PDA

View Full Version : Dropped theories or unanswered theories

joshoolhorst
10-03-2016, 06:49 PM
Tell me what theory you came up with and didn't happen but you thought might or could've happened or theories that yet have to be proven right.

I had a theory that 50% of AC3 was gonna be the Present storyline long ago.... Ooh so wrong I was:)
I remember people had a Atlantis theory

cawatrooper9
10-03-2016, 08:00 PM
Hmmmm... Good question!

In AC Revelations I had a theory that Clay had somehow gotten into the simulation and was using The Sentinel as an avatar (right before that memory, he makes some statement about wanting to "come with" Desmond- obviously to the real world, not the simulation, but I thought that might have a different meaning).

I too thought we'd get more MD in ACIII...

I thought that the protagonist in ACBF was a brainwashed Desmond- or, at least, that Desmond would be brought back by now.

In fact, I thought that the protag in BF and Rogue were the same person. Apparently that's not the case.

I was convinced that Haytham would be the protagonist of the game after Black Flag. I was wrong, obviously, but kind of close with Rogue.

I thought that Jacob would be the Ripper (yeah, I was one of those guys...)

I'm sure there were more crackpot theories I've had.

SixKeys
10-03-2016, 08:29 PM
When I played AC1 for the first time, I assumed the final confrontation would take place in Masyaf and we would have to climb the walls of that seemingly impenetrable fortress. I figured all those imposing archers couldn't be stationed up there just for show, we would have to fight our way in. Turns out I was wrong.

I assumed ACR was going to have some actual revelations. HAH! :rolleyes:

I figured AC3 was going to be about 75% modern day, Desmond and Vidic were going to have an epic showdown complete with white room confession and all. Desmond was going to stop the Templar satellite launch by sacrificing himself at Abstergo. Somewhere during the story we were going to visit the Farm where the modern brotherhood was supposedly stationed and where Desmond grew up.

I thought Leila Marino was going to get more backstory someday.

I considered that Lucy might turn out to be Eve.

I thought Shaun might have been the same guy whose e-mail we read in AC1, from some guy rambling about how he was going to expose Abstergo for killing people with a PoE.

I'm still convinced that the guy who killed Ezio was a Templar and you can't tell me otherwise.

And I hoped Jacob would turn out to be Jack the Ripper.

Sorrosyss
10-03-2016, 09:46 PM
Hah, too many to mention. S'funny how many of us were convinced AC3 would end up as all modern day. It really felt like that was the culmination we was heading toward.

My worst crime is attaching every female character to secretly be Eve. One day, I shall be right! :p

The irony is that some of the theories posted to this very forum have been more entertaining and thought provoking than the actual storylines we ended up with. Oh wells.

SixKeys
10-03-2016, 11:23 PM
Remember when we all wondered what the red footprints at the Villa in ACB meant? Proof that Lucy was working for the enemy? Messages from the past? Bleeding Effect? Subject 16?

OOOORRRR it could just be that the devs made them to guide playtesters and forgot to take them out before shipping. Foiled again. :p

ERICATHERINE
10-03-2016, 11:45 PM
I think that among the two only theory I ever made, only 1 didn't happen.

I once make a theory that the piece of eden we would have to search in syndicate would be the shroud. Obviously that did happen.

The other theory I made was that, since in the past days of syndicate, we would control Evie and Jacob controling the rooks, in the md, we would control Shaun and Rebecca controling the initiates.

Too bad, ubisoft. You missed your big chance. The last md could have been so much better. ^-^

joshoolhorst
10-04-2016, 06:10 AM
Hah, too many to mention. S'funny how many of us were convinced AC3 would end up as all modern day. It really felt like that was the culmination we was heading toward.

My worst crime is attaching every female character to secretly be Eve. One day, I shall be right! :p

The irony is that some of the theories posted to this very forum have been more entertaining and thought provoking than the actual storylines we ended up with. Oh wells.

