PDA

View Full Version : screen flickering

xtruckers10
11-29-2003, 09:08 AM
The Game runs fine but my screen is flickering at times..is there a solution for this?

xtruckers10
11-29-2003, 09:08 AM
The Game runs fine but my screen is flickering at times..is there a solution for this?

Whitch2
11-29-2003, 09:17 AM
I'm going to move this thread to Technical Advice. You'll should get the help you need there. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

lewisch2
11-29-2003, 10:41 AM
If it happens exactly once per minute, I have the same problem. It happens when that little clock on your windows taskbar updates. I figured it was happening to me because I run two monitors and I keep my taskbar on the secondary monitor. I'm sure if I disabled the clock, the problem would stop but I've learned to tune it out so well that I don't even notice it anymore.

xtruckers10
11-29-2003, 06:55 PM
I don't think its the clock, my screen flickers quite a bit and very often, still have not seen any response from tech support, or any others that have the sane problem, hope to see a fix soon..

Fyrehawk
11-29-2003, 08:19 PM
Just out of curiosity, what is your screen refresh rate set to?

Right click on desktop, choose properties,
Settings->Advanced->monitor

"There is a thin line between insanity and genius. I have erased this line".
--Oscar Levant

xtruckers10
11-30-2003, 11:13 AM
my refresh rate was at 60, i have changed it to default, video card is g-force 5200 128 meg, still some flickering, but not as bad, hope there is another way around this, any suggestions would help

Fyrehawk
11-30-2003, 11:17 AM
Try setting the refresh rate to 72 or 75, tell me if you still have flickering.

--Oscar Levant

xtruckers10
11-30-2003, 07:28 PM
hi again, screen still flickers at 75, tried to adjust it at 72 as well, but to no success.. back to default and somewhat better, but sure would like it gone al together.. sure do thank you for all you help, please keep suggestions coming..

maztec
11-30-2003, 07:30 PM
what type of monitor do you have?

what do you mean by flickers?

When?

Where?

How much ram does your system have?

xtruckers10
11-30-2003, 07:39 PM
i have 356 megs of ram, video card is g-force 5200 128meg, monitor is lg 775n 17 inch.. procssor speed is 1.3 g ..hope you can help.. screen flickers when we go to and age, by this i mean the monitor flickeres from dark to very bright at times, making scenes difficult to see, this does not always happen, seems to be worse when standing still

maztec
11-30-2003, 11:25 PM
I'd see if this may be do to you accidently shake the table... Loose cord anyone?

Uhmmm, this seems odd. SO basically it happens everywhere. Getting dark and getting light. You've tried setting up your brightness and so on?

I'm not at all familiar with any bug along this line..

Not sure what to tell you.

xtruckers10
12-04-2003, 04:41 PM
yes tried to adjust monitor, it does get a little better, but but still goes very bright, very quick, and then back to normal. its not bad enough that we cannot play but very annoying.. guess we will live with it.. i will try to play on my laptop with the monitor plugged into it and see what happens.. maybe well get lucky..

maztec
12-04-2003, 05:17 PM
good luck.. my only other thoguht is set brightness in game gamma/etc all the way up or down and see what happens.

adegraff
12-04-2003, 05:31 PM
Hate to add this but...ever since I downloaded the update, my single player game has gone down the tubes. I've done everything suggested in the FAQ - DXDiag, lowered hardward acceleration, defragged, and the game still crashes to desktop, portions of the screen flicker on/off, cursor and avatar run jaggedly, etc. I've had to restart 4 times - a bummer when the game won't save where I was. This is frustrating because the game worked wonderfully when first installed. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the game. Still not working properly.

To see if I could work around the graphics problem, I installed latest updated drivers from ATI for my Radeon 9000 Pro (and now I get a msg that says: "This version of Direct OS Xtra can only work in the authority environment. Please replace the Xtra with the run-time version." meaning what ? So, it seems things are getting worse, not better. Any suggestions. I live in Pullman and would be happy to bring my rig to Spokane for you guys to examine if you think that would work. Aardo (aka. adegraff) Txs...

