PDA

View Full Version : Why is the Valkyrie design so, so bad?

Derity
09-19-2016, 02:45 AM
I'm a huge fan of Norse Mythology so I love the fact that the Vikings are in this game. When I read that there was a Valkyrie class, I immediately thought OMG, that's my instant pick...

However... I can't help but be really disappointed in the design of the "Valkyrie" class. Firstly let me explain simply -

A Valkyrie is almost like an angel, when a worthy soldier dies in battle, they are the ones to bring them to Valhalla to fight in Odin's army. When the great war of Ragnarok comes, all the Gods armies, including Valkyries will fight the great war.

A Valkyrie has a lot symbolism with Wings (they usually wear Winged helmets, or actually have wings, or sometimes even both) and are usually wearing noble armor or robes / clothing. They powerful, almost godlike women.

This is what a Valkyrie normally looks like:

http://wallpaper.zone/thumb/2807839.jpg

http://tecnoslave.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/wotv_shieldmaiden_dlc_006.jpg

So can someone please explain to me, what the HELL is this?!:nonchalance:

http://i.imgur.com/7BYkpMT.png

Haha, sorry please excuse my french but this design is just... bad... every other character in For Honor looks so much better...

Is this an oversight by the developers? I have a feeling they just didn't know what to do / how to make the Vikings look good, so they just put them in pretty standard "Viking Armor" and gave them horned helmets (Vikings didn't even wear horned helmets), but if the developers did more research on Norse Mythology / Vikings I think they could make some amazing designs for the Viking characters.

Please if a Ubi dev sees this post, please remake the Valkyrie :(

TheNorthKnight
09-19-2016, 02:57 AM
i feel like wings may oversell it a little haha

Derity
09-19-2016, 02:59 AM
i feel like wings may oversell it a little haha

Sorry I edited my post and added another picture, they don't need to have actual wings, but they do always have winged helmets.

CNKalmah
09-19-2016, 03:34 AM
https://koshermetal.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/tyr-valkyrja_700.jpg?w=672&h=372&crop=1

Winged and Horned helmets are myth and always have been

TheDoomKnight
09-19-2016, 05:09 AM
https://koshermetal.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/tyr-valkyrja_700.jpg?w=672&h=372&crop=1

no they just have YET to be found on any viking so they COULD be out there, aside from that though this games world is an alternate universe and have already gone through the ages that would have started putting horns on helmets (brone age) so them be vikings doesn't matter so much in that regard and i think this should be the shield maiden, which was thing back then (kinda), instead of being named after the guides to valhalla

Derity
09-19-2016, 07:15 AM

Well of course, Valkyries themselves are a thing of myth.

Setzaroth
09-19-2016, 07:59 AM
What your describing will almost guaranteed be a premium skin of some sort.

Except the wings. This game is based in reality.

TheRealZinwrath
09-19-2016, 08:45 AM
well for starters valkryie are vaguely described in all old texts, so what you are describing is an artist interpretation you prefer. Some texts described them to wear helmets and wield spears but after that...pretty much left up to your imagination so it may be a bit unfair to suggest their design doesn't hit the mark.

I think the design fits in with the world of the game and matches the art style of the rest of the game, which I would argue is objectively a good thing if you want all your characters to blend well within the world you created. The game is not overly high fantasy (no wizards, fantasy creatures etc) so the title should not be taken literally much like many of the others class titles are not. They're simply cool titles. While I understand a desire for more high fantasy art stylings, I applaud For Honor with its rough "realistic" take on warriors especially the female warriors. They look like battle hardened tough women just like their male counter parts you really believe they would be found duking it out on the battlefield.

Of course its fine to have your own desire and opinion on what you want in the game, but I personally believe their efforts were anything but bad design. That said if this was a fantasy game with gods and angels like Smite, I would agree that version would be more fitting and cool.

Derity
09-19-2016, 09:06 AM
It's fine and I understand that they do not want the art direction to be too far into the region of fantasy, but regardless, the Valkyrie design at this moment in time just looks like your bog standard leather armor set in Skyrim.

