PDA

View Full Version : What if Ubisoft decided to cut out the Animus in the games completly?

joshoolhorst
09-06-2016, 10:46 PM
If you have read my recent posts I like the Animus part of the game actually that is one of the few little things right now that keep me hooked to this franchise at this point in time. I can see the impact of my fight with the Templars in the future and help the future Assassin's in there goal I think this is great because without I feel like I don't want to fight because I know the Templars still exist and walk around in the next city and what I just did didn't really matter because later the Templars take control again...
I want to see if this has impact on the future and not feel useless. In AC Unity (A game I despise, hate with passion and hardly have any respect for) had hardly any Modern Day parts and I didn't feel like I wanted to play the story (or it was because I felt like suvering playing through that story -__-).
It was just a random side story that has hardly impact on anything and could be skipped easily and I noticed this has been going on ever since Desmond died.
What if the movie had no Modern Day and the comics just stopped having Modern Day and just left everything open to imagenination.

I hardly believe this will happen because of the new annoucements but this is a what if senario people tell me what you think.

SixKeys
09-06-2016, 11:08 PM
I would probably stop playing the games. If everything happens in the past and there's no connection to the future, what do I care if some long-dead assassin finds another Apple or Observatory? If you remove the Animus framework that explains things like dying with desynchronization, you've taken away every last thing that makes AC stand out from all other video games. If I just wanted to play a game that allows you to parkour and assassinate people, I'd play Shadow of Mordor, which is more polished gameplay-wise. The Animus, modern day and the First Civ stuff is what keeps the AC lore alive.

JamesFaith007
09-06-2016, 11:10 PM
No.

If you cut out Animus you would also cut out encyclopedic part of game because how would main character know f.e. about "future history" of some monuments?

LoyalACFan
09-06-2016, 11:22 PM
I would probably stop playing the games. If everything happens in the past and there's no connection to the future, what do I care if some long-dead assassin finds another Apple or Observatory? If you remove the Animus framework that explains things like dying with desynchronization, you've taken away every last thing that makes AC stand out from all other video games. If I just wanted to play a game that allows you to parkour and assassinate people, I'd play Shadow of Mordor, which is more polished gameplay-wise. The Animus, modern day and the First Civ stuff is what keeps the AC lore alive.

I disagree, I think the history would be just as interesting without the modern day. Keep in mind, if they remove the Animus, they can stop giving us a MacGuffin in every game that Los Modern Heroes are looking for. They'd no longer need any motivation outside of just telling a historical story about some Assassins and Templars. They can still use First Civ stuff (I guess I could call them Isu now, thanks to Jeffrey Yohalem for finally giving us forum folks a shorter name for them :p) but it would remove a lot of the restrictions from storytelling, i.e. the character would no longer have to have their life revolve around a PoE, they'd never have to have children, we could follow their whole lives through to their deaths, etc.

I mean, did AC4's story suck because it basically handwaved the Observatory away since the surveillance tech was obsolete in modern times? (Bonus- they also broke the rules by letting us see one of Edward's memories after he had Haytham).

RinoTheBouncer
09-06-2016, 11:44 PM

Oscar-worthy response.

cawatrooper9
09-07-2016, 12:04 AM
I feel like I don't want to fight because I know the Templars still exist and walk around in the next city and what I just did didn't really matter because later the Templars take control again...

Aside from the fact that no longer featuring an Animus wouldn't change that (because, having played previous games, that knowledge is well with us now anyway...) I don't think that sort of suspense have ever really been the point. In ACU, we're told from the beginning that Arno meets a sage- from then, it's about finding how this meeting took place, and how it connects to the present. Same goes for Altair and the Apple, or Connor and the key. The connections are incredibly important.

rob1990312
09-07-2016, 12:08 AM
i used to love the modern day story i thought it was the best thing in gaming until things took a wobble in ac3 desmond gets fried then game over, then with unity and syndicate it was just terrible, i think ubisoft itself would prefer not to have these modern day sections thats why they have changed so much and are cut down and sidelined to comics or graphic novels, they could have these stories in the games but it is probably too costly to have two different games in one
i just had a tought that ac modern day kind of reminds me of a certain game in a south park episode that makes you chase a purple magical dragon, you never catch the dragon stan
all promise and suspense and never any payoff
also that thing about ubi cheating showing edwards memories after he had a child mightened be what you think that memorie could be anyone else in that rooms memorie or edward could have another son that hasnt been mentioned before
i just remembered the memories come from desmonds genetic code so a lot of wat i said is nonsence but they could still be haythams memories

Fatal-Feit
09-07-2016, 12:31 AM
The MD was a complete mess and it continues to get messier and messier with every new game and spin-off. The writers have no idea how to develop its story and characters and so the less there is in the main games, the better, imo.

