PDA

View Full Version : Triple threat and 3v3 matches

LegendOfYore
10-07-2016, 01:41 AM
It surprised me this wasn't in the Alpha at all. I think it would be nice to have 3v3 and triple threat matches. Sometimes it's hard to get 4 friends together and sometimes 2v2 dual/dominion modes would limit you if you have a two friends you like to play with. This could open up all kinds of interesting game modes that reiterate the 3 faction theme:

- 3v3 Dominion would be awesome. Maybe also include a mode that has faction restrictions as well as one without the restrictions. For example: In a faction restriction mode, if your team picks Knights, you go up against another group that picked Samurai/Viking/Knights. This could lead to all Viking vs Viking battles and build interesting gameplay with factions against each other.

- Triple threat and triple threat dominion could also have a faction restriction mode and a none restriction mode. For example: if you pick a Samurai hero, you are guaranteed to go up against one Knight, and one Viking in an all out war.

- You could also hold private matches like many have asked for regarding 1v1 duals, but for multiple friends instead. Include a triple threat dominion mode and 3v3 against AI dominion if your friends just want to have a lighter mode of play.

This could also apply to the 4v4 modes as well and keep things reasonable in terms of balance and the theme of For Honor.

Really looking forward to this game's potential and love that someone has finally created a game that has as much creativity as this one does with sword and close range weapons combat mechanics. Hope I get to try the beta!

- LegendOfYore

Razor__Fox
10-07-2016, 11:54 AM
It surprised me this wasn't in the Alpha at all. I think it would be nice to have 3v3 and triple threat matches. Sometimes it's hard to get 4 friends together and sometimes 2v2 dual/dominion modes would limit you if you have a two friends you like to play with. This could open up all kinds of interesting game modes that reiterate the 3 faction theme:

- 3v3 Dominion would be awesome. Maybe also include a mode that has faction restrictions as well as one without the restrictions. For example: In a faction restriction mode, if your team picks Knights, you go up against another group that picked Samurai/Viking/Knights. This could lead to all Viking vs Viking battles and build interesting gameplay with factions against each other.

- Triple threat and triple threat dominion could also have a faction restriction mode and a none restriction mode. For example: if you pick a Samurai hero, you are guaranteed to go up against one Knight, and one Viking in an all out war.

- You could also hold private matches like many have asked for regarding 1v1 duals, but for multiple friends instead. Include a triple threat dominion mode and 3v3 against AI dominion if your friends just want to have a lighter mode of play.

This could also apply to the 4v4 modes as well and keep things reasonable in terms of balance and the theme of For Honor.

Really looking forward to this game's potential and love that someone has finally created a game that has as much creativity as this one does with sword and close range weapons combat mechanics. Hope I get to try the beta!

- LegendOfYore

Triple Threat 3 way duels would be awesome. Being able to invite friends to duels is also VITAL in my opinion. not sure that 3v3 dominion would bring much different to the current 4v4 with 1 bot on your side.

3v3v3 however would be incredible. would need new maps of course but having three armies clashing would be chaotic beauty.

LegendOfYore
10-08-2016, 03:41 AM
Triple Threat 3 way duels would be awesome. Being able to invite friends to duels is also VITAL in my opinion. not sure that 3v3 dominion would bring much different to the current 4v4 with 1 bot on your side.

3v3v3 however would be incredible. would need new maps of course but having three armies clashing would be chaotic beauty.

True, 3v3 dominion may not be that different from 4v4 dominion. I was just thinking it would help cater to people who don't have a group of four and want to face other people but don't have a reliable 4th friend they can communicate with. This was more of a selfish wish than anything else, as I only play with two other friends most of time. Just figured I'd throw the idea out there and see if there are others who might play in groups of three who also want to play dominion.

3v3v3 is an awesome idea as well, chaotic beauty describes it well I imagine.

Thanks for the reply!

Dark-Thomy
10-08-2016, 11:15 AM
I actually like the 3v3v3 idea..!

Dez_troi_aR
10-11-2016, 10:20 AM
Can you name me one game that works 3v3v3 ? Or even 1v1v1 ? I know a lot of RTS and Shooters have the option for an everyone-vs-everyone scenario, but for RTS these are total garbage which ppl seem to play because they like explosions or to use cheeses. In Shooters it can also kinda work because an encounter might only last for 1 shot. I never played a game with a third opponent, exept heroes of might and magic, and there the following typical problem is common:
The only rational thing to do is to wait for two opponents to exaust themselves in battle (maybe farm a little in the meantime), then jump in and finish off the scarred winner. Same thing with rts, of course.
For ForHonor it would most likely result in everyone rushing to the minion line were it turns into the biggest hack n slash-fest ever.

I dont really like the idea.

