around with. This was great fun assaulting or defending Mt Suribachi. From the top of Suribachi you could see the allied beach landing using the Higgins Boat addon.

One of the cool things I did was to place a Allied Battlegroup off the coast of Iwo Jima. This was simply done by making perfectly rectangular terrain to resemble ships and texturing the cells to resemble their steel hulls. The aircraft carrier worked well also and the flight decks were textured with appropriate markings as well. For the ships super structures I strategically placed some buildings and guards towers.

I submitted a beta version of this island to ofp.gamezone.cz the Czech site for Operation Flashpoint addons which is still active. I did not hear anything back about it and after a time lost interest in doing this. The work has since been lost but it is not hard to do.

The tools I used to accomplish this were WILBUR and WARPEDIT. There is a new tool called WARPTOOL that even better than WARPEDIT in some respects. Of course the .wrp or warp files are native to Operation Flashpoint but the concept would be similar to whatever 1C:Maddox is using to model terrain.

WILBUR is a rather fun tool for modeling terrain and the resulting terrain can be saved or exported in many file formats. It is very easy to use with excellent results. For exportation to WARPEDIT for instance I would simply save the terrain file to latitude/longitude text mesh format. I worked with 256x256 and 512x512 pixel terrain models. I tried one at 1024x1024 pixels with some success but this did not work that great in Operation Flashpoint. This was a huge area for that game, 51.2km x 51.2km or 2,621 sq km. The default map size for Operation Flashpoint was 256x256 pixels or 12.8km x 12.8km respectively.

The terrain model for the ships was actually created in Warpedit or Warptool as this was a simple procedure of raising a selected rectangular area of cells to maybe 10 meters above sea level. Of course the bow of the ship was also not streamlined (pointed) but it served its purpose and once it was textured really looked rather good. I experimented and made the ships long enough that an aircraft could be successfully landed on them.

So, this would seem to be a simple alternative to the very complex process of modeling an actual aircraft carrier and would be quite fun if a few of these rectangular island ships were placed around a map in IL-2 Forgotten Battles.

Best regards,
SodBuster43

SodBuster43
02-11-2004, 11:44 PM
Maybe some functional trap wires could be stretched across the "deck" as well.

Best regards,
SodBuster43