I remember in the old days that we were making theories over Aveline that she might be Eve and that's why she came to Blag Flag... What a dream

cawatrooper9
10-04-2016, 03:31 PM

It really did. Desmond's story really seemed to be going somewhere, and after spending so much time with Ezio and Altair and then saying goodbye to them, he seemed to be the only protagonist left.

I mean, I liked Connor, but maybe the reason he was so poorly received is because he was basically the third wheel in the relation between Desmond and the player.

I-Like-Pie45
10-04-2016, 04:35 PM
We'll probably see Juno do something one of these days... oh wait.

We'll see Arno boink up Elise and the game will end with her watching him get guillotined, oh wait.

This Subject 16 rambling stuff is probably leading somewhere... oh wait Subject 16 is just some dudebro ghost and now hes dead ghost um oh wait I guess they gave Desmond a son in ACS so I guess um some of it kinda did.

That Satellite launch seems really important, I bet the Assassins are really going to focus on stopping it in the next games... oh wait.

That Helix screen for ACU that just leaked with all those previous Assassins and Templars plus some new ones probably won't amount to just window dressing in the final game. Oh wait.

Daniel Cross seems like the perfect foil for Desmond, they'll probably have a neat one-on-one duel in AC3... oh wait.

joshoolhorst
10-04-2016, 06:33 PM

We'll see Arno boink up Elise and the game will end with her watching him get guillotined, oh wait.

This Subject 16 rambling stuff is probably leading somewhere... oh wait Subject 16 is just some dudebro ghost and now hes dead ghost um oh wait I guess they gave Desmond a son in ACS so I guess um some of it kinda did.

That Satellite launch seems really important, I bet the Assassins are really going to focus on stopping it in the next games... oh wait.

That Helix screen for ACU that just leaked with all those previous Assassins and Templars plus some new ones probably won't amount to just window dressing in the final game. Oh wait.

Daniel Cross seems like the perfect foil for Desmond, they'll probably have a neat one-on-one duel in AC3... oh wait.

What most people in Africa died I wonder what happens in the next few games... Ooh nothing, gets retconned I guess it was just a prank bro.

Lucy wonders about Leia neh nevermind... She is probably swimming through Venetie.

Shaun talks about symbols getting together in the end of Brotherhood which have to do with France and America UNITY! ooh wait nevermind.

OMG Lucy died and Desmond doesn't even bother with Eve I hope they do something with that... 6 years later of teassing.

joshoolhorst
10-04-2016, 06:35 PM

Desmond: Yo 16 what's up with those videos?

Clay:.... Don't know don't ask

joshoolhorst
10-04-2016, 06:48 PM
That the Koh-i-Noor was gonna appear in Syndicate with Eve I remember theories on the forum here when I was lurking around

SixKeys
10-04-2016, 09:00 PM
It really did. Desmond's story really seemed to be going somewhere, and after spending so much time with Ezio and Altair and then saying goodbye to them, he seemed to be the only protagonist left.

I mean, I liked Connor, but maybe the reason he was so poorly received is because he was basically the third wheel in the relation between Desmond and the player.

This is a very good point. It did feel odd that we had this grand goodbye to Alta´r and Ezio but Connor's story just.....stopped. Maybe all three ancestors should have had their big sendoff in AC3 instead of wrapping up two of them in ACR. Some kind of monologue where before sacrificing himself Desmond reminisces about everything he's learned from three wise warriors and what made each of them special.

