PDA

View Full Version : Why do I have such a hard time reacting to guard break?

SevenMD
09-18-2016, 06:14 PM
I swear I can parry and counter everything thrown at me, but as soon as a guard break comes at me I almost always go blank on what button I'm supposed to push or just don't react to it at all.

Why is this happening? Am I really this stupid? Did anyone have a hard time stopping guard breaks when they first started playing For Honor?

Maybe it's because I'm trying to play the game on mouse and keyboard.

Yboo12
09-18-2016, 06:53 PM
It takes a while to get used to, since the action is so fast, it takes really split second timing. I recommend you just keep your finger off the attack button and on the gaurd break button.

AliceTheSilent
09-18-2016, 11:45 PM
It takes a while to get used to, since the action is so fast, it takes really split second timing. I recommend you just keep your finger off the attack button and on the gaurd break button.

I think it's a combination of a short timer, poor netcode, and poor connections.

feffreyfeffrey
09-19-2016, 12:23 AM
It's a guard break so your guys guard is broken which stuns you. Opening you up for an attack

L1L H4TCHET
09-19-2016, 12:34 AM
Yea guard break is my Achilles Heel every time

KALUHS
09-19-2016, 01:35 AM
mouse and keyboard is best for guard break and feint as the gamepad requires u to let go of right stick to press the button.

Still the window is very short.

JTXInfinity
09-19-2016, 04:01 AM
You have a very short moment to actually do anything, so it's essential that if you're trying to pull this off, you keep your finger off of the attack button. Your finger shouldn't even touch it until you're ready to follow up the guard block with an attack.

zefurr
09-24-2016, 03:20 AM
You'll get better with time. It's actually too easy to counter in 1v1 once you get the hang of it. They probably need to make the window shorter later on in the games life

As mentioned, keyboard and mouse have the advantage in guard break countering and feinting, as they don't need to move their finger off the right stick to do it.

mywayneheavy
09-24-2016, 03:33 AM
You'll get better with time. It's actually too easy to counter in 1v1 once you get the hang of it. They probably need to make the window shorter later on in the games life

As mentioned, keyboard and mouse have the advantage in guard break countering and feinting, as they don't need to move their finger off the right stick to do it.

agreed; it needs to be something you have to predict. like throwing in literally every fighting game. it'd be useless otherwise

people really don't understand that when they argue otherwise, they're essentially arguing to have a quicktime event as a core mechanic.

Father_Giliam
09-24-2016, 03:41 AM

While I dont have one, this advantage doesn't apply to the Elite Controller due to the face buttons being on the paddles on the back.

Lerneros
09-26-2016, 12:39 AM
I believe it is that your eyes are reacting to color first and not the badge which is only natural , you are used to recognise red as an incoming attack but takes a bit longer ro see the shield icon.
Maybe if the shield icon was another color guard break would be easier to counter but then again maybe it would be too easy. It takes a while to get used to it ;)

General Basch
09-27-2016, 12:52 PM
agreed; it needs to be something you have to predict. like throwing in literally every fighting game. it'd be useless otherwise

people really don't understand that when they argue otherwise, they're essentially arguing to have a quicktime event as a core mechanic.

In general you are right but actually in for honor you have enough time to react to an incoming guard break. In the alpha I had no problem doing it, you just have to really pay attention to what is happening. The only time I got guard breaked were when I fought some one for a long time and suddenly after 2 or 3 rounds used guard break for the first time.
1 guard break after 3 rounds sure is surprising.

Mr.Riot
09-27-2016, 08:26 PM
There is a guard break indicator that appears before the opponent actually does the guard break. So in addition to paying attention to the attack indicators, you should be looking out for the guard break indicator as well. Easier said then done :P because a guard break is still pretty quick and surprising but its the best advice i can think of and with practice you'll probably be able to quickly identify counter them.