PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic but intresting

Andrew OC
08-26-2004, 11:21 AM
If you look at das boot, you will see the engines were long and thin. Now, upon a visit to a preserved railway line - NYMR, I was invited to look inside the prototype Brish class 2 diesel engine. The room looked familiar? Where had i seen somthing like this? Well, back at the start or BR, they started building standardised diesel locos - the Brush class 1,2 and three. The designers of the Brush 2 chopped up a submarine engine, put a bit of sheet metal over the exposed bits, and stuck a supercherger on the front...

It was agreed that a submerine engine was not quite the idiea, but an almost carbon copy was designed for a supercherger and a generator (for the electric traction motors), and it stuck, so all Brush 2 engines look from the inside like a submarine. There is even the red oxide/rust/dust paint of the walls and roof!
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/353.gif

Andrew OC
08-26-2004, 11:21 AM
If you look at das boot, you will see the engines were long and thin. Now, upon a visit to a preserved railway line - NYMR, I was invited to look inside the prototype Brish class 2 diesel engine. The room looked familiar? Where had i seen somthing like this? Well, back at the start or BR, they started building standardised diesel locos - the Brush class 1,2 and three. The designers of the Brush 2 chopped up a submarine engine, put a bit of sheet metal over the exposed bits, and stuck a supercherger on the front...

It was agreed that a submerine engine was not quite the idiea, but an almost carbon copy was designed for a supercherger and a generator (for the electric traction motors), and it stuck, so all Brush 2 engines look from the inside like a submarine. There is even the red oxide/rust/dust paint of the walls and roof!
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/353.gif

HeibgesU999
08-26-2004, 02:21 PM
Yeah, I was watching something on the History Channel about the the connection between the development of the diesel engine for the railroads, and how it really changed submarine technolgy.