PDA

View Full Version : Why uPlay Sucks

cool_recep
09-18-2016, 08:27 PM
From year to year, I come to this forum and tell my thoughts about how uPlay sucks.

This year, the topic is hidden games. Or multiple games. I have 4 The Crew in my library as you can see:

Beta Version
Russian version
Steam version
uPlay worldwider version

Normally, except Steam version, all of them are hidden.

But every single ****ing time I install uPlay, they come back. Steam keeps a list of my library. And every time I install Steam, my library is displayed as I have left it. But uPlay can not do this....

Also, I have told you before but you don't give a **** about user feedback anyway. But maybe, your brick constructed brains can comphrehend something when told over and over again:

You are still using vBulletin, which is outdated and which has vulnerabilities.Epic Games Forumshas been hacked. They were also using vBulletin...

Regards

Oh, and if you add a permanent game delete option like Steam, that would be good...

Ubi-Cain
09-18-2016, 09:19 PM
From year to year, I come to this forum and tell my thoughts about how uPlay sucks.

This year, the topic is hidden games. Or multiple games. I have 4 The Crew in my library as you can see:

Beta Version
Russian version
Steam version
uPlay worldwider version

Normally, except Steam version, all of them are hidden.

But every single ****ing time I install uPlay, they come back. Steam keeps a list of my library. And every time I install Steam, my library is displayed as I have left it. But uPlay can not do this....

Also, I have told you before but you don't give a **** about user feedback anyway. But maybe, your brick constructed brains can comphrehend something when told over and over again:

You are still using vBulletin, which is outdated and which has vulnerabilities.Epic Games Forumshas been hacked. They were also using vBulletin...

Regards

Oh, and if you add a permanent game delete option like Steam, that would be good...

Hi There cool_recep, Thanks for the feedback.

We've discussed some improvements of sorts for some of the things you've described here most recently being the removal of expired products from user libraries since they of course don't really serve a purpose at the moment. This one is likely to happen sooner rather than later.

Having a persistent library view across machines or through uninstall/re-installs of Uplay is something we have considered but it's not a very high priority at the moment as there are other more pressing issues to attend to like issues with our friends system.

Also, It's not that we don't care what you have to say it's that we simply can't just drop everything and cater to every single user request as they come in... it's simply not possible. That's assuming these suggestions are even in line with the direction we want to go in or if it's something the community as a whole would appreciate. In the case of what you've suggested it's fine as it's unlikely to aadverselyaffect anyone if it's implemented but that's not always the case for every suggestion :P

We have implemented several community requested features in the past though where we have been able such as:

The customizable library view itself
2-Step Verification
Time-Played and stats on game pages (For supported games)
Previews of chat messages in notifications
Friend suggestions (Recently met players)
Game pages showing friends playing (For supported games)
Improvements to backing up and transfering games
Saving recent messages between chat sessions
The option to save uncompressed screenshots
Making Uplay more discreet for Steam users
FPS counter in overlay
And more that I can't remember right now :P

All of those are a result of community feedback and sure, there are still many more suggestions out there that we'd love to and no doubt will eventually get around to adding, but I wouldn;t say we're not listening.

Lastly, don't confuse one website using vBulletin having a security breach as the platform itself being innately insecure. There are always vulnerabilities with software from the OS you're using to the security tools you're using to protect yourself. What matters is if these vulnerabilities are patched and taken seriously which they are by both ourselves though our own layers of security for forum account databases and vBulletin themselves, and they most certainly are.

Thanks again for the feedback, it's noted for a future opportunity to take a look at it :)

Brandon23z
09-20-2016, 02:55 AM
Hi There cool_recep, Thanks for the feedback.

We've discussed some improvements of sorts for some of the things you've described here most recently being the removal of expired products from user libraries since they of course don't really serve a purpose at the moment. This one is likely to happen sooner rather than later.

Having a persistent library view across machines or through uninstall/re-installs of Uplay is something we have considered but it's not a very high priority at the moment as there are other more pressing issues to attend to like issues with our friends system.

Also, It's not that we don't care what you have to say it's that we simply can't just drop everything and cater to every single user request as they come in... it's simply not possible. That's assuming these suggestions are even in line with the direction we want to go in or if it's something the community as a whole would appreciate. In the case of what you've suggested it's fine as it's unlikely to aadverselyaffect anyone if it's implemented but that's not always the case for every suggestion :P

We have implemented several community requested features in the past though where we have been able such as:

The customizable library view itself
2-Step Verification
Time-Played and stats on game pages (For supported games)
Previews of chat messages in notifications
Friend suggestions (Recently met players)
Game pages showing friends playing (For supported games)
Improvements to backing up and transfering games
Saving recent messages between chat sessions
The option to save uncompressed screenshots
Making Uplay more discreet for Steam users
FPS counter in overlay
And more that I can't remember right now :P

All of those are a result of community feedback and sure, there are still many more suggestions out there that we'd love to and no doubt will eventually get around to adding, but I wouldn;t say we're not listening.

Lastly, don't confuse one website using vBulletin having a security breach as the platform itself being innately insecure. There are always vulnerabilities with software from the OS you're using to the security tools you're using to protect yourself. What matters is if these vulnerabilities are patched and taken seriously which they are by both ourselves though our own layers of security for forum account databases and vBulletin themselves, and they most certainly are.

