PDA

View Full Version : I came, I saw, I conquered. Conqueror hero guide

Free_Phalanx
09-19-2016, 05:24 PM
Hello everyone, I just wanna make clear that I'm not a member of the Hall of Heroes, I'm just a normal player that spent way too much time playing the closed alpha and is confident that he has mastered the conqueror class. Here's a picture of my personal player performance in case you want to see my “credentials”: http://i.imgur.com/9KVt6C6.jpg

I don't know if a member of the Hall of Heroes is already working on a guide for this class so in case someone is, I just want to say that it wasn't my intention to compete with you guys, I just fell in love with the game and the hero. After saying all of that we can finally begin the guide.

The conqueror, the heaviest and the mightiest. They climbed up to hero status starting from the very bottom. Their actions speak for themselves. Subtlety is definitely not one of their virtues so they are very clear about their intentions: They have come to conquer!

In this guide I won't just tell you how to fight as a conqueror, I will tell you how to win your games. Let's get started.

The basics:

-Light and heavy attacks: The conqueror's light attacks have below average speed and they don't deal that much damage but they allow you to perform nasty combos, they also have pretty short range, their heavy attacks on the other hand deal a lot of damage, have decent speed and can also perform brutal combos so they are your main tool to smite your enemies. The conqueror is all about combos which will often drain your stamina very fast so keep an eye on your stamina bar when attacking and if you end up running out of stamina just start blocking until you recover your stamina.

-Your role on the battlefield (Dominion): As a heavy hero your main task is to defend capture points from the enemy players so you will often find yourself outnumbered, in this situation remember to not get greedy for kills, play defensive, make the enemies waste their time trying to get through your shield while your teammates take control of the rest of the map and keep your distance not allowing the enemies to perform a guard break on you. Despite not being a vanguard hero, the conqueror can push the central objective pretty fast (more on that later) so don't be afraid of getting in the mosh pit and bash some footsoldier skulls. Remember that your running is slower than the other classes so never try to chase a fleeing enemy and don't run away from a fight unless it is completely hopeless.

-Cannot feint: Just like it sounds, which makes sense (he uses a flail) you can't just redirect the chain in the middle of a swing so forget about getting fancy and deceptive with this hero.

-Superior block: Blocked enemy attacks will stagger the enemy and cancel their attack chain ( this is really useful against kenseis) while you won't even flinch, giving you an opening for a counterattack. The effects on the enemy will increase if you also parry them and they will lose a big chunk of their stamina (press heavy attack on the direction of the incoming attack right before the enemy hits you)

Advanced mechanics

-Charged heavy attack (hold the heavy attack button and release): A very interesting mechanic with a couple of uses. When you see an enemy running at you from the distance you should start charging your heavy attack (remember that you have to hold the lock on button to do this, even if there aren't any enemies in range you will automatically lock on to the incoming enemy once he gets close enough), the attack takes about a second to charge and you can keep charging it as much time as you like (it won't gain extra properties if you keep charging it beyond the first second though), you can also dodge and change the direction of your guard while charging the attack, so when the enemy gets in range just release the button and you will perform a faster and more damaging version of your heavy attack, some other uses include using this attack when the enemy is getting slowly closer to you when he has already locked on to you and change the direction of your guard right when you release the attack to make the attack harder to predict, you should also use it when ganking an enemy with an ally, instead of spamming your attacks you should start charging and release when you see an opening in the outnumbered enemy's defense. Remember that your weapon will glow when you start charging and perform a very distinctive animation.

-Shield crush (press the guard break button after performing a dodge or after performing a heavy attack) and charging shield crush (press guard break button while sprinting): A very similar move to he warden's shoulder charge, it doesnt do any damage but pushes the enemy away and makes them lower their guard allowing you to perform an attack giving the enemy very short time to react. The charging variant actually knocks the enemy to the ground allowing you to score a free heavy attack on them before they get up.

-Defensive mode: A very cool move in theory but you won't really need it most of the time. While you are in defensive mode you will actually protect every one of your sides but it costs stamina to activate and every blocked attack will also make you lose stamina and you will be knocked to the ground if an enemy attack makes you run out of it. The main use for this move comes when multiple enemies are attacking you, but you can totally defend yourself very efficiently without being in this mode and you won't even lose stamina, it also motivates the enemies to break your guard so you should never hold it for very long if you actually use it.

-The zone attack (press light attack and heavy attack at the same time): This is your main tool to push the central objective. When you use this move you will start spinning your flail around yourself hitting every enemy around you so get in the middle of a big group of minions and start spinning. Your zone attack only consumes about a third of your stamina unlike the zone attacks of the other classes which consume about half of the stamina bar. You can also use this move when surrounded by enemy heroes but it doesn't deal much damage and you can still get hit by long range attacks coming from outside of your spin.