Frostlord_Nixon
10-11-2016, 04:22 PM
I'm kind of back and forth about this one. On one hand I would LOVE a dominion mode with 3v3. Like you stated, it wouldn't be that different from 4v4, but I too am going to be a bit selfish because most of the time it was me and 2 friends with 1 randy, which sucked, but to be honest, this isn't that hard to add it, like at all.
On the other hand I like the idea of 3v3v3, but as Dez_troi_aR stated, I don't think this ever works well. It is usally not about skill and mainly about luck. For instance, Gears of War had/has wingman, multiple teams of 2 fighting. This was USUALLY determined by lucky spawns. A team with no deaths, but most skill could run into no body just because of team placement while a less skilled team has more opportunities. Also, as the previously stated name said as well, in this game people will wait for a battle to injure or exhaust themselves and them jump in to steal both kills. I would like to see it, but stuff like that would ruin it.
Also, on the idea of a pseudo-locked factions for game modes seems interesting to me, but not important (the part about selecting a faction as a team). Picking a faction won't restrict the other team from picking it (or maybe it does idk), but having just samurai/knights/vikings on each team would give it a nice ascetic of sorts. To be honest, I thought that's how the game would work at first since a lot of the original game play videos were just knights or samurai on each team. So yeah, with this idea I wouldn't be opposed to it, but at the same time I don't really mind it not being included.

Dark-Thomy
10-11-2016, 06:26 PM
Hmmm.... Metal Gear Online from MGS4 on ps3 had something like that.

Basically, during a classic team death match, one to two players would play a semi-cloaked quite powerful hero who needed to stun 3 isolated players from any team to win.

....but yeah, nothing to do with the current topic of 3v3v3 for our game here.

XavieroftheWind
10-12-2016, 12:33 AM
3v3v3 sounds like it needs its own maps designed around it.

I'm personally all for a 8 FOR ALL game mode where they spawn all 8 players on a map across from an opponent where they can work each other over one by one until only one remains, gaining a bit of health back after eliminating an opponent of course. And maybe give the last two full health for the final fight that everyone has to watch. Oh yes~ would be good. Might even create a bit of a Dark Souls mindset where people wait for one another to finish and emote before dueling honorably.. and even killing those who break the "Honor" rule. Could definitely see that happening. Might make a thread about it..

Frostlord_Nixon
10-12-2016, 04:48 AM
3v3v3 sounds like it needs its own maps designed around it.

I'm personally all for a 8 FOR ALL game mode where they spawn all 8 players on a map across from an opponent where they can work each other over one by one until only one remains, gaining a bit of health back after eliminating an opponent of course. And maybe give the last two full health for the final fight that everyone has to watch. Oh yes~ would be good. Might even create a bit of a Dark Souls mindset where people wait for one another to finish and emote before dueling honorably.. and even killing those who break the "Honor" rule. Could definitely see that happening. Might make a thread about it..

LOL, good luck with that one. The amount of people who have already shown to have no ****s given at all about having honor is so high I don't think that would ever be possible, but I hope that one day it can. We can only dream.

XavieroftheWind
10-12-2016, 05:30 AM
Give it time. When the community dies down a bit Honor will develop.

LegendOfYore
10-12-2016, 04:24 PM
Can you name me one game that works 3v3v3 ? Or even 1v1v1 ? I know a lot of RTS and Shooters have the option for an everyone-vs-everyone scenario, but for RTS these are total garbage which ppl seem to play because they like explosions or to use cheeses. In Shooters it can also kinda work because an encounter might only last for 1 shot. I never played a game with a third opponent, exept heroes of might and magic, and there the following typical problem is common:
The only rational thing to do is to wait for two opponents to exaust themselves in battle (maybe farm a little in the meantime), then jump in and finish off the scarred winner. Same thing with rts, of course.
For ForHonor it would most likely result in everyone rushing to the minion line were it turns into the biggest hack n slash-fest ever.

I dont really like the idea.

I don't think I can name a game that works 3v3v3, but can you name one game that is like For Honor? You make an excellent point, and the idea seems a bit like anarchy. What it would need is a way to earn points/rewards for getting hit points or damage while in a certain area. Something like capture the flag or king-of-the-hill. If it was a capture the flag type game, the only way to win is to get the flag back to your hold. The flag could be at the top of the hill in the center of the map, or you could steal other groups flags. The points score highest for defending and killing the flag carrier (who should be more than able to defend themselves in my opinion). Since For Honor has a very distinct hit system, it could award people based on how much damage they deal. Make points for hitting and killing enemies, lose points for hitting allies. It would take some balancing and tweaking to get it right, but it is still very plausible without feeling unbalanced.

I still just want 3v3 dominion the most for selfish reasons aforementioned :), and to have both faction restriction and non-restriction modes just to make things interesting and shake things up. Maybe even a triple threat playlist for private and public matches, and the game definitely needs a private playlist option. But I'm not against the 3v3v3 idea. Could work if done right.

Thanks for your input!