Thanks again for the feedback, it's noted for a future opportunity to take a look at it :)

Why don't you guys give a Uplay only version of the game when I buy a game from Steam? That way I can play the game on Uplay without Steam.

Right now, by buying a game from Steam, I get the Steam/Uplay version on my Uplay account. Uplay should be 100% independent from Steam. I should be able to play Uplay games without Steam.

CDPR does this with Witcher. You buy any Witcher game from Steam, the key can be used on GOG to play the game.

You can buy any Witcher game from Steam and never have to use Steam to play it.

Ubi-Cain
09-20-2016, 10:52 AM
Why don't you guys give a Uplay only version of the game when I buy a game from Steam? That way I can play the game on Uplay without Steam.
That's not an option I'm afraid. When buying the games from Steam... Steam is a requirement. There are few exceptions to this rule.

Right now, by buying a game from Steam, I get the Steam/Uplay version on my Uplay account. Uplay should be 100% independent from Steam. I should be able to play Uplay games without Steam..
Lots of people still want to buy their games on Steam. Your suggestion denies them that based on something that's already optional for you.
You don't want to run Steam to play Ubisoft games? The solution is pretty simple... buy your games anywhere other than Steam. Only games purchased in the Steam store require Steam to run in conjunction with Uplay. Buying the games from pretty much anywhere else only requires the use of Uplay :)

CDPR does this with Witcher. You buy any Witcher game from Steam, the key can be used on GOG to play the game.
You can buy any Witcher game from Steam and never have to use Steam to play it.
That only applies to Wither 1 and 2 though, correct? (I don't see an option for Witcher 3)
This is probably a pre-defined agreement between GoG and Valve and is likely only possible because the people who already own the game have little to no chance monetizing any further in the context of those 2 games. Unlike The Witcher 3.

Brandon23z
09-24-2016, 12:00 AM
That's not an option I'm afraid. When buying the games from Steam... Steam is a requirement. There are few exceptions to this rule.

I've never heard that Steam is required to run a game. Steam offers DRM services, but you don't have to use them. Ubisoft is big enough that it would be in their interest to use DRM, but that's why they created Uplay. You were right about not being able to claim the back up copy on the 3rd game, but you can still go to the Witcher 3 directory and run the game without Steam.

Lots of people still want to buy their games on Steam. Your suggestion denies them that based on something that's already optional for you.
You don't want to run Steam to play Ubisoft games? The solution is pretty simple... buy your games anywhere other than Steam. Only games purchased in the Steam store require Steam to run in conjunction with Uplay. Buying the games from pretty much anywhere else only requires the use of Uplay

People who buy the games from Steam can still play the Uplay/Steam version, like I am doing for Far Cry 3. They don't HAVE to play the Uplay only version. I'm just saying that it would be a great option for the people who actually buy Uplay games. I personally don't hate Uplay games, but when I go to the Steam forums or reviews, 90% of the complaints are about Steam and Uplay running together.

Seriously, just click any Ubi game on Steam and go to the negative reviews. Count how many reviews in a row include the word "Uplay".

Giving Uplay users both options would only benefit the playerbase. You already have me as a registered user, allowing me to play the game without Steam will only help. It does not make sense that Steam is required to run a Uplay game.

Brandon23z
10-30-2016, 07:20 AM
I'm wondering if the Uplay only thing with Steam is still a possible option. Maybe give the idea to the higher ups?

MisterFibble
12-07-2016, 04:26 PM
CDPR's free version of witchers 1&2 was initially for owners of the physical boxed copies to get a digital backup. With the advent of gog connect they are now on the list as fixtures since CDPR is the parent company of gog. Ubisoft games on gog are the old ones that predate uplay being woven heavily into the game so its highly unlikely that any of the more recent uplay ones will arrive there at any time as the titles would require dissection and rebuilding to be drm free.

With a few exceptions from older games steam is required to play games you bought on steam, thats the whole point of being a library launcher drm.

A lot of the hate uplay gets is as a result of the two launchers having issues, easy solution is to simply shop around and not believe that steam is the only place to buy games online. They may have been the best sales for games once but thats no longer the case. They have their massive market share and are happy to sit back and let the brand do its thing because it'll take a long while for anyone else to catch up.

Origin and uplay are very publisher specific so they are no threat to steam which leaves on gog's launcher and thats still in its infancy. Not to mention delayed launches thanks to the likes of denuvo pushing paranoia onto publishers.

ATG_WIZz
02-10-2017, 04:04 AM
For me Uplay sucks because of their holier-than-thou arrogant attitude that they have with thinking that everyone wants uplay to be open on the desktop on startup!

I have Steam, Origin, Battlenet and Uplay starting with windows but Ubisoft are the only ones rude enough to force their client in your face every time you reboot or start your PC!

I refuse to give them any more money while they force uplay in my face!

I have made several posts about this in the past and created a support ticket but Ubisoft do not listen or care!

ranbla
05-06-2017, 01:09 PM
Of all the real problems with Ubi and their games and this is the thing you shed a tear about? Minimizing? Thanks for the giggle.