-When to take the offensive: If the enemy has taken the offensive themselves you should wait for an attack that you are confident that you can parry and take the offensive while the enemy is recovering. If the enemy is playing defensive don't just start with a heavy attack out of nowhere unless you have previously charged it because you will probably get parried, you should instead start with a shield crush ot a guard break if the enemy is close enough and start your assault while they are recovering, most of the time you can score a heavy attack by attacking during this time.

Combos: The attacks of the conqueror will come faster if they arrive from a different direction of the previous attack, this is the basic theory behind all of the combos.

-Infinite chain (just chain light attacks and keep changing the direction of your next attack after hitting the enemy): You can actually keep chaining attacks until you run out of stamina, as I have already said, the light attacks don't deal much damage but this chain is so fast that you can almost stunlock an enemy, the only real way for the enemy to escape this combo without running away if they get hit is to predict the direction of your next attack or to dodge away right after recovering from one of your attacks.

-Infinite chain into heavy attack (perform about 2 or 3 light attacks from your infinite chain and perform a heavy attack afterwards): This is the main use for your infinite chain combo, the enemy won't know when the heavy attack is coming or from which direction and you can also chain a second heavy attack for more damage.

-Heavy attack into shield crush/ shield crush into heavy attack: This is your most brutal combo, you can start the combo with a dodge into the enemy and perform a shield crush or with a heavy attack. The idea is that after performing a heavy attack you can either peform a second heavy attack (in a different direction) if you think you can hit the enemy or a shield crush which will push the enemy and make him lower his guard to create an opening for another heavy attack. You can keep performing this combo until you run out of stamina as long as you keep doing one or two heavy attacks followed by a shield crush which will then be followed by more heavy attacks that will then be followed by another shield crush and well, you get the idea, and just like the infinite chain the enemy can only escape this combo in the same way.

-Infinite chain into heavy attack into shield crush into heavy attacks...: Your most elaborate combo. It chains together all of the combos that I explained previously.

Feats:

Level 1 feats:

-Speed Revive (passive): You will revive allies faster. This feat sounds kinda lame but it's actually pretty helpful since as a heavy hero you get extra renown for reviving allies and it makes your revive so fast that you will often have enough time to revive an ally even when enemies are close to you.

-Body Count (passive): You will heal yourself and recover stamina everytime you kill a minion. This feat will help you push the central objective without losing HP or having to stop to recover your stamina.

-Fiat Lux: Basically a flash grenade that also drains stamina. Definitely not my favourite feat since it can affect yourself and your allies as much as the enemies and you have to take a couple of seconds to aim properly.

Level 2 feats:

-Juggernaut: An activated ability that increases your defense for a long time in exchange for your ability to run. A pretty useful ability, just remember that you can cancel its effect by pressing the button again.

-Conqueror (passive): Capture objectives faster. You can already capture points very fast in this game so you don't really need this feat.

-Shield Basher (passive): Your shield crush move now deals some damage. I LOVE this feat, just imagine how much damage you can actually deal with one of your extended combos thanks to this feat.

Level 3 feats:

-Heal on Block (passive): You heal yourself a little everytime you block or parry an enemy attack. Not much to say about this feat but it's pretty good especially in outnumbered fights.

-Punch Through (passive): Even if the enemies block your attacks you will still deal some damage to them. I personally don't like this feat just because I always wanna make sure that my opponents have a very small chance to actually block my attacks.

-Pugno Mortis: Throw an explosive device that explodes after a couple of seconds. Useful to push the central objective and to deal damage to enemy heroes that are clumped together but will also damage yourself and your allies if any of you get hit.

Level 4 feats:

-Dauntless: An activated ability that grants you the ability to not get staggered in the middle of an attack animation for an extended amount of time. Decent feat but remember that you will still take full damage from the attacks that hit you so don't take unncessary risks even when you are using this feat.

-Regenerate (passive): You will slowly heal youself over time when out of combat. It's a pretty slow healing so I don't really like it that much since it's often better to just go to one of your capture zones and heal yourself there.

-Catapult: Call a catapult strike in an area. This feat has a huge cooldown and it takes a while to deliver but has a long range and is able to almost one shot kill enemy heroes and clear a lot of minions in one strike.https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/238426583306731520/238679116096733184/GUEST.png

InsanezillaXXX
09-19-2016, 10:57 PM
As someone who played the Conqueror a lot I'd recommend this guide.

