PDA

View Full Version : Do Factions Matter?

djb204
09-29-2016, 04:48 PM
In the alpha, teammates and enemies were mixed with both sides compiled of The Chosen, The Warborn, and The Legions. What's the point of choosing a faction?

Will online modes like Dominion Mode even have faction battles? or will it always be a messy mix?

The CGI trailers advertised faction battles. We see the Warborn standing together, the Chosen standing together, and the Legions standing together, and it looks cool. But online matches currently have zero focus on factions.

Will the multiplayer in the full game focus on factions? or will we get more of the same?

Dienekes12
09-29-2016, 04:52 PM
I believe in the Alpha there was a closed off game mode called "Faction War" or something similar, which would imply that the factions will be important to them. And the Devs have said that there will be more mode available on release.

From our current look at the Alpha though, no, factions really do not have any purpose.

coma987
09-29-2016, 04:59 PM
Probably used for something like faction wars or just out of the devs interests. Right now there is no point.

The matches should not be highly focused on factions as all characters are different, and why shouldn't I be able to play with my samurai friend as a knight.

djb204
09-29-2016, 05:22 PM
Probably used for something like faction wars or just out of the devs interests. Right now there is no point.

The matches should not be highly focused on factions as all characters are different, and why shouldn't I be able to play with my samurai friend as a knight.

Yup, they should allow the Cartel to fight along side the Ghosts in Wildlands too. Also let the Terrorists fight along side the SEALs in Rainbow Six lol. Jk.

waraidako
10-01-2016, 12:59 AM
Yes. Factions matter, the mixed dominion mode is the compromised version. We need a real one that's faction locked. You obviously want to fight alongside your brothers and sisters, not the enemy.

Dez_troi_aR
10-02-2016, 03:08 PM
Yes. Factions matter, the mixed dominion mode is the compromised version. We need a real one that's faction locked. You obviously want to fight alongside your brothers and sisters, not the enemy.
So what you say is " they should matter". Because in reality (of the game ) I can't see that that is the case. I'm with you, i want to see more focus on the faction aspect, but at the moment it could just be 12 warriors who happen to be viking, samurai or knight and smash each others heads in. That is still cool and maybe more practical game-design-wise but not as cool imo.

I hope there will be a faction mode or events or whatever to promote that dimension of for honor.

Killerbrian26
10-02-2016, 08:14 PM
I think they chose to go along this path when they decided on making the factions asymmetrical. Personally, I'm fine with it, but I can see where you guys come from. It can really break that immersion of Knights vs. Vikings vs. Samurai that the devs kept pushing. It could make the campaign feel meaningless it terms of lore into the multiplayer. However, I don't think factions will be meaningless in the full game. I think that there will be some system in place to allow a person to be proud to be a Knight or a Viking or a Samurai. Something that just speaks to your dedication in honor of your faction.

dreadwolf_mkIV
10-02-2016, 09:00 PM
Yup, they should allow the Cartel to fight along side the Ghosts in Wildlands too. Also let the Terrorists fight along side the SEALs in Rainbow Six lol. Jk.

Actually, that's quite common in Mutliplayer games. Just look at World of Tanks/Warships. Or War Thunder. Or Overwatch. Even WoW has recently intruduced the "mercenary mode" which allows players to fight for the other faction in (unrated) pvp.

Kolat79
10-03-2016, 10:40 PM
Greetings all,

I'd like to see the option for both Faction specific combats, and wild card/free for all. As I think that would add a lot of theme (in the case of Faction locking), and advanced strategy/combinations with a free for all. I really don't see a reason to not to do both, and even have an overall Faction tracking going on at the same time.

Helnekromancer
10-04-2016, 06:16 PM
It reminds me of the Faction Wars in MKX, whomever has the most points at the end of the week unlock faction gear and what not, could be a great idea, so we can really see who is the strongest. Or double xp or steel for that faction, idk but I'm looking forward to it.

waraidako
10-04-2016, 09:21 PM
So what you say is " they should matter". Because in reality (of the game ) I can't see that that is the case. I'm with you, i want to see more focus on the faction aspect, but at the moment it could just be 12 warriors who happen to be viking, samurai or knight and smash each others heads in. That is still cool and maybe more practical game-design-wise but not as cool imo.

I hope there will be a faction mode or events or whatever to promote that dimension of for honor.

As cool? It's way cooler. Being a viking, and fighting alongside your viking brethren against some tin cans is a badass thing. It creates a healthy rivalry between the factions and makes you invested in whichever one your choose to be a part of. You are asked by the game which warrior your are, and then you're put on one side with all of those who chose the same as you, your allies, your brothers and sisters, and you fight those who chose differently.

That makes you feel like you belong to a group. You're part of something bigger. The way things were in the alpha, you're still just alone. There's no sense of community with other vikings, or knights, or samurai, depending on which you picked. It's just you, alone, against random enemies. No camraderie. Nothing. It's a wasted opportunity.

It caters too much to people who have no sense of compromise. People who no matter what, have to be their favourite thing. Who can't under any circumstances yield and say to their friends "okay, we play knights for a while, because you want to, and then we play vikings."

It's not good to reward inflexible people like that. They need to be more willing to compromise.

THAMONK5
10-04-2016, 10:10 PM
I like being able to be a knight while my friend enjoys being a viking. And i think ^^^^ that is a great idea to add the score up of each faction like in mkx then the winning faction at the end of the week get some free gear or whatever good thinking.

djb204
02-03-2017, 03:05 AM
So thats it? There is no in-game mode that we (the players) can take part in where factions matter? The only REAL Faction War that is going on is within global statistics? Sad.