SixKeys
09-07-2016, 03:10 AM
I disagree, I think the history would be just as interesting without the modern day. Keep in mind, if they remove the Animus, they can stop giving us a MacGuffin in every game that Los Modern Heroes are looking for. They'd no longer need any motivation outside of just telling a historical story about some Assassins and Templars. They can still use First Civ stuff (I guess I could call them Isu now, thanks to Jeffrey Yohalem for finally giving us forum folks a shorter name for them :p) but it would remove a lot of the restrictions from storytelling, i.e. the character would no longer have to have their life revolve around a PoE, they'd never have to have children, we could follow their whole lives through to their deaths, etc.

I mean, did AC4's story suck because it basically handwaved the Observatory away since the surveillance tech was obsolete in modern times? (Bonus- they also broke the rules by letting us see one of Edward's memories after he had Haytham).

Again, if the modern day connection gets removed, what do I care what happened to some pirate in the 18th century? What do I care about the assassins vs. Templar conflict? If it's no longer happening in modern times, then obviously the conflict was resolved at some point (either that or they all killed each other) and whatever they did, whatever they fought over, is no longer relevant. In fact, if you remove all the modern day/First Civ stuff, then there's no reason for those two factions to keep fighting. Because the PoEs are the only thing that could ever give one or the other the upper hand on a global scale. Otherwise you're just looking at two terrorist groups quarreling over ideological differences, without any meaning for the rest of us. Oh, the Templars were running things in 16th century Italy? Whoop-de-doo, so what? It doesn't affect my life in any way. But if you tell me those same Templars' descendants survived to this day and are threatening world domination with a mind-controlling machine? NOW I have a reason to care.

Did AC4's story suck? No, it was fine. But I wasn't particularly attached to any of the characters, so had Black Flag been just a standalone pirate game, I doubt I would have bought the sequel. In the case of AC3, I wouldn't have even finished it had I not been desperate to find out what happened to Desmond.

I don't actually care much about history. AC did the unthinkable by making me (somewhat) interested in history by getting me to think about how the past can affect the world of today. Desmond and co. gave me a way to connect with the past in a way that was relatable, that made me feel like we're all part of something bigger than ourselves, something that will continue long after we're dead through our descendants. In a way, Desmond was like me. Didn't care about the assassins vs. Templars nonsense until he realized it was still going on and that he was part of it. He didn't have a sense of belonging anywhere until he looked into his ancestry and found where he fit in. That's when he had an "a-ha!" moment. That's when he started caring about a bunch of long-dead people. That's pretty much how I feel about history and how I feel about AC.

(BTW, don't quote me on this but I think Darby confirmed somewhere that we were actually seeing through Haytham's eyes in that last scene.)

ERICATHERINE
09-07-2016, 03:24 AM
@ sixkey. I just saw that your signature no longer have two set of keys. It only have 1 set of keys, now. Was the absent set of keys a second video different from the the other or was the 2 set, two link to see the same video? ^-^

Rugterwyper32
09-07-2016, 03:52 AM

Essentially this. The animus is, to me, a pretty neat framing device that explains a lot of the game-y elements there are in the series. It does a fantastic job at that, all the explanations you get as to when stuff was built and whatnot are cool. I don't need to suspend my disbelief reading about landmarks and whatnot or why my character can survive all sorts of impossible things during gameplay, it makes sense, but I'd be willing to suspend my disbelief if that wasn't there anyway. It just makes for a really cool way to see things.
But when it comes down to story, considering the modern fight between Assassins and Templars boils down to essentially "let's get that piece of Eden" "it doesn't work for what we want/we destroyed it it/too powerful must hide" "ok", it just leads to this sense of tedium, I'd say. I, for one, would've liked AC4's story more if you didn't have the entire Observatory plot and it was just how a third party made a mess of the battle between both sides and we saw a different focus to them rather than "let's race for yet another piece of Eden that we probably will end up destroying or hiding". Hell, I think we could do with a game with antagonists other than Templars. As Anto said in Assassin's Creed 4 "All freedom affairs are assassin affairs"! I'd like to see more of that side to the assassins. Without modern day constraining the series, it opens up options like that.
And there's more options as to the assassins we play as. I remember back in the days of discussing good ol' Sam Faye (boy, those were the days) the idea of an assassin with a family life, having a spouse and children and whatnot. Wouldn't that be neat.
To be honest, the only time I've genuinely gotten into modern day was during the leadup to AC3, mostly because I was caught in the hype machine wondering how that story would wrap up. And we all know how that went.