Razor__Fox
09-20-2016, 03:58 PM
Damn it man, stop giving away our secrets!

Ahem...

As a fellow conqueror main I fully endorse this guide.

DETHREAPER_11
10-09-2016, 02:43 AM
As someone who never played Conq, I completely trust this, it seems very in depth, and seems like you know your character very well.

Dark-Thomy
10-09-2016, 03:46 PM
You should insist on the fact that you CAN STILL BLOCK attacks while charging your heavy.

Also, using a heavy attack right before an enemy attack on the same stance will do a counter attack....
Don't know if the timing is right before or right after that of parrying though.

Whatever your stance is, during a dash you'll block toward the direction of the dash. (except backward, naturally)
This means that you're blocking up when charging with your shield.

There is indeed a Defensive Mode in which you block any attack and which allows you to move. However you won't regen your stamina in this mode, you will lose stamina after each blocking and you won't stop ennemies' combos anymore.
There is also, the possibility to briefly "down the right pad" to have a sort of "total-guard" that will (during less than one sec) block any attack.
This block has the same properties than your normal guard.

(By the way, blocking heavies already deals some damages, even without feat)

handheld brando
10-10-2016, 05:19 PM
Hey man, Hall of Heroes Admin here.

If you or anyone wants to write your own guides for characters as well then please feel free too! Don't let anyone (Especially, anyone from the Hall of Heroes) tell you that you can't write your own guide and if someone does please tell me because that is not what we are about. We are not here to be the one and the only answer to how you play a character and It isn't our intention for you guys to take our guides as the only way to play each character. We just want to give you guys something to help get you started with each character and by no means do we want to stop others from doing the same. We want to see people do well at the game and giving them a basis to start from is a great way to help people figure out what characters they may like and then from there they can develop their own playstyles.

Most of the guys here love sharing their knowledge and experience about the game but that doesn't mean we don't like learning too. Seeing another guide out there besides ours is actually really nice because it helps us to see how others played their characters so we can see if it matched most of our experiences with each of the characters. While we do have a lot of amazing players in our Discord we also have a ton of players who are still really new to the game and they are eager to learn to play.

I just wanted to let you know man that I appreciate that you thought of us when you wrote this but also wanted to tell you that stuff like your guide is exactly the kind of stuff we want to see from the community. We all love the game and want the game to succeed and for that man, I gotta say thank you for writing this because I really enjoyed reading it.

If you want man you are more than welcome to join our Discord community as well as we are always looking for people who love the game like we do.

Discord Link

http://www.auplod.com/u/dpulao86af1.png (https://discord.gg/vzqMAyf)

Free_Phalanx
10-19-2016, 02:30 PM
Damn, I spend like a week without checking the forums and when I come back I see that a big member of the Hall of Heroes actually replied to my guide and enjoyed it, I appreciate that.

I did know from the start that I was free to post the guide and all, and that you guys probably would be fine with that but I still wanted to mention the fact that I'm not one of you just so no one could accuse me of pretending I was or something like that, anyway, thank you very much for your feedback and I'll definitely give a shot to joining the Discord community now. By the way, my Discord username is Free Phalanx.

Free_Phalanx
10-19-2016, 03:00 PM
Well, I thought it was obvious that you could block enemy attacks while charging the heavy attack since I mentioned that you could change the direction of your guard but I see your point.
I definitely should have mentioned the fact that you can still block while dashing and that you can't regen stamina while in defensive mode, you are right.
I did know that you could counter attack while charging a heavy attack but the mechanics and the timing seemed rather inconsistent in the alpha at least for me, specially since sometimes I performed the counter attack without even having a heavy attack charged so I decided to not talk about that specific mechanic since I didn't understand it 100%. Thank you for your feedback.

PowerSenpai
10-19-2016, 09:20 PM
Damn, I spend like a week without checking the forums and when I come back I see that a big member of the Hall of Heroes actually replied to my guide and enjoyed it, I appreciate that.

I did know from the start that I was free to post the guide and all, and that you guys probably would be fine with that but I still wanted to mention the fact that I'm not one of you just so no one could accuse me of pretending I was or something like that, anyway, thank you very much for your feedback and I'll definitely give a shot to joining the Discord community now. By the way, my Discord username is Free Phalanx.

I'll see you on the discord then! A really cool guide you have made here btw ^_^

FHL Team sbt
10-20-2016, 06:48 PM
great guide dude i loved it!

DBLxxShotz
10-21-2016, 02:22 AM
Hey man, Hall of Heroes Admin here.