They would not need to go outside of their art direction to make a character look good. Every other race has really cool looking characters, but the Vikings, specifically the Valkyrie design, IMO, is nothing more than boring.

TheDoomKnight
09-19-2016, 09:48 AM
It's fine and I understand that they do not want the art direction to be too far into the region of fantasy, but regardless, the Valkyrie design at this moment in time just looks like your bog standard leather armor set in Skyrim.

They would not need to go outside of their art direction to make a character look good. Every other race has really cool looking characters, but the Vikings, specifically the Valkyrie design, IMO, is nothing more than boring.

well it should look like normal armor cause that's what they have, remember grounded in semblance of realism
it looks pretty cool for the vikings out of the 4 she is the only one with a near-full helmet that has a mask to it (which will probably change depending on what mask you equip like the kensai) and comparing her to other factions classes appearance is a bit unfair, they all look cool for their faction i personally don't see a way to make it better while keeping to the viking stylings

Kovuh
09-19-2016, 10:27 AM
I'm a huge fan of Norse Mythology so I love the fact that the Vikings are in this game. When I read that there was a Valkyrie class, I immediately thought OMG, that's my instant pick...

However... I can't help but be really disappointed in the design of the "Valkyrie" class. Firstly let me explain simply -

A Valkyrie is almost like an angel, when a worthy soldier dies in battle, they are the ones to bring them to Valhalla to fight in Odin's army. When the great war of Ragnarok comes, all the Gods armies, including Valkyries will fight the great war.

A Valkyrie has a lot symbolism with Wings (they usually wear Winged helmets, or actually have wings, or sometimes even both) and are usually wearing noble armor or robes / clothing. They powerful, almost godlike women.

This is what a Valkyrie normally looks like:

http://wallpaper.zone/thumb/2807839.jpg

http://i0.ltalk.ru/92/87/198792/15/12857615/53512445_brunhilde.jpeg

So can someone please explain to me, what the HELL is this?!:nonchalance:

http://i.imgur.com/7BYkpMT.png

Haha, sorry please excuse my french but this design is just... bad... every other character in For Honor looks so much better...

Is this an oversight by the developers? I have a feeling they just didn't know what to do / how to make the Vikings look good, so they just put them in pretty standard "Viking Armor" and gave them horned helmets (Vikings didn't even wear horned helmets), but if the developers did more research on Norse Mythology / Vikings I think they could make some amazing designs for the Viking characters.

Please if a Ubi dev sees this post, please remake the Valkyrie :(

Valkriye is just her heroe designation shes just a normal viking Like a call sign if you will, she looks like a typicall viking Im sure she'll get better armor designs different tiers have different designs so

waraidako
09-19-2016, 10:33 AM
Basically, this is what we want:

http://www.pcinvasion.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/wotv_shieldmaiden_dlc_006-1024x576.jpg

There is a Valkyrie in the E3 viking gameplay trailer that has a less dumb looking helmet, but the armour is no good. I still don't get why they're using a shortspear and a targe though. It seems like they're going for a hewing spear, but then why even have a shield? It's only going to get in the way of you using your spear two handed and getting the most out of it in terms of cutting performance. And besides, using a targe looks distinctly not viking.

Barricade133
09-19-2016, 11:26 AM
All classes are gonna start in scrubs and as you get more gear you should be able to make them look the way you want. Special with appearance swapping.

iHunny
09-19-2016, 05:33 PM
I enjoy the design on the current Valkyrie. And what a Valkyrie is in For Honor will probably be explained. Could be a religious order of combat nuns. Could be a name given to female warriors who fight with spears and shields. I also prefer the curved horns over wings, but its all personal preference when it comes to visuals anyho.

Maccaroth
09-19-2016, 08:19 PM
If I may... In the For Honor Gameplay Walkthrough: Viking Campaign Mission - E3 2016 Official [US] (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuuJZ2m2x0k) at 4:08 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YuuJZ2m2x0k#t=248) you can see more angelic version of a Valkyrie (and I agree I like this one more than what they have on pictures). I hope it means she will be more customizable. She and the Conqueror as I am not a fan of his default armor.

