PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for BoB - lights and shadows

Flak99
01-03-2004, 10:58 AM
Some ideas for BoB:

1) Implement the casting of shadows on the plane as seen in LOMAC - in my opinion these improve the graphics more than simply higher resolution textures or more polys (although that'd be nice too!). Maybe have shadows cast inside the cockpit? I'm told the movement of shadows around the cockpit is very noticable when flying...

2) Sun glinting from planes a long way in the distance. I gather that aircraft could sometimes be spotted from a great distance if they caught the sun in a certain way.

3) Sun glinting from ground objects - when I've flown as a passenger over towns/cities in real life I've noticed that you'll see sun reflecting from windows, cars and other shiny things in towns - much the same as the "Perfect" mode water/sunlight reflections.

Dunno about the feasibility of the last one - depends how detailed the towns will be in BoB...

Flak99
01-03-2004, 10:58 AM
Some ideas for BoB:

1) Implement the casting of shadows on the plane as seen in LOMAC - in my opinion these improve the graphics more than simply higher resolution textures or more polys (although that'd be nice too!). Maybe have shadows cast inside the cockpit? I'm told the movement of shadows around the cockpit is very noticable when flying...

2) Sun glinting from planes a long way in the distance. I gather that aircraft could sometimes be spotted from a great distance if they caught the sun in a certain way.

3) Sun glinting from ground objects - when I've flown as a passenger over towns/cities in real life I've noticed that you'll see sun reflecting from windows, cars and other shiny things in towns - much the same as the "Perfect" mode water/sunlight reflections.

Dunno about the feasibility of the last one - depends how detailed the towns will be in BoB...

rick_475
01-03-2004, 11:09 AM
Shadows aren't a good idea, as an experienced gamer I have always noticed a big drop of FPS when Shadows are ON. You can notice that in action games, racing games and sports games like Madden 2004.

Flak99
01-03-2004, 11:15 AM
Rick_475, I take your point about shadows, but they look great in LOMAC which runs fine on my machine (medium spec but with 9800 pro). I think its a safe bet to say that BoB will require a high spec machine to run smoothly with all graphics on high settings. But it isn't going to be on sale for another year so I think it should try and raise the bar across the board - graphics, flight/damage models and gameplay innovations.

rick_475
01-03-2004, 11:29 AM
If they decide to improve buildings, forest and terrain in BOB, it's going to be hard on any machine. Add shadows with that and everybody will complain.

Is there an option in IL2 to turn off the shadows? There's nothing about it in the video options, almost all the games I have played has this option : Shadows ON/OFF.

LeadSpitter_
01-03-2004, 01:56 PM
I would like to see vechile headlights, Lamps laterns street lights in london, and building windows light up like msfs2004.

http://www.geocities.com/leadspittersig/LSIG.txt
VIEW MY PAINTSCHEMES HERE (http://www.il2skins.com/?planeidfilter=all&planefamilyfilter=all&screenshotfilter=allskins&countryidfilter=all&authoridfilter=%3ALeadspitter%3A&historicalidfilter=all&Submit=+++Apply+filters++&action=list&ts=1072257400)

Flakwalker
01-03-2004, 02:01 PM
I also agree on point 2 and 3

Flak99
01-03-2004, 03:51 PM
Leadspitter - I think the Home Guard would have a few things to say about that!! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

As far as I know British cities were under a strict night time blackout during the war, and vehicles had slitted covers over their headlights. I doubt you'd see much light whilst flying over. I could be wrong, but thats what I seem to remember from history lessons at school....

rick_475
01-03-2004, 04:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flak99:
Leadspitter - I think the Home Guard would have a few things to say about that!! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

As far as I know British cities were under a strict night time blackout during the war, and vehicles had slitted covers over their headlights. I doubt you'd see much light whilst flying over. I could be wrong, but thats what I seem to remember from history lessons at school....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right, cities were under a blackout during the Battle of Britain

Lixma
01-03-2004, 06:59 PM
I'd like to see shadows in the cockpit. Cast by the frames onto the instrument panel etc as you roll around. FPS killer ? Probably, but give us the option. I'll bet very few of us can run in perfect mode right now but nobody's complaining it's there.

VW-IceFire
01-03-2004, 07:12 PM
Just because its going to be hitting the FPS on the mid level machines right now doesn't mean its going to kill the high level machines when BoB comes out. Infact there are movements to make sure that shadowing is done hardware side instead of software side so that there isn't the performance loss associated right now. If you have the speed - why not turn on self shadowing.

I'm sure this and many other visual features will be an option in the future.

- IceFire
http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/spit-sig.jpg

CARBONFREEZE
01-05-2004, 02:17 PM
I agree on all 3

Russian aircraft require skill to fly.
German aircraft require ten times that skill, and one hundred times the patience!

WUAF_CO_CRBNFRZ on HyperLobby