Namikaze_17
10-05-2016, 01:03 AM

Well there's Desmond's memos if you'd like to count those... the last one implies that Connor and his story did give him a sense of hope. To paraphrase, "I think spending all this time in Connorĺs memories has made me anxious. I mean his story is painful in so many ways. Still he never lost hope, even when his faith in others eroded. I can only believe that what we are doing is the right thing, that I can stop this disasterů "

It can also be argued that Connor also had an effect on Desmond's decision; only it isn't presented that well.

cawatrooper9
10-05-2016, 05:05 PM
Well there's Desmond's memos if you'd like to count those... the last one implies that Connor and his story did give him a sense of hope. To paraphrase, "I think spending all this time in Connor’s memories has made me anxious. I mean his story is painful in so many ways. Still he never lost hope, even when his faith in others eroded. I can only believe that what we are doing is the right thing, that I can stop this disaster… "

It can also be argued that Connor also had an effect on Desmond's decision; only it isn't presented that well.

Yeah, I think out of all the games, the MD in AC3 was probably the least connected to the past segments (at least, until Unity and Syndicate), both thematically and story-wise. I wouldn't mind having a little more to tie it together.

This is a very good point. It did feel odd that we had this grand goodbye to Alta´r and Ezio but Connor's story just.....stopped. Maybe all three ancestors should have had their big sendoff in AC3 instead of wrapping up two of them in ACR. Some kind of monologue where before sacrificing himself Desmond reminisces about everything he's learned from three wise warriors and what made each of them special.

That would've probably been better. Right now, there are so many weird ways to categorize the early series. The Ezio Trilogy (AC2-ACR). The Desmond Saga (AC1-AC3). Having Ezio and Altair close out in ACR makes its own saga as well (AC1-ACR). They were so closely related to Desmond, I would have much preferred what you suggest.

Farlander1991
10-05-2016, 07:03 PM
The AC2-ACR period seems like a very weird time when franchise was becoming huge and yearly but there wasn't enough material and time to make games about a wide set of characters.

I mean, there's AC1 which has a character arc for Altair and past part ends abruptly and everyone was fine. Then we get to AC2 which has a character arc for Ezio and past part ends abruptly and everyone was fine.

Then, as AC3 with another new character stars developing, we get a set of DLCs for AC2 that has full-grown into a stand-alone game, but past part still ends pretty abruptly and people were fine with it.

But then, suddenly, ACR is made out of the blue. I mean, you can make it about different characters, but is creating new characters for an open-world game made in less than 10-11 months a wise decision? So it became this grand sendoff of existing characters. Now it doesn't end abruptly. Now there's a resolution. Not to mention this is the year the Secret Crusade book was released, chronicling Altair's life just like Ezio's was chronicled over the course of three games.

Now the way AC1, AC2 and even ACB deals with ending character arcs is not fine, people have tasted the 'forbidden fruit', so to speak. Now they want full character chronicles with full sendoffs. And AC3 the game does it in the same vein as AC1 and AC2 did, but now it's not enough, now different treatment is needed. At least when it comes to a number of hardcore fans. I think the general populace is still fine with the traditional style of just leaving the characters after the arc explored in the game has ended.

SixKeys
10-05-2016, 08:00 PM
ACR would have worked better if AC3 was solely about Desmond in the modern day. He would have said his goodbyes to his ancestors and now it was time to prove himself worthy of their legacy. But then we get a third ancestor, essentially suggesting that Desmond isn't done learning yet, he's not quite ready to become a master assassin after all. It basically eats at Desmond's credibility as he has to dive into the Animus and literally become a kid again (by starting in Connor's childhood), suggesting he still has a lot of growth to do. But then he keeps getting up in the middle of the game to do stuff that proves he's already a master assassin, like infiltrating Abstergo. Then he goes back to being Connor who's volatile and na´ve, then he goes back to being Desmond who's insecure with his daddy issues, then he goes back to Connor who's a stoic warrior......It messes with our perception of both characters. At times Desmond feels more grown-up than Connor and at other times vice versa.