Sken_Glyph_
02-03-2017, 03:37 AM
So thats it? There is no in-game mode that we (the players) can take part in where factions matter? The only REAL Faction War that is going on is within global statistics? Sad.

Holy thread res, Batman!

Stuff in this thread is super out of date (4 months or so). As far as we know, it's just the metagame. Metagame might come with faction bonuses for XP, Steel, etc, but we really don't know what they have planned for it beyond that.

djb204
02-03-2017, 04:32 AM
Holy thread res, Batman!

Stuff in this thread is super out of date (4 months or so). As far as we know, it's just the metagame. Metagame might come with faction bonuses for XP, Steel, etc, but we really don't know what they have planned for it beyond that.

lol Yea, I resurrected a thread I started because my original question wasn't answered. Faction Wars were mentioned back then, but what it actually ended up being still didn't give "playing as a faction" any meaning. We choose a faction, and we play as anybody, but what about actually fighting along side other members of your faction? Vikings vs Knights, or what ever else.

Scaevus
02-03-2017, 09:37 AM
there is no f..ing point at all, just take it for granted. Unfortunately faction war is only a marketing ploy.

gruvy_qc
02-03-2017, 01:44 PM
Here are my thoughts on that topic based on the beta. I am happy they didn't lock factions, in a way, cause you choose your faction before even playing the tutorial.

If there was some faction locking, wouldn't that mean that you could only play classes for that faction forever? That would be kind of dumb, as it would lock user out of 2/3 of the classes. I think that's why the game is as it currently is.

waraidako
02-03-2017, 03:10 PM
Here are my thoughts on that topic based on the beta. I am happy they didn't lock factions, in a way, cause you choose your faction before even playing the tutorial.

If there was some faction locking, wouldn't that mean that you could only play classes for that faction forever? That would be kind of dumb, as it would lock user out of 2/3 of the classes. I think that's why the game is as it currently is.

No one is suggesting locking so you can only play the heroes of the faction you belong to. We're suggesting that in game modes like Dominion, instead of 4 randoms vs 4 randoms, it's always faction vs faction. So, say you're pledged to the Knights, but just for fun you're playing a Viking character like the Berserker. You'll be put on a team of all Vikings, facing a team of all Knights/Samurai.

That way, Vikings never fight against other Vikings in Dominion. They always fight with other Vikings against one of the other factions. It fits better with the faction war too.

gruvy_qc
02-03-2017, 03:36 PM
No one is suggesting locking so you can only play the heroes of the faction you belong to. We're suggesting that in game modes like Dominion, instead of 4 randoms vs 4 randoms, it's always faction vs faction. So, say you're pledged to the Knights, but just for fun you're playing a Viking character like the Berserker. You'll be put on a team of all Vikings, facing a team of all Knights/Samurai.

That way, Vikings never fight against other Vikings in Dominion. They always fight with other Vikings against one of the other factions. It fits better with the faction war too.

Ah ok. But how the game would know which faction you want to play as? Select it when you go in Multiplayer? Team composition based on the player who select his class first? And what if you feel like changing faction from match to match?

I'm just playing the Devils advocate, if you will. I agree that having a single faction per team would be really nice and would probably create a nice competition/feeling of camaraderie with your teammates and all. I just think it would be a bit of a hassle to implement it. Or maybe add a "one faction per team" mode.

PS: sorry for my English, it is not my main language.

S8Canadian
02-03-2017, 03:49 PM
It would be nice to have a few game modes where factions are locked. Test them out and see how popular they are. I would play them most of the time to be honest. I bet you people who didn't choose samurai faction would quickly start being a little more critical of those heroes too.. right now I feel at least some are simply defending them because they like the way they play and the power. I have to admit once I started playing them, I couldn't help but feel they were way simpler, and way better then knights and Vikings as far as power.

waraidako
02-03-2017, 05:58 PM
Ah ok. But how the game would know which faction you want to play as? Select it when you go in Multiplayer? Team composition based on the player who select his class first? And what if you feel like changing faction from match to match?

I'm just playing the Devils advocate, if you will. I agree that having a single faction per team would be really nice and would probably create a nice competition/feeling of camaraderie with your teammates and all. I just think it would be a bit of a hassle to implement it. Or maybe add a "one faction per team" mode.

PS: sorry for my English, it is not my main language.

Yeah, pretty much. Pick your character beforehand and then queue up. If you want to switch you just quit out and pick a new one.

gruvy_qc
02-03-2017, 06:46 PM
Yeah, I guess that could work. There is some talks in another thread about faction-locked 4v4v4 (or 8v8v8, though that's a bit much). I think that could be very nice too

Freako_0
02-03-2017, 08:03 PM
As much as I would love to see faction specific heroes, I can understand the balancing nightmare that would happen.

My recommendation would be to add a bonus to faction specific heroes: More resources, better chance for drops, more experience, etc. It would encourage players to play battleborn heroes when Viking, Tin-cans when playing knights, etc.

I also think that faction is simply a choice now and has no real impact. You will find players going with the 'winning' faction if there is no incentive to stay true to each faction's heroes. IMO of course.

Icepick_Trotsky
02-03-2017, 08:17 PM
As much as I'd like to see some serious faction system and immersive faction vs faction battles I honestly don't know how could it be done. The only one I can think of is extra game mode. However making too many game modes may have very bad results.