LegendOfYore
10-12-2016, 04:45 PM
I'm kind of back and forth about this one. On one hand I would LOVE a dominion mode with 3v3. Like you stated, it wouldn't be that different from 4v4, but I too am going to be a bit selfish because most of the time it was me and 2 friends with 1 randy, which sucked, but to be honest, this isn't that hard to add it, like at all.
On the other hand I like the idea of 3v3v3, but as Dez_troi_aR stated, I don't think this ever works well. It is usally not about skill and mainly about luck. For instance, Gears of War had/has wingman, multiple teams of 2 fighting. This was USUALLY determined by lucky spawns. A team with no deaths, but most skill could run into no body just because of team placement while a less skilled team has more opportunities. Also, as the previously stated name said as well, in this game people will wait for a battle to injure or exhaust themselves and them jump in to steal both kills. I would like to see it, but stuff like that would ruin it.
Also, on the idea of a pseudo-locked factions for game modes seems interesting to me, but not important (the part about selecting a faction as a team). Picking a faction won't restrict the other team from picking it (or maybe it does idk), but having just samurai/knights/vikings on each team would give it a nice ascetic of sorts. To be honest, I thought that's how the game would work at first since a lot of the original game play videos were just knights or samurai on each team. So yeah, with this idea I wouldn't be opposed to it, but at the same time I don't really mind it not being included.

Yea! Another 3v3 dominion supporter!

I don't want the game to restrict people from picking a faction they want to play, I was just meaning they select a faction and are pitted against another faction. I think it'd be fine if it ended up being Knights vs Knights or what have you. It would just be fun to see pvp with groups of people playing all as one type of faction. I'm glad they don't want to restrict it in the game, but I'd still like to have modes where this playlist is a possibility.

I do think 3v3v3 can work well if done right as I explained in a response to Dez_troi. Capture the flag or king-of-the-hill with a balanced point system from hit points and scoring should work really well. Not my idea originally, but I'm not against it. No other game is like For Honor (that I've ever played) and I think it has some untapped potential. Actually, come to think of it, capture-the-flag where points are made from hit points and kills/defense of the flag carrier and a time limit where there are flags in each faction base as well as a two points per flag if you claim the center hilltop of the map, and hold the flags there before time expires. It would make for some intense battles trying to vie for the most points, and there is no reward for running around doing nothing as you'd get hardly any points if all you get is the last hit on a character, so that could help prevent the gank-and-spank kind of gaming. This mode would also be best with a party of friends. Sorry, bit of a brainstorm tangent. Idk, I think it's a possibility and could be a lot of fun.

Thanks for your response!

Frostlord_Nixon
10-12-2016, 05:18 PM
Yea! Another 3v3 dominion supporter!

I don't want the game to restrict people from picking a faction they want to play, I was just meaning they select a faction and are pitted against another faction. I think it'd be fine if it ended up being Knights vs Knights or what have you. It would just be fun to see pvp with groups of people playing all as one type of faction. I'm glad they don't want to restrict it in the game, but I'd still like to have modes where this playlist is a possibility.

I do think 3v3v3 can work well if done right as I explained in a response to Dez_troi. Capture the flag or king-of-the-hill with a balanced point system from hit points and scoring should work really well. Not my idea originally, but I'm not against it. No other game is like For Honor (that I've ever played) and I think it has some untapped potential. Actually, come to think of it, capture-the-flag where points are made from hit points and kills/defense of the flag carrier and a time limit where there are flags in each faction base as well as a two points per flag if you claim the center hilltop of the map, and hold the flags there before time expires. It would make for some intense battles trying to vie for the most points, and there is no reward for running around doing nothing as you'd get hardly any points if all you get is the last hit on a character, so that could help prevent the gank-and-spank kind of gaming. This mode would also be best with a party of friends. Sorry, bit of a brainstorm tangent. Idk, I think it's a possibility and could be a lot of fun.

Thanks for your response!

They wouldn't have to restrict the factions to once each per game, it was just a note on how I honestly wouldn't mind either way, but I would like to see a faction game mode at the very least just for the sake of it being interesting.
As for the 3v3v3 update I'm fine if they can get it to work, as long as they can do so. I understand that no game is like for honor, but this has been said before, and sometimes doesn't mean much. This type of game mode doesn't have a good track record regardless of game, but again, if they can figure out a winning solution I'm more than up for it.

LegendOfYore
10-12-2016, 05:43 PM
They wouldn't have to restrict the factions to once each per game, it was just a note on how I honestly wouldn't mind either way, but I would like to see a faction game mode at the very least just for the sake of it being interesting.
As for the 3v3v3 update I'm fine if they can get it to work, as long as they can do so. I understand that no game is like for honor, but this has been said before, and sometimes doesn't mean much. This type of game mode doesn't have a good track record regardless of game, but again, if they can figure out a winning solution I'm more than up for it.

Very true. Hope for the best.