TheDoomKnight
09-19-2016, 09:09 PM

http://www.pcinvasion.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/wotv_shieldmaiden_dlc_006-1024x576.jpg

There is a Valkyrie in the E3 viking gameplay trailer that has a less dumb looking helmet, but the armour is no good.

is it because it's largely leather? if so then you need to just accept it as putting alot of metal on it would be out of place for viking stylings, if just the way it looks like how the berserkers just looks like a cloth shirt then that will all depend on what your equipped armor is

waraidako
09-19-2016, 09:45 PM
is it because it's largely leather? if so then you need to just accept it as putting alot of metal on it would be out of place for viking stylings, if just the way it looks like how the berserkers just looks like a cloth shirt then that will all depend on what your equipped armor is

No, look. Under the leather hood she's wearing lamellar armour. That's viking style. Overlapping steel plates.
This is viking style:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/da/ed/bd/daedbd015420f7db706d698f5ad864df.jpg

TheDoomKnight
09-19-2016, 10:40 PM
No, look. Under the leather hood she's wearing lamellar armour. That's viking style. Overlapping steel plates.
This is viking style:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/da/ed/bd/daedbd015420f7db706d698f5ad864df.jpg

i meant viking style in the context of the game which consists of largely leather armor with small amounts of metal not our reality viking style

Derity
09-20-2016, 12:12 AM

There is a Valkyrie in the E3 viking gameplay trailer that has a less dumb looking helmet, but the armour is no good. I still don't get why they're using a shortspear and a targe though. It seems like they're going for a hewing spear, but then why even have a shield? It's only going to get in the way of you using your spear two handed and getting the most out of it in terms of cutting performance. And besides, using a targe looks distinctly not viking.

Exactly, the picture you have posted looks soooo much better than what they have as the Valkyrie design ._.

I added your picture to the main post.

IonizedThrone
09-20-2016, 12:56 AM
Exactly, the picture you have posted looks soooo much better than what they have as the Valkyrie design ._.

I added your picture to the main post.

Their Valkyrie design looks better than their Valkyrie design?

Derity
09-20-2016, 01:56 AM
Their Valkyrie design looks better than their Valkyrie design?

That character isn't from For Honor, it is from War of the Vikings.

Onyd
09-20-2016, 04:39 PM
Considering you can change the armor of your character this is really a moot point.
The first image posted doesn't fit the general attitude of For Honor so it isn't really relevant.

The name is just a name. It's not a literal 'Valkyrie'. Just like the 'Orochi' has nothing do with the mythological creature.
At most the name represents some kind of inspiration for that class. The Orochi has some snake-like motifs.
So maybe she will have some motifs which include feathers and horses. She's wearing the mantle of a Valkyrie, not necessarily cosplaying as one.

I'm sure they chose it because it generally conveys ideas of battle, vikings and women. Which are all appropriate.

waraidako
09-20-2016, 10:20 PM
As opposed to the term shieldmaiden?

You can't really change armour in game, you adjust it slightly. The overall look is still the same. I do wish we'd get some more variety in that.

TheDoomKnight
09-21-2016, 04:47 AM
As opposed to the term shieldmaiden?

You can't really change armour in game, you adjust it slightly. The overall look is still the same. I do wish we'd get some more variety in that.

no but some pieces look completely different to others, such as some kensai armor having the coat over it and others not the mask being bone like or the typical male face thing, the raiders chest piece can be just ropes around them or leather strips and a metal ring or even kinda leather armor, the conquer can get gauntlets instead of just bare arms and the helmet changes from the typical cylinder shape, so it's more than slightly changing it but i wouldn't go as far as drastic for the most part although sometimes it is

Lynx7386
09-21-2016, 08:52 AM
They're really shield maidens, but that name didnt fit well with Raider, Berserker, and Warlord, so they went with something that sounded good.