Fyrehawk
12-04-2003, 08:07 PM
This screen flickering only happens in Uru, correct?

--Oscar Levant

maztec
12-04-2003, 10:29 PM
adegraff, if uninstalling and reinstalling and not reupdating does not fix the issue, then you've most likely accidently changed something on your system -- OR your save file has gone bad..

Try creating a new character?

xtruckers10
12-05-2003, 01:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fyrehawk:
This screen flickering only happens in Uru, correct?

--Oscar Levant<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
yes only in the game itself, seems like a camera going off with a flash, every 2-3 seconds

adegraff
12-05-2003, 02:12 PM
Yep - Flickering only happens when I run the single player. As noted, nothing/nothing seems to keep this from happening. By the way, the "Save" hasn't worked since the second crash. (Crashes caused my entire system to reboot, so I haven't been just crashing back to the desktop). As noted, this game was fine until I downloaded the Update. Then things went haywire. At this point in time, I can't get into the game at all. So, I'm going to try to uninstall and reinstall and see if this will fix whatever is happening. I am concerned that the software has gotten corrupted. All my other systems seem to work fine. Will advise. Adegraff

xtruckers10
12-05-2003, 05:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by adegraff:
Yep - Flickering only happens when I run the single player. As noted, nothing/nothing seems to keep this from happening. By the way, the "Save" hasn't worked since the second crash. (Crashes caused my entire system to reboot, so I haven't been just crashing back to the desktop). As noted, this game was fine until I downloaded the Update. Then things went haywire. At this point in time, I can't get into the game at all. So, I'm going to try to uninstall and reinstall and see if this will fix whatever is happening. I am concerned that the software has gotten corrupted. All my other systems seem to work fine. Will advise. Adegraff<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

try deleting the folder uru look for it and if your comfortable with using the registry, go and delete all keys for uru then re-install the game .. that may solve your problem..

adegraff
12-06-2003, 02:11 PM
Txs. I did just that. It does work - at least so far so good. One item - I did NOT download the update since it appeared to be the cause of my original problem. I don't know what the conflict is with my rig, but I'll only download it after I get way past where my game originally crashed. I also note that while the ATI Radeon 9000 Pro card seems to work well, I am considering replacing it with one of their newer cards when they come out with their new engine in Feb. because I sense that this game will just demand more power to run as smoothly as it should. Hopefully, using the new ATI engine should also make the game flickering issue moot. At least I hope so. I'll advise. Again, many txs for your advice.

xtruckers10
12-06-2003, 06:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by adegraff:
Txs. I did just that. It does work - at least so far so good. One item - I did NOT download the update since it appeared to be the cause of my original problem. I don't know what the conflict is with my rig, but I'll only download it after I get way past where my game originally crashed. I also note that while the ATI Radeon 9000 Pro card seems to work well, I am considering replacing it with one of their newer cards when they come out with their new engine in Feb. because I sense that this game will just demand more power to run as smoothly as it should. Hopefully, using the new ATI engine should also make the game flickering issue moot. At least I hope so. I'll advise. Again, many txs for your advice.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad it worked, I now have the game workng just great, after adjusting the monitor a bit and re-configuring the g-force card.. so far so good and we really played to-day.. have fun.. best regards Brian..

xtruckers10
12-06-2003, 06:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maztec:
good luck.. my only other thoguht is set brightness in game gamma/etc all the way up or down and see what happens.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Flickering has been fixed, re-conffigured my video card and monitor by first un-installing both.. then having windows find new hardware, and fine tuning the brighness on "the g-force card" and also disabled anti-virus everything worked!! Great Game and thanks for all your help, even though we didn"t shake the table!! Best Regards and hve a grt X-MAS