AC2, in comparison, has a very neat structure: even though we've already been introduced to Desmond in AC1, he's only been locked up in one room so far so when we escape Abstergo, we feel vulnerable and helpless, like Ezio as a baby. As Desmond learns to deal with his - at times overbearing - new comrades, Ezio is taking his first steps as a hotheaded teenage vigilante. When Desmond is dealing with his own budding feelings of romance, he flashes back to Alta´r consummating his love with Maria. When Ezio triumphs over Rodrigo and proves he has matured emotionally, Desmond proves he has learned new skills by defeating Vidic's henchmen at the hideout. The game gives us direct parallels between our main heroes, they mature in sync with each other. In comparison, AC3 isn't satisfying in the same way because Desmond and Connor feel out of sync.

ajl992015
10-06-2016, 06:45 PM
I thought that subject 16 would appear at the end of AC3 where he had actually been hiding in Desmond's subconscious and just appears to Desmond but only Desmond can see him. When I saw Desmond die at the end I half expected him to get up but it was clay controlling the body.

joshoolhorst
10-06-2016, 07:14 PM
ACR would have worked better if AC3 was solely about Desmond in the modern day. He would have said his goodbyes to his ancestors and now it was time to prove himself worthy of their legacy. But then we get a third ancestor, essentially suggesting that Desmond isn't done learning yet, he's not quite ready to become a master assassin after all. It basically eats at Desmond's credibility as he has to dive into the Animus and literally become a kid again (by starting in Connor's childhood), suggesting he still has a lot of growth to do. But then he keeps getting up in the middle of the game to do stuff that proves he's already a master assassin, like infiltrating Abstergo. Then he goes back to being Connor who's volatile and na´ve, then he goes back to being Desmond who's insecure with his daddy issues, then he goes back to Connor who's a stoic warrior......It messes with our perception of both characters. At times Desmond feels more grown-up than Connor and at other times vice versa.

AC2, in comparison, has a very neat structure: even though we've already been introduced to Desmond in AC1, he's only been locked up in one room so far so when we escape Abstergo, we feel vulnerable and helpless, like Ezio as a baby. As Desmond learns to deal with his - at times overbearing - new comrades, Ezio is taking his first steps as a hotheaded teenage vigilante. When Desmond is dealing with his own budding feelings of romance, he flashes back to Alta´r consummating his love with Maria. When Ezio triumphs over Rodrigo and proves he has matured emotionally, Desmond proves he has learned new skills by defeating Vidic's henchmen at the hideout. The game gives us direct parallels between our main heroes, they mature in sync with each other. In comparison, AC3 isn't satisfying in the same way because Desmond and Connor feel out of sync.

That kinda annoyed me in AC3, Connor and Desmond didn't feel connected and Desmond fighting like Connor was a bad idea in my honest opinion. He should fight like Ezio/Altair or switch between the three

cawatrooper9
10-06-2016, 08:02 PM
That kinda annoyed me in AC3, Connor and Desmond didn't feel connected and Desmond fighting like Connor was a bad idea in my honest opinion. He should fight like Ezio/Altair or switch between the three

Yeah, up until that point I hadn't minded the reusing of assets- I figured Desmond fought like Ezio because he was training as Ezio- it made sense. After all, the whole plot of AC2 was heavily centered around trying to train Desmond as an Assassin.

To scrap that and make him basically a reskinned Connor almost invalidated everything they'd done so far.

joshoolhorst
10-07-2016, 07:10 PM
Yeah, up until that point I hadn't minded the reusing of assets- I figured Desmond fought like Ezio because he was training as Ezio- it made sense. After all, the whole plot of AC2 was heavily centered around trying to train Desmond as an Assassin.

To scrap that and make him basically a reskinned Connor almost invalidated everything they'd done so far.

It makes all AC games with Desmond freaking pointless, we should've walked towards the pedestal where Minerva placed a booby trap on. Juno screams out while Minerva does everything in her hand to stop Desmond. Desmond must use all his skills from his ancestors and the surrounding changes in Auditore Villa, the Homestead Manor, Connors village, Masyaf and more... And at the end kill her... That's it! Keep the same ending and only let Minerva talk about Junos plan but Desmonds still keeps his decision.... This is what I would've done if we where going that way.
Sorry for English