PDA

View Full Version : It amazes me that they dont listen....why?

Megahurt
05-20-2004, 03:20 AM
It seems no matter how scores of people here are begging not to have a campaign that makes you feel trapped in an elevator. Up u go, no coarse desisions, no freedom to explore, no going topside to have a look when you want, (be great to drill your crew and improve manoeuvers!) nope. None of what made you play AOD forever despite the graphics.
I wonder why theyd do it? Its exactly what we all want, actually its the most discussed and disired feature bar none. But they dont listen. Great graphics, excellant beyond belief. The first time I have to repeat a scripted mission, the game changes from an adventure, to a disappionting flop in the gameplay category. You have to wonder why they insist on not listening. Any ideas?

Megahurt
05-20-2004, 03:20 AM
It seems no matter how scores of people here are begging not to have a campaign that makes you feel trapped in an elevator. Up u go, no coarse desisions, no freedom to explore, no going topside to have a look when you want, (be great to drill your crew and improve manoeuvers!) nope. None of what made you play AOD forever despite the graphics.
I wonder why theyd do it? Its exactly what we all want, actually its the most discussed and disired feature bar none. But they dont listen. Great graphics, excellant beyond belief. The first time I have to repeat a scripted mission, the game changes from an adventure, to a disappionting flop in the gameplay category. You have to wonder why they insist on not listening. Any ideas?

CB..
05-20-2004, 05:27 AM
ok to give them their due they have listened to the desires of folsk to have a modelled interior for the sub and animated 3d crew (and have gone the full ten miles on the detailing in the interior) but seem to have had a bit of a mental glitch when it comes to the campaign..

prefering to use the time honoured gameplay "hooks" of "level up" "do not pass go..do not collect 200 pounds" "lets have a look at the old score board" all classic arcade game hooks...designed to keep yu pumpimg money into the those machines down the local cafe ..

instead of the more grown up gameplay hooks of
"how the heck did they do that"
"yikes where on earth did that come from"
"i'm going to need to think about this"
"that's amazing....there's actually someone following me"
"this simulated world seems to exist quite happily in it's own right......fascinating!! just like the real one!!"
"no matter what i do there allways appears to be another way to skin the cat"

you know the story...

some one needs to remind the guys that this isnt a coin op it's a desk top computer game...

there's no coin slot on a home computer (unless yu count the graphics card agp/pci slots LOL) so why use coin op motivation in the gameplay...

there's minimal risk involved in producing a game with "modern cutting edge" graphics..the vast majority of folks will be very happy indeed and indeed will happily go out and spend the dosh to buy what evers needed to run the game at max settings...no one ever questions this..(tho i think they should even if only occasionally)

all the risks come from how the game actually plays...which is an indication of the real prioritys in game design (i reckon?)
stick to the tried and tested arcade type gameplay hooks and in the short term yull make the money...try for something with a little more depth and thats when it starts getting risky..(?)

so far the crew management is the only element of genuine depth... and that could in fact be nothing more than a simple player managment of improvement in crew performance ...and so not in the end that involving... tho excellent in it's own right you have to be gratefull for the effort and modelling of the crew etc amazing.

just like in the movies no matter how good the specail effects are...in the end it's the story that really drives the movie forward and governs wether the movie is a flop or a box office success

same with a game (the two genres are getting closer to each other all the time)

no matter how good it looks....it's the way it plays that drives it forwards...
and there isnt any other way (out side of multiplayer) to play the game except in a mission....the missions ARE the story...the missions are the game;
missions/campaigns tend to be looked at these days as if they were just the "board" on which the game is played ....this is entirely mistaken
they are THE GAME!!!

[This message was edited by CB.. on Thu May 20 2004 at 05:34 AM.]

misha1967
05-20-2004, 08:55 AM
Just wanted to say this:

Excellent post, CB, I agree completely.

Lili_Marleen
05-20-2004, 09:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Megahurt:
You have to wonder why they insist on not listening. Any ideas?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome to the xbox age, mate. PCs are terribly infected too. No respect even for esteemed names like Silent Hunter.

And Hey Devs!! Im off. Spring is outside and Im FREE to go