PDA

View Full Version : Parrying / Deflecting / Block / Unblockable / Dodging / Guard-Break / Counter Guard.

mikep999
09-21-2016, 08:01 PM
Hi guys,

I've been reading through threads and seeing various words being tossed around.

I'd like to know if I have the general idea:
(1) Parrying - your opponent attacks, you then attack in the same direction immediately after, followed by your own attack in any direction?
(2) Deflecting - both you and your opponent attack in the same direction at the same time? Causing sparks and what not?
(3) Block - you successfully negate an attack direction either with your shield or weapon?
(4) Unblockable - some attacks can't be blocked at all, thus you must move out of the way or get a club to the face, or perhaps parry that attack?
(5) Dodge - as it sounds, getting out of range of an attack, negating all damage?
(6) Guard-Break - opponent has weapon up in blocking position and you press corresponding 'guard-break' to break his stance, followed immediately by either nudging/grabbing/throwing etc. your opponent into a wall etc?
(7) Counter Guard-Break - the moment you see opponent break your guard (red-shield break icon) you guard-break as well and stop from being stunned momentarily?

Please offer corrections where I'm off base, just trying to get a hang of the terms. Yes, 5 months to go and things could change, but thought I'd ask.

dceuxp
09-21-2016, 10:05 PM
1. You can only parry using a heavy attack, but you got the jist of it. A successful parry also drains the enemies stamina.
2. Deflect is only used by light classes, if you block right before an attack you completely negate damage. Orochi gets a free hit after their deflect, berserker gets a free guard break.
3. Yup
4. You can parry unblockables, as well as deflect them
5. Yup, some class can dodge and attack in one motion
6. Yup
7. Yup, people tend to be really grab happy near environmental hazards

8? You can also cancel your heavy attacks. It lets you move the enemies guard and possibly bait out a parry. Its called feigning.

Roy_McDunno
09-21-2016, 10:38 PM
1. You can only parry using a heavy attack, but you got the jist of it. A successful parry also drains the enemies stamina.
2. Deflect is only used by light classes, if you block right before an attack you completely negate damage. Orochi gets a free hit after their deflect, berserker gets a free guard break.
3. Yup
4. You can parry unblockables, as well as deflect them
5. Yup, some class can dodge and attack in one motion
6. Yup
7. Yup, people tend to be really grab happy near environmental hazards

8? You can also cancel your heavy attacks. It lets you move the enemies guard and possibly bait out a parry. Its called feigning.

2) Which means against Wardens and Orochis one (for example Wardens) needs to be defensive, guardbreak/stun, then maybe combo.
But never blindly attack and give them the opportunity to block an attack and deflect? Because otherwise, by giving the Orochi a free attack you give them the opportunity to open a new "endless combo", right-o?

4) Un-blockables: Unbloackable attacks are the heavy attackes with the red sign and the flash in it? (https://i.ytimg.com/vi/28Lt8JNsaT0/maxresdefault.jpg) Warning, linked pic is bright eye-cancer if you open it in the night ^^

https://picload.org/image/rdgrclci/giphy2.gif
But man, I started 2 days late into the ForHonor-alpha, and lost against an Orochi in duel-mode, and he was like "Hey, might I give you some tips? You need to be more aggressive, attack, and not be defensive and wait to guard-break me". And stupid as I was, I attacked light left and right, but I was just giving him more windows to deflect and open long combos, right?

Now, looking back, oh man oh man.
I don't want to seem like an orochi- and weeb-hater, but after that match I often imagine Orochi-players as unhealthly obese weeaboos breathing heavily while typing with dorito-stained finger, as a Dude on reddit wrote.
Damn, after playing right into his hands... (https://img5.picload.org/image/rdrlalwp/z0zfyrrlosmx.gif)
https://img5.picload.org/image/rdrlacgg/criesquietly.gif