PDA

View Full Version : So this is a weird question

joshoolhorst
10-05-2016, 09:58 PM
So I have a question, why do memory corridors appear when I kill a Templar? I shoot the guy and now I'm standing right next to him and talking to him.
Hell Jacob slit somebodies throat with both of his hidden blades for example and he is still able to talk like nothing happened.
I want to ask this because now suddenly I'm the AC wikipedia (Which I don't to be btw sounds good:) for everyone around me LOL
How are you gonna explain that in the movie?

SixKeys
10-05-2016, 10:13 PM
Rule of Cool (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfCool)

RinoTheBouncer
10-06-2016, 11:23 AM
I've actually wondered about this since forever. How does the memory corridor thing work? if the character is still alive, then where are all the people surrounding them? how are they still able to talk when the fatal blow was basically destructive enough to prevent any normal human being from speaking or reacting? is it because of the First Civilization genes that makes an Assassin somehow share a final afterlife-like moment?

ERICATHERINE
10-06-2016, 11:57 AM
Who knows. Maybe in the movie we won't see those. Look at ac iii. Desmond had a massive amount of first civ. dna (it's been previously mentionned in ac re) and on the other hand when he killed Daniel Cross or Warren Vidic, for both of them there was no memory corridor. As for the people surrounding the dying and the killer, they are always there. Again, in ac iii, when Connor killed Pitcairn Putnam, Connor had to flee while still in the memory corridor, because of an arriving group of red coat. On the other hand, I doubt anyone can explain why in every other memory corridor from ac 1 to ac syndicate nobody did the same thing than that group. Of course, I remember that in the Thyranni of king Washington when Connor rescued Benjamin Franklin for the first time Washington arrived in the same way, but it wasn't in a memory corridor until Washington arrived, so I guess we can't count that. ^-^

joshoolhorst
10-06-2016, 04:40 PM
Who knows. Maybe in the movie we won't see those. Look at ac iii. Desmond had a massive amount of first civ. dna (it's been previously mentionned in ac re) and on the other hand when he killed Daniel Cross or Warren Vidic, for both of them there was no memory corridor. As for the people surrounding the dying and the killer, they are always there. Again, in ac iii, when Connor killed Pitcairn Putnam, Connor had to flee while still in the memory corridor, because of an arriving group of red coat. On the other hand, I doubt anyone can explain why in every other memory corridor from ac 1 to ac syndicate nobody did the same thing than that group. Of course, I remember that in the Thyranni of king Washington when Connor rescued Benjamin Franklin for the first time Washington arrived in the same way, but it wasn't in a memory corridor until Washington arrived, so I guess we can't count that. ^-^

I believe their was a deleted audio were Daniel confessed towards Desmond. I guess they cut it out because Daniel had hardly any screentime and the only people who would've cared are the people who read the The Fall comics.

joshoolhorst
10-06-2016, 04:59 PM
I've actually wondered about this since forever. How does the memory corridor thing work? if the character is still alive, then where are all the people surrounding them? how are they still able to talk when the fatal blow was basically destructive enough to prevent any normal human being from speaking or reacting? is it because of the First Civilization genes that makes an Assassin somehow share a final afterlife-like moment?

Arno Dorian was reading peoples mind or something like that, I think they wanted to explain it but eh it didn't really go anywhere and I can hardly believe that Altair, Ezio or anyone else just avoid speaking about that

D.I.D.
10-06-2016, 05:11 PM
It would have made a lot more sense if the in-game assassin had no idea about the conversation revealed in the White Room. Then, it would be the Animus furnishing the user with a complete picture. It would give the player a chance to know things that the assassin didn't know, which could have been an interesting toy for story purposes.

It's just about believable that, through other means, the assassin might have heard the same information. But when the assassin is telling the player in voiceover, or telling another NPC, about what the victim revealed in death, it gets messy.

ERICATHERINE
10-06-2016, 05:12 PM
I believe their was a deleted audio were Daniel confessed towards Desmond. I guess they cut it out because Daniel had hardly any screentime and the only people who would've cared are the people who read the The Fall comics.

Maybe, but there is still the case of Warren Vidic. ^-^

joshoolhorst
10-06-2016, 05:36 PM
Maybe, but there is still the case of Warren Vidic. ^-^

Yeah still weird maybe they cut out of because of time issues the first few times I walked into that scene everybodies body was stuck in the floor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIw2MgqpuXM
13:31 watch in slow motion for the best expierence XD

It does explain this mission in writing department.

