PDA

View Full Version : For Honor's story is absurd...

Angry Ari 1
09-22-2016, 02:19 AM
.....is what most professional reviewers say when addressing the alternate-history theme of For Honor. I am also sure that the majority of the community thinks along the same lines. Personally I don't see the issue: it's fantasy, for the most part, and how else are you supposed to introduce samurai, knights, and vikings in all out warfare?

Still, I gotta ask: if it were up to YOU, how would you make the For Honor story, the required theme being that eventually vikings, samurai, and knights start going at one another's throats? Is there a "smoother" way of bringing the three factions together in war? Or is it one of those things where you just say "F*ck it, samurai nodachi wielder vs viking axe thrower, GO!"

LastMoh1can
09-22-2016, 02:58 AM
.....is what most professional reviewers say when addressing the alternate-history theme of For Honor. I am also sure that the majority of the community thinks along the same lines. Personally I don't see the issue: it's fantasy, for the most part, and how else are you supposed to introduce samurai, knights, and vikings in all out warfare?

Still, I gotta ask: if it were up to YOU, how would you make the For Honor story, the required theme being that eventually vikings, samurai, and knights start going at one another's throats? Is there a "smoother" way of bringing the three factions together in war? Or is it one of those things where you just say "F*ck it, samurai nodachi wielder vs viking axe thrower, GO!"

In my other post, i had an idea of how to make Romans, Spartans and persians fight each other, being a prequel to the story, its kinda simple, it could work aswell with the ones in for honor.
Some prophet ( Apollyon Ancestors ) start telling everybody that the apocalypse is coming, and only one place on earth will be safe from all the destruction, but it cant shelter everyone. As you all know what an religion can do, it causes massive panic in all empires and with that, all the factions start battling each other to lead its people to safety, but in the end, they all die, and with them the warning of an apocalypse. That later would destroy the world in For Honor timeline.

Makes some sense right? If you find a flaw in that dont judge me yet, i got this idea out of my head while taking a dump yesterday xD

I even added some classes, and in case if you wanna see my post, here s the link:
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1497775-Idea-for-the-First-Expansion

Dienekes12
09-22-2016, 03:58 AM
Hmm, if I was rewriting the story to suit what I find interesting?

I wouldn't make everything awful being a part of some demon-armored villain figure. I would probably instead focus on just being in the middle of a warzone and dealing with how each faction are both perpetrators and victims of the war that has already begun.

At it's heart, vikings and knights having to deal with each other can be squeezed to make sense. The knights are the economically powerful faction who have an expansive empire, while the vikings are on the fringes of that empire, are of much lower economic power and so make ends meat by raiding them. Throw in some century old grudges where King Lothair captured and beheaded the great raider Uthrum or something just to get a bit of background and pathos to the characters.

The samurai faction being a forced migratory group, possibly running from something sinister back home could still work. Just that means they have a bunch of tensions with the two previous factions: They need their own land which is currently being held by the knights, but maybe it once was territory owned by the vikings and lost during the knights expansion a hundred years ago or something. The samurai would need to acquire land and defend themselves from the other two factions, forcing more conflict.

And speaking of characters, I wouldn't call the player character "The Raider" or "The Warden" which just seems lazy. If I had my way, each campaign (there would be one for each faction of course) would center around 4 main characters that are actually fleshed out characters and not just titles. Each of these characters could showcase a view on the war. For example, the Warden may be the king's personal bodyguard, giving a political view that they cannot stand by and let their lands be taken away. While maybe the Peacekeeper represents a more common person who just wants the violence to stop, maybe even sees the samurai as a potential ally against the raiders that no one thinks can be reasoned with. And each mission would feature one of these heroes trying to go about carrying out their objectives, creating alliances, and at times failing to get the concessions they want.

If you have a good writer with a nice bit of twists and turns, the game would culminate in an all out battle where the player gets to choose which of all the heroes they wish to play, and that decision determines not only which of the factions wins, but also what happens with that win. Like, if to use my previous example of the Warden and the Peacekeeper. If you choose the Warden, the vikings are expelled from the lands, while the samurai are pushed to the very corner of the map. While if you choose the Warden, the knights still win, but at the end maybe they use that victory to show some mercy to the samurais and allow them to have their current holdings but for some concessions.

And then, of course, we set ourselves up for a sequel, with maybe that force the samurai were running from show up (to simply use my historical parallelism as an example I'd pick the Mongols, I'm just not sure how to do them effectively without cavalry, really any new faction could work here).

Anyway, that's how I could see the story being improved, as someone who, you know, hasn't ever played through the campaign. Just from what I've seen the focus seems to be an evil overlord, and the missions we saw had people just calling your player by his or her class which just seems so suspension of disbelief breaking.

iHunny
09-22-2016, 06:34 PM
Well, For Honors story is not even a alternative history thing, its a whole own world. The factions is designed around what people think of when they hear Knights, Samurais or Vikings. Then they made a story around that. Will be interesting to see how the campaign will show.

DBLxxShotz
09-22-2016, 08:42 PM

Id agree with the criticism if this were a movie but its not. Its a video game and all that matters is gameplay. Is it fun? I dont know whats not fun about warriors from different time periods and parts of the world facing off on the battlefield. Like you said this is FANTASY and im all for it. Heck i think this is a great idea for a game and the possibilities are just about endless. As someone mentioned id like t o see Romans,Spartans and Persians in the the fray. Id like to see Zulu warriors,Apaches,Barbarians,Mongols,Gladiators,Mus keteers,Rajput,Aztec,Ninjas and i wouldnt mind seeing fictional and historical warriors thrown in the mix Achilles,Hector,Ajax,William Wallace,Lord of the rings,Game of Thrones,Leonitus,spartacus,Maximus etc.

If i remember correctly there was a pretty popular show called deadliest warrior that matched up warriors from different time periods and countries. People need to relax! Its a game