PDA

View Full Version : A suggestion for the AI

leadbaloon
05-10-2004, 03:03 PM
I feel that it would be more realistic if the AI 'planes, when lightly damaged, attempted to break and RTB (rather than waiting until their engine is completely knackered, i.e. not turning). Today I was playing and hit an enemy aircraft in the engine. Thick black smoke poured from it, so I decided to leave him to his fate. I pulled a split s and started to RTB (he was the last of the fighter group we'd encountered). A few seconds later I looked in my mirror and he was chasing me!

It's not always that extreme, but I often see 'planes that look like swiss cheese, trailing glycol, still engaged and attacking enemies. If it were me flying a 'plane I'd be trying to get out of there as soon as their was any sign of damage to my engine or fuel system, or if I only had one aileron, or half an elevator.

Maybe not possible to put this into AEP, but could be a suggestion for BOB. It may mean less aircraft getting "killed" during missions too, which I know some people have complained about.

It'd also be nice if after they RTB they didn't vanish...

Sorry, couldn't resist that last bit. The horses corpse is so rotten and decayed that my foot is all sticky and stinking after that kick, but it's only me that will have to clean my metaphorical shoes.

leadbaloon
05-10-2004, 03:03 PM
I feel that it would be more realistic if the AI 'planes, when lightly damaged, attempted to break and RTB (rather than waiting until their engine is completely knackered, i.e. not turning). Today I was playing and hit an enemy aircraft in the engine. Thick black smoke poured from it, so I decided to leave him to his fate. I pulled a split s and started to RTB (he was the last of the fighter group we'd encountered). A few seconds later I looked in my mirror and he was chasing me!

It's not always that extreme, but I often see 'planes that look like swiss cheese, trailing glycol, still engaged and attacking enemies. If it were me flying a 'plane I'd be trying to get out of there as soon as their was any sign of damage to my engine or fuel system, or if I only had one aileron, or half an elevator.

Maybe not possible to put this into AEP, but could be a suggestion for BOB. It may mean less aircraft getting "killed" during missions too, which I know some people have complained about.

It'd also be nice if after they RTB they didn't vanish...

Sorry, couldn't resist that last bit. The horses corpse is so rotten and decayed that my foot is all sticky and stinking after that kick, but it's only me that will have to clean my metaphorical shoes.

LEXX_Luthor
05-11-2004, 03:52 AM
All great ideas. Thanks.

In fact Beery covered all of these recently, or tried to, but I snapped http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/crazy.gif cos I thought he was blaming my new planes for lack of these improvements.

glycol? That's fuel they are streaming.

We have to have landed aircraft park and stay parked because we need the eventlog file to record if they are destroyed by air or ground units while they sit vulnerable on the airfield. I say turn AI collision off while the AI taxi to park. The sad thing is that the AI taxi collision only happened with very large aircraft mostly 4+ engine types (He~111Z has 5 engines). Or at least have only the 4+ engine planes vanish, that would solve the problem and you don't find many 4+ engine aircraft at airfields near the frontline.

"You will still have FB , you will lose nothing" ~WUAF_Badsight
"I had actually pre ordered CFS3 and I couldnt wait..." ~Bearcat99
"Gladiator and Falco, elegant weapons of a more civilized age" ~ElAurens
:
"Damn.....Where you did read about Spitfire made from a wood?
Close this book forever and don't open anymore!" ~Oleg_Maddox http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

pettera
05-11-2004, 08:17 AM
I agree, AI are terribly eager at getting shot down. They should RTB as soon as they are significantly damaged.

Petter

Dmitri9mm
05-11-2004, 09:51 AM
I have mentioned this several times before.
What I would like to see is AI closer to the way it was in EAW (Europian Air War). This game featured large formations of aircraft and an almost realistic way of fighting, exept that almost all fights would end up on the deck. The AI allowed the entire formation of fighters to break from a fight after loosing only 3 or 4 planes out of 12. Sometimes when 3-4 planes had used up their ammo all would break off, pretty realistic really.
I don't like the idea of single aircraft going RTB after being damaged, this is already in the game, and a single plane on RTB is as good as dead, and was in RL too. Rather a damaged plane should stay by its wingman, for a safe journey home, this was the normal procedure in WWII.
I really want to see AI changed in PF or BoB.

http://www.pimaair.org/pictures/F4u.jpg
Ready for take off in 2004?

TheEngine88
05-11-2004, 10:07 AM
I'd like to see the AI's reluctance to bail out of damaged ac. Can't count how many times I've seen a smoking, but controlled, ac just leisurely coast down into the treetops, killing the pilot, rather than hit the silk. Baffles me.