PDA

View Full Version : OkÚ can somebody explain this little Animus detail

joshoolhorst
09-28-2016, 07:21 PM
So I'm getting comfused sometimes with the Animus because you relive the memories of your ancestor. But according Lucy the reason why Altair drowned is because a glitch in the Animus which is... Kinda weird if you ask me because if the ancestor needs to swim in a recent memory they be doomed.
Now we go to the 100% completion, how is that possible WE CAN'T CHANGE TIME AND SPACE?

Locopells
09-28-2016, 08:02 PM
The first version of the Animus couldn't render swimming, hence the glitch. All the Animus/Helix versions since have been able to do so - and yeah if they'd tried to access the memories of the recent ancestors on the first Animus, they would've been doomed...

As for 100% completion, that's the whole point - the memory is a computer rendering, not an actual change to the historical event it depicts. That why doing it the exact way the ancestor did it 'syncs' the memory better.

http://i.imgur.com/8kKFfrZ.jpg (https://support.ubi.com)
Thanks to strigoi1958 for the sig!

joshoolhorst
09-28-2016, 08:43 PM
The first version of the Animus couldn't render swimming, hence the glitch. All the Animus/Helix versions since have been able to do so - and yeah if they'd tried to access the memories of the recent ancestors on the first Animus, they would've been doomed...

As for 100% completion, that's the whole point - the memory is a computer rendering, not an actual change to the historical event it depicts. That why doing it the exact way the ancestor did it 'syncs' the memory better.

http://i.imgur.com/8kKFfrZ.jpg (https://support.ubi.com)
Thanks to strigoi1958 for the sig!

So in the movie they would be 100% completion er else viewers be pissed:)

cawatrooper9
09-28-2016, 08:45 PM
Right, the term "sync" refers to synchronization, or how closely our playthrough follows the actual life of the protagonist. That's why, for instance, as Ezio we can murder a civilian to use as a distraction. It's not something Ezio would usually do (*cough cough Cappadocia*) so it hurts our sync. Do it too many times and the system simply fails to even recognize it as within the scope of possibility of the character, causing full desynchronization.

Regarding the swimming thing, I guess I always just assumed Altair couldn't swim because that wasn't something people in his desert area saw as a particularly useful skill. So, if he couldn't swim, neither could we. But I could be wrong.

So in the movie they would be 100% completion er else viewers be pissed:)
Maybe. Maybe not?

I think it might be cool to see Fassbender put a little bit of his own spin on Aguilar- particularly if Fassbender is going to stick around in the series, and Aguilar isn't.

SixKeys
09-28-2016, 10:02 PM
So I'm getting comfused sometimes with the Animus because you relive the memories of your ancestor. But according Lucy the reason why Altair drowned is because a glitch in the Animus which is... Kinda weird if you ask me because if the ancestor needs to swim in a recent memory they be doomed.
Now we go to the 100% completion, how is that possible WE CAN'T CHANGE TIME AND SPACE?

Full synchronization means the ancestor doesn't need to do anything if they physically cannot, because they obviously didn't do it. So since we don't have the ability to swim in AC1, it's because Alta´r never swam in the memories we're attempting to synchronize with. Falling in the water and dying in AC1 is the Animus telling Desmond "Alta´r never dropped into water during this moment you're reliving", hence why you get desynchronized.

thing people in his desert area saw as a particularly useful skill. So, if he couldn't swim, neither could we. But I could be wrong.

It was actually retconned IIRC. The manual for AC1 said Alta´r never learned to swim, then the manual for AC2 called it a glitch in the Animus.

Ureh
09-28-2016, 10:47 PM
Gameplay-wise, swimming was removed because it was overpowered.

We had swimming for a while and decided not to go with that, because we felt like in some places it would cut and break the stealth element, because as soon as you can go underwater, you're pretty much like God. -AC1 artbook, pg 155, Patrice Desilets

Wouldn't it be cool if ACR had a little easter egg. There was some water under Masyaf, so it we can be like watching Altair's "ghost" swimming alongside Ezio and it would be the true revelation. "Oooooohh so he can swim!"