PDA

View Full Version : The worst case of warping I have ever seen...lol

SodBuster43
02-04-2004, 04:09 AM
This morning on greatergreen the sky was full of warping planes on the pacific island map.

I was on the tail of a Frank in my P-40 and it kept warping out of my gunsights with little micro bursts every time I went to squeeze the trigger it seems. All the sudden this plane stops dead and ACTUALLY GOES BACKWARDS for a bit. Then jumps way forward off on a weird angle.

Two of us finally shot it down as it leveled off but I had to empty my guns into it. It just disintegrated. The weird thing is I saw no score for this kill for either myself or my teammate. Also, as it was being hit by two P-40's unloading into it there were no chunks flying off.

Many other planes were warping badly. Must be the time of day I joined. A lot of players from Russian Federation and Asia were on. I had the best ping out of 25 or so players. My ping was 85 give or take.

Anyone else have a really bad warping scenario?

SodBuster43
02-04-2004, 04:09 AM
This morning on greatergreen the sky was full of warping planes on the pacific island map.

I was on the tail of a Frank in my P-40 and it kept warping out of my gunsights with little micro bursts every time I went to squeeze the trigger it seems. All the sudden this plane stops dead and ACTUALLY GOES BACKWARDS for a bit. Then jumps way forward off on a weird angle.

Two of us finally shot it down as it leveled off but I had to empty my guns into it. It just disintegrated. The weird thing is I saw no score for this kill for either myself or my teammate. Also, as it was being hit by two P-40's unloading into it there were no chunks flying off.

Many other planes were warping badly. Must be the time of day I joined. A lot of players from Russian Federation and Asia were on. I had the best ping out of 25 or so players. My ping was 85 give or take.

Anyone else have a really bad warping scenario?

jojoshooter
02-04-2004, 05:15 AM
Could that MyDoom virus have something to do with it ?
I noticed delays on almost any site or forum i visited in the last 24 hrs.

pacettid
02-04-2004, 05:33 AM
I have done a great deal of experimentation on the cause of this "warping", and my opinion is 90 percent of it is caused by the use of custom skins.

Even if you have "skin downloads" turned off, other people uploading skins to the server causes a great deal of lag. The more people on the server uploading skins the worse it gets.

SodBuster43
02-04-2004, 05:55 AM
I will say that normally the greatergreen server is pretty much warp free. This was just an extreme case for some reason.

yarbles67
02-04-2004, 05:59 AM
I agree with Sod. GG is a sweet server in terms of performance. It's rare I go up against Tie Fighters.

georgeo76
02-04-2004, 10:06 AM
part of the problem is the pacific map. even after the patch, the pacific trees are a huge blow to FPS.

http://webpages.charter.net/Stick_Fiend/images/buck2.gif
"I don't think it's quite fair to condemn a whole program because of a single slip-up. "
Fiend's Wings (http://webpages.charter.net/Stick_Fiend)

SKULLS Virga
02-04-2004, 10:56 AM
Earlier this week I saw a bad case of warping on GG's server by an aircraft that I was following. He jumped about 75 feet forward in an instant. The 'Cheating has been detected...' notice came up and then that was the end of it. Not sure if it was hack or hardware. I didn't notice any lag, pause or stutter for my machine. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/blink.gif

Old_Canuck
02-04-2004, 11:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Virga:
Earlier this week I saw a bad case of warping on GG's server by an aircraft that I was following. He jumped about 75 feet forward in an instant. The 'Cheating has been detected...' notice came up and then that was the end of it. Not sure if it was hack or hardware. I didn't notice any lag, pause or stutter for my machine. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/blink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My brother in law told me on comms yesterday that he was following a Mig jumping "all over the place." It was on Virtual Pilots. Got a track of it but no time to view it yet.

OC

"You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."