Locopells
10-07-2016, 12:17 AM
I've always had a theory that the white room conversations had a mental aspect to them. Because some of them are - as pointed out - impossible in the sequence of events.

http://i.imgur.com/8kKFfrZ.jpg (https://support.ubi.com)
Thanks to strigoi1958 for the sig!

Sorrosyss
10-07-2016, 01:09 AM
I recall reading in one of the interviews for Unity, that Arno's reading of minds was a replication of the White Room within Helix. The reason that you even saw the white Animus code was that it could not interpret what it was seeing from the data. The argument that it is in fact a metaphysical meeting of minds in a psychic moment, kind of makes sense when you think back to what Arno experienced, and that the conversations would typically be performed once the target is given the killing blow.

D.I.D.
10-07-2016, 01:37 AM
I recall reading in one of the interviews for Unity, that Arno's reading of minds was a replication of the White Room within Helix. The reason that you even saw the white Animus code was that it could not interpret what it was seeing from the data. The argument that it is in fact a metaphysical meeting of minds in a psychic moment, kind of makes sense when you think back to what Arno experienced, and that the conversations would typically be performed once the target is given the killing blow.

This was such a great idea in Unity. Arno's talent brought everything together, if we take the idea that the best assassins have unusually high concentrations of First Civ DNA. Eagle Vision, Arno's pre-mission psychic thing, his receipt of visions in the moment of spilling the victim's blood: it meant that there was a clear reason for Arno and the player to share in all the same knowledge. Syndicate lost this again, and I hope this doesn't mean that the designers have turned their backs on Unity's principle.

I think Eagle Vision was better when it was a supernatural experience: ghostly whispers, a shadow world, blurry and strange. I didn't mind what Black Flag did to it in theory, but it did make Eagle Vision very "videogame"-ish. Lots of games do this thing of outlining silhouettes of NPCs through walls, and sometimes I hesitate to even use it because it messes up the scene. Sharp, precise silhouettes, glyphs over characters' heads, and all those kinds of representations cut a hole in the world and destroy its sense of depth and immersion.

A lot of people never liked Eagle Vision for being OP even for a superhero character, which I understand, but then again having nothing like that makes videogame characters handicapped compared to the average human. If I was a videogame character, I would know roughly where people were in the next room because of auditory clues. We can hear in the game, but it's not the kind of 3D precision we have in real life. Eagle Vision goes some way to make up for that, but I'd prefer it if it was represented graphically by a glow or a smudge that quickly evaporated when the NPC moved further away or stopped making a sound.

SixKeys
10-07-2016, 01:55 AM
This was such a great idea in Unity. Arno's talent brought everything together, if we take the idea that the best assassins have unusually high concentrations of First Civ DNA. Eagle Vision, Arno's pre-mission psychic thing, his receipt of visions in the moment of spilling the victim's blood: it meant that there was a clear reason for Arno and the player to share in all the same knowledge. Syndicate lost this again, and I hope this doesn't mean that the designers have turned their backs on Unity's principle.

I like the traditional white rooms, but I never understood why so many people had such a problem with Unity's approach. It makes sense for assassins to have some kind of sixth sense that gives them knowledge about the victim upon physical contact, more sense than the victim and the assassin having a long conversation in the real world while time stops for everyone else. The series has precedent in linking DNA and First Civ abilities, like how Desmond could read the right code combination just by looking at fingerprints in Eagle Vision. Unity requires hidden blades to be used for assassinations, bringing the assassin into close contact with his target. So it's not too far-fetched to think the link between reading the victim's mind has something to do with blood/DNA. I'm sorry they abandoned the idea so quickly, it was the first attempt ever to give a proper explanation for the memory corridors and people immediately rejected it because it was different.

cawatrooper9
10-07-2016, 05:09 PM
I've always had a theory that the white room conversations had a mental aspect to them. Because some of them are - as pointed out - impossible in the sequence of events.

I've thought that too, that they were not necessarily conversations that took place, but simply representative of the Assassin's feelings on the kill- for Altair and Connor it's often self doubt, for Ezio retribution.

The only problem with this is how often the Assassins get pertinent information from these conversations. How would Ezio know about Tarik's plan to infiltrate Cappadocia, if that conversation never took place, for instance?

That's why I like the idea of flashbacks in Unity- they seemingly could be imparted instantaneously (like a Vulcan mind meld, sort of) and they save white room stuff for when it's special (when you finally kill the final target in Unity, he actually points out the very existence of the White Room- but it makes sense, as both Arno and Germain could reasonably be unconscious in this situation, and no one is in pursuit). The only problem with flashbacks was how poorly executed and confusing they were.