PDA

View Full Version : Worst Training Mode I have Ever Seen

KayGee707
09-18-2016, 07:07 AM
100% guarantee this game will fail unless you put in a training mode that actually explains the mechanics deeper than the BS you have in there now. It needs to be on a character by character basis because they all have unique mechanics. If I am not mistaken, the training mode didn't even mention parrying at all. Also, why isn't there a mode where you can try out a characters moves on a bot that you can set to try to block and not fight back? How am I supposed to learn if I don't even have time to learn how to combo with a character before being killed? This alpha most likely just cost For Honor a good chunk of the player base because of how frustrating it is to learn.

Barricade133
09-18-2016, 10:56 AM
If you went to your account in the alpha and looked at the heroes you'd see that it offers you basic and advanced tutorials for each of the available classes that do mention how to parry. With the foundation those give you should be able to build a strategy around your chosen character. You can also 1v1 duel bots to spend more time with an active opponent or que up the training mode and stay near the practise dummies to memorize character specific chains and such. They aren't going to spell everything out for you sometimes you need to be able to put 2 and 2 together. The warden has a heavy parry that can only be done in the top stance, Orochi has a free two hit light combo from top stance as an example.

FHL Team sbt
09-18-2016, 02:09 PM
yeah this post is total BS there are videos basic and advanced IN GAME on how to do this, You can set it up so you and a bot just duel and you can practice combos its called a private 1 v 1. having a bot standing still doing nothing not going to help you.

"This alpha most likely just cost For Honor a good chunk of the player base because of how frustrating it is to learn"

no, it just gets rid of all the people games like dark souls first had moaning about how hard the game is

FredEx919
09-18-2016, 03:40 PM
Hello KayGee707,

Remember that this is an alpha. This is a small portion of the multiplayer side of the game. One of the main points of this alpha is to test things like the matchmaking. It's not intended for everyone to learn all features of the game within the small time frame available. With that said, we appreciate feedback and suggestions toward things you would like to be seen. If you have additional feedback, you will want to post it in the correct forums (Closed Alpha Forums (http://forums.ubi.com/forumdisplay.php/1326-Closed-Alpha-Forum)).

Demoraliz3
09-19-2016, 04:45 AM
sure i would love some more extended tutorial , but as a complete newbie i pretty much figured everything out after 15 hours ,, 1st thing to do is simply playing tutorial , opening combo list , memorizing it and experimenting . just understand that your tactics have to adjust depending on your enemy character. but all the necessary information is being given at start . although having Xbox/ps4 videos in pc version is kinda really annoying

TheRealZinwrath
09-19-2016, 09:00 AM
I think its fair to say that the game has a lot of depth that the tutorial really doesn't touch on. This is good in a lot of cases, because most players will only be able to take in so much information at the start anyway. Throwing too much at players will leave them overwhelmed. Also like the community manager said, matchmaking in these alphas is putting people of various skill levels against each other that will most likely happen far less often in launch. So a person who doesn't use advanced tactics will often be up against others who don't use those tactics. Also the game will sport a single player campaign which may help teach players more advanced tactics.

ALL THAT SAID. I think an "advanced" playable tutorial would be kind to those ready to take their game to the next level.
I think a practice mode against a bot (with infinite HP that has toggable attacks) similar to something found in a fighting game would help people practice their moves in a stress free place. (though may be a tall order).
And 3rdly I think the game could use a terminology key for a lot of the combat phrasing it uses. Many of my friends spent a long time not sure what the game was referring to when it said 'parry" "counter attack" etc... this may seem obvious for some, but the fact all 3 of my friends seemed clueless about some of these meanings on their last day of beta means it is probably a common problem. This would not be a tall order to include somewhere.

I love this game. I'm a big fan of the stylings and i'm a vet to 3d fighters and find myself at home here. Though I don't think people like me are super common. Its important for us to remember if we want more games of this type then we need them to be great successes so game companies see it as a safe area to invest in. Anything that can help less experienced ot skilled players find enjoyment and help them learn the game without feeling overwhelmed so they will feel happy and stay is only positive for those more advanced players. So i'm totally for anything they can do to improve the new user experience and help make everyone love this game as much as I do.

Barricade133
09-19-2016, 11:50 AM
Maybe a training mode that you and up to 8 friends can have duels and stuff in (in dueling cages sort of) to try and train each other without the fear of long respawns (it would be very quick fire like) but teach mechanics and tricks-of-the-trade to newer players in a live setting. Maybe even have it so you could set up 2v1's and such to try and work on those and allow large scale testing environments. Kind of like an online training mode like in fighting games.