If you or anyone wants to write your own guides for characters as well then please feel free too! Don't let anyone (Especially, anyone from the Hall of Heroes) tell you that you can't write your own guide and if someone does please tell me because that is not what we are about. We are not here to be the one and the only answer to how you play a character and It isn't our intention for you guys to take our guides as the only way to play each character. We just want to give you guys something to help get you started with each character and by no means do we want to stop others from doing the same. We want to see people do well at the game and giving them a basis to start from is a great way to help people figure out what characters they may like and then from there they can develop their own playstyles.

Most of the guys here love sharing their knowledge and experience about the game but that doesn't mean we don't like learning too. Seeing another guide out there besides ours is actually really nice because it helps us to see how others played their characters so we can see if it matched most of our experiences with each of the characters. While we do have a lot of amazing players in our Discord we also have a ton of players who are still really new to the game and they are eager to learn to play.

I just wanted to let you know man that I appreciate that you thought of us when you wrote this but also wanted to tell you that stuff like your guide is exactly the kind of stuff we want to see from the community. We all love the game and want the game to succeed and for that man, I gotta say thank you for writing this because I really enjoyed reading it.

If you want man you are more than welcome to join our Discord community as well as we are always looking for people who love the game like we do.

Discord Link

http://www.auplod.com/u/dpulao86af1.png (https://discord.gg/vzqMAyf)

Such a classy response and a fantastic guide. Should be stickied with the other guides.

DBLxxShotz
10-21-2016, 02:23 AM

Great write up bro. Absolutely outstanding!

FHL.Maryjane
10-23-2016, 01:22 AM
This is a guide on par with HoH i think it should be stickied till HoH release their guide atleast.

SPECKLES_
03-10-2017, 03:21 PM
ok so i don't normally post on forums and i know this post's kinda old now, but 2 things i never really see mentioned about the conqueror:

1) you can use your full block stance to feint, it cancels any attack. the stamina cost is high so it's not incredibly useful, but definitely worth knowing. it does also let you pull out of an attack to block if you messed up and are gonna get smacked.

2) it really can't be overstated how powerful the conq's block is, it essentially auto-parries anything but unblockables (which, shock horror, you have to manually parry), it's insane. i honestly think it's the easiest hero in the game and as a conq main i almost feel like it needs a bit of a nerf

RatedChaotic
03-10-2017, 03:37 PM
ok so i don't normally post on forums and i know this post's kinda old now, but 2 things i never really see mentioned about the conqueror:

1) you can use your full block stance to feint, it cancels any attack. the stamina cost is high so it's not incredibly useful, but definitely worth knowing. it does also let you pull out of an attack to block if you messed up and are gonna get smacked.

2) it really can't be overstated how powerful the conq's block is, it essentially auto-parries anything but unblockables (which, shock horror, you have to manually parry), it's insane. i honestly think it's the easiest hero in the game and as a conq main i almost feel like it needs a bit of a nerf

Really? I thought a conq couldnt feint. I'll have to check that out. Na he does not need a nerf. It says hes a strong defender for a reason.

teksuo1
03-10-2017, 03:46 PM
cool guide: here's a tl;dr

Heavy, shield bash, heavy, shield bash, heavy, shield bash. rinse and repeat.

if you want to spice it up, whiff an attack intentionally and then proceed to the above sequence.

Thanks for reading.

RatedChaotic
03-10-2017, 03:50 PM
cool guide: here's a tl;dr

Heavy, shield bash, heavy, shield bash, heavy, shield bash. rinse and repeat.

if you want to spice it up, whiff an attack intentionally and then proceed to the above sequence.

Thanks for reading.

Ya if your a noob playing against a noob.

teksuo1
03-10-2017, 03:56 PM
Ya if your a noob playing against a noob.

yeah it was just meant to get a few laughs ; though tbh this is what they end up resorting to when you bully them a bit ;-)

corazondedelfin
03-10-2017, 04:12 PM
This hero should be highly nerfed. Infinite combos with unstoppable hits in a fighting/role videogame? Cmon... It shouldnt be like that, at all.

After saying that and before anyone tells me anything, Im pretty fine killing conquerors, but thanks to that I "got gud", not to that this hero is not SUPER OVERPOWERED, which clearly HE IS..

Have fun everyone.

SPECKLES_
03-10-2017, 04:23 PM
Really? I thought a conq couldnt feint. I'll have to check that out. Na he does not need a nerf. It says hes a strong defender for a reason.

well it's not technically a feint, but it's functionally the same, it pulls you out of an attack and can be used to bait people, just that you end up in a full guard (which can be useful) and you won't regen stamina for a few seconds. and yeah idk, maybe it's just cause there's not a lot of conquerors running around and people aren't sure how to deal with it yet but i just feel that with the auto-parry/counter not a lot can stand up to me, time will tell i guess :)

teksuo1
03-10-2017, 04:26 PM
auto-parry/counter

wait what?!