We know there will be character customization, so they're probably just showing us the most basic appearance of the character right now.

WinterHt
09-21-2016, 10:40 AM
They're really shield maidens, but that name didnt fit well with Raider, Berserker, and Warlord, so they went with something that sounded good.

We know there will be character customization, so they're probably just showing us the most basic appearance of the character right now.

I think almost all the Viking characters are misnamed.

In my opinion, Raider should have been named Berserker, and Berserker should instead be named Raider. Looks, animations, general feel, all considered, Raider has more of the traits that makes one think of Berserker, and Berserker looks more like a lightweight Raider.

Valkrie, as you've said, makes me think more like "shield maiden" too, but I guess that doesn't sound as cool as Valkyrie.

Anyway, the ones I have been interested in Vikings faction are Warlor and Valkyrie, so waiting for their reveal eagerly!

On note of character looks, they are deliberately less embellished and a little bit more historical-ish compared to most non-indie games portraying medieval eras or rather medieval inspired fictional settings. Yes, it has still a lot of artistic liberties, but at least overall more historically rooted than most others, and I like that. Ladies don't look like overly sexualized models without regard to actual armour protection etc, they look like they are actually going to war, rather than a beuaty contest or whatever. Rather, they are badasses, dressed for war, and meaning business, standing against or side by side with their masculine counterparts. I'm sure with customizations unlocked, Valkrie will also look pretty cool. In case of Valkrie in this game, they obviously are humans, rather than otherworldly beings who carry souls of fallen worthy warriors to Valhalla as we have in Norse Mythology. Their relation is only in name, and perhaps in using spear since that is more often the Valkries were protrayed in artwork, which are created mmuch later than Viking age, and are of roughly same vintage and accuracy as the ones with horned helmets on Vikings.

iHunny
09-21-2016, 01:27 PM
no but some pieces look completely different to others, such as some kensai armor having the coat over it and others not the mask being bone like or the typical male face thing, the raiders chest piece can be just ropes around them or leather strips and a metal ring or even kinda leather armor, the conquer can get gauntlets instead of just bare arms and the helmet changes from the typical cylinder shape, so it's more than slightly changing it but i wouldn't go as far as drastic for the most part although sometimes it is

There will be more customization options in the releas, or thats what they say. It could be huge changes in visuals.

TheDoomKnight
09-22-2016, 05:16 AM
There will be more customization options in the releas, or thats what they say. It could be huge changes in visuals.

i know, i was just pointing out that there already is plenty of visual change in pieces they don't all look similar most things look completely different to others and some are just slight color/detail changes

feralfeather
09-22-2016, 08:33 PM
while its a common urban legend, or lets say holliwood myth that vikings used horns like cowhorns on their helmets, there is actually proof Aries horn like the one this character has was used, those there wwere only two grave funds with metnioned leftovers of such said helmets, 2 grave funds is alot compared to gravefunds of any other specific detailed gearpart... It not like they found zillions of celtic helmets with a engraving around they eysection, or hundreds of real ulfberth swords.

Personally I like the interpretation from the for honor team there... i mean knights are also no valliant shiny heros here on their quest for the grail or to rescue a princess from a dragon..

Imo its a mix between realism, authentic stuff, design interpretation and thinks that are badass to sell it to us.... and I buy that... tho my mainfaction is knight, if you dont want that valkyrie, hell IMA GONNA LET HER WORK FOR ME...i mean... dont u like badass woman? well I do.

Im happy those battlescarred warrioirs from the bloodie battlefield of honor, dont have golden wings, angelic looks and shiny sparkles... I dont want an anime kawai otaku orochi babe (ok more fitting to your example, the unseen shadow ninja, the ghost you onyl get a glance of by death) , and not prince wonderfull knight.(or more close a knight from arthuirs callibre, or something).. so please no devine angelic valkyrie ...

valkyrie is just a name for the battleclass, its not THE valkyries from norse mythologie. they would be hell OP anyway if you would do them any justice according to mythologie!