For me, the important thing about the story is how it gets from point A to point B, not so much about the ending itself. I don't mind predictable endings so long as they're solid enough to cap off a good journey. The only time I really want to be surprised by an ending is if I'm reading a murder mystery, and then again, that's only if I failed to figure out the whodunit/howdunit/whydunit before the book revealed it.

Besides that, for me this series has always been about the historical tourism experience that happens to have some pretty good gameplay, even if not great. I do wish gameplay-wise it was more polished, but again, there's not much in the way of competition and I've already got The Saboteur, can't think of many other games that have that touch offhand. Shadow of Mordor is neat gamplay-wise and all, but it's not what I'm looking for as it doesn't have that historical tourism touch. I do like LotR and all, but when it comes to fantasy lands I like to be immersed in, Mordor isn't exactly on top of my list. So yeah, there's that. I'd probably play another game that has that historical tourism element to it even if gameplay-wise it didn't have the parkour/stealth elements this game has.

Ureh
09-07-2016, 05:55 AM
@ sixkey. I just saw that your signature no longer have two set of keys. It only have 1 set of keys, now. Was the absent set of keys a second video different from the the other or was the 2 set, two link to see the same video? ^-^

Oh man that's my first time seeing that video! That's a really cool cameo. Is that Harry Standjofski's voice? Nnniiiice!

Thanks for pointing it out.

ERICATHERINE
09-07-2016, 06:44 AM
Oh man that's my first time seeing that video! That's a really cool cameo. Is that Harry Standjofski's voice? Nnniiiice!

You're welcome, but the credits need to go in sixkeys direction, since he is the one who telled me about it. ^-^

Namikaze_17
09-07-2016, 06:58 AM
I sorta find myself in the middle. On one hand, you have the Desmond saga which isn't the most beautifully told story, but at least it had a sense of direction of where the story was going, and we were given purpose for reliving Alta´r, Ezio, and Connor.

AC4, while having a great story in its own right, is utterly pointless to relive since the observatory was rendered useless. There was no reason for it. However, it gets a bit of "pass" since it can be seen as the goodbye, or the calm after the storm. An anime filler after a previous arc. The latest installments, however, can easily be summed up as, "oh we don't need that anymore. It's either long gone or the Templars have it. Thanks for helping!" On the top of that, the MD story is pretty convoluted and slow-paced at this point that I question why it is even around. Like, why stop me on my grind if Juno isn't going to get out for a gazillion years? It's just endless build-up and padding. It's like if Naruto refused to be Hokage after 15 years!

MikeFNY
09-07-2016, 08:01 AM
It's a videogame so there's more than just the story, there's also the fun factor.

I mean, if I am to rephrase the question: would you still play the game if they suddenly revive the animus and modern day story yet turn the game in a FPS?

If the game is fun yet it has little or no modern day elements at all, as it was the case in Unity, I will still appreciate it. Unity has amazing graphics and the best stealth in the whole series so modern day or modern day, animus or no animus, to me, it makes no difference.

Granted, if besides the fun factor it also has a very solid past & future story as it was the case with the Ezio trilogy, even better, but I doubt I would stop playing the series if they make massive changes to the original story.

Helforsite
09-07-2016, 11:12 AM
I would probably not pick up the games at launch and pick them up when they are way cheaper, if it werent for the Modern Day storyline and the Universe they have built.
For me, as much as I like the historical tourism, what really gets me is the conspiracy stuff - which is also why I loved the glyphs and want them back by the way. I just love that moment when Assassin's Creed shows that things didn't happen at all how we think know them to have happened or they happened slightly different and that slight difference - be it in motivation, circumstanc or otherswise - makes a huge difference.
I hear again and again how the Modern Day etc. are messed up and I honestly dont get it, maybe its sound condescending of me, but I always think those people dont get it because it is a little more complicated and if you missed something, something else might not make complete sense, but you dont skip topic in math and expect everything to make sense do you? No, because everything is interconnected, some things more than others.

Fatal-Feit
09-07-2016, 07:22 PM
I hear again and again how the Modern Day etc. are messed up and I honestly dont get it, maybe its sound condescending of me, but I always think those people dont get it because it is a little more complicated and if you missed something, something else might not make complete sense, but you dont skip topic in math and expect everything to make sense do you? No, because everything is interconnected, some things more than others.

There is nothing complicated about plot holes, inconsistent characterization, unresolved plot lines, and unsatisfying endings. Funny enough, the more you actually dig into the MD to understand it, the more you realize its flaws.

Daniel Cross was poorly delivered in AC3, Warren Vidic's death was