SPECKLES_
03-10-2017, 04:29 PM
This hero should be highly nerfed. Infinite combos with unstoppable hits in a fighting/role videogame? Cmon... It shouldnt be like that, at all.

After saying that and before anyone tells me anything, Im pretty fine killing conquerors, but thanks to that I "got gud", not to that this hero is not SUPER OVERPOWERED, which clearly HE IS..

Have fun everyone.

any ideas on how he could be nerfed/balanced a bit while still maintaining the "feel?" you don't wanna nerf him into unplayability, and no single one of his skills is op, it's more just that when you add everything he can do up (auto-parry/counter, infinite chain, shield bash spam, essentially getting a feint even though not having one was supposed to be one of his weaknesses) it's a bit much. maybe if he changed guard stances a bit slower? idk

SPECKLES_
03-10-2017, 04:33 PM
wait what?!

the conq's guard can interrupt heavy attacks as well as light, similar to an ever so slightly weaker parry, allowing you to follow up with a counter, usually a heavy unless your opponent's pretty on the ball. if you've charged your heavy it's devastating. plus after a heavy you can go right into a shield bash/heavy infinite combo. even if you just follow up with a light, that's an infinite chain and unless they predict which direction you're coming from (which usually won't happen til you've got in 4 or 5 good hits) they can't stop it. (again, you can also end the infinite chain with a heavy and transition into heavy/bash/heavy/bash).

i love this class it's my main, but overall it just feels a bit too hard for the opponent to deal with.

corazondedelfin
03-10-2017, 04:35 PM
any ideas on how he could be nerfed/balanced a bit while still maintaining the "feel?" you don't wanna nerf him into unplayability, and no single one of his skills is op, it's more just that when you add everything he can do up (auto-parry/counter, infinite chain, shield bash spam, essentially getting a feint even though not having one was supposed to be one of his weaknesses) it's a bit much. maybe if he changed guard stances a bit slower? idk

Big changes, not small little changes. HE DOES A LOT OF THINGS, its like fighting against somekind of demoloshing tower. I need to put double efforts to kill it than to kill the rest and if they start doing the infinite ****... Then the game is ****ed up. That has to disappear, this character needs a big nerf to be equal to the rest, not super OVERPOWERED.

Either that or let my orochi jump above him and kill him by behind with a new ability "BackStorm" or somethng like that. :o

Lionardudu
03-10-2017, 04:36 PM

Have fun everyone.

Wow infinite combo with unstoppable hit ????!!!! Where???! i need it !!!

Cmon .... the infinite combo is a light attack sequence .... just a block stop it ...

And if you get stomp by shieldbash mixup .... u deserve a git gud XD

I agree that the shield bash/light if u hit is unconterable ... but no way better than the headbutt of a warlord or warden charge.

And conq have only this and the superior block ..... all other thing are parry bait.

Lionardudu
03-10-2017, 04:39 PM
Big changes, not small little changes. HE DOES A LOT OF THINGS, its like fighting against somekind of demoloshing tower. I need to put double efforts to kill it than to kill the rest and if they start doing the infinite ****... Then the game is ****ed up. That has to disappear, this character needs a big nerf to be equal to the rest, not super OVERPOWERED.

Either that or let my orochi jump above him and kill him by behind with a new ability "BackStorm" or somethng like that. :o

Orochi ...... ok ..... so .... u get killed in shield bash chain .... or by infinite combo ....??? infinite combo is a light attack spam ...shield bash mixup ..... you as orochi can just go away when you want with dodge attack/ dodge .

So yeah .... its a git gud situation...

SPECKLES_
03-10-2017, 04:41 PM

well in the mean time, as a conq here's how to deal with the infini chain and the bash/heavy:

when they start the chain, pick a guard direction and stick to it. if you try to match them you'll never keep up and get absolutely smashed. change your guard once to trick them into thinking you're trying to match them then go back, you'll usually stop the chain within 2 hits.

with the bash and heavy: dodge instead of trying to block/parry. a blocked heavy still gives the conq a bash, if you dash to the side they don't get it. if you're an assassin, kensei or valk that's a free hit to start your own combo too.

EDIT: sorry, if you dodge apparently they do still get the bash, you need to actually interrupt the heavy. tbh that feels waaaaay op, but yeah. instead of dodge i guess parry's your new best friend, or deflect/dodge/counter if you're an assassin kensei or valk.

Burn-The-Sinner
03-10-2017, 06:04 PM
I love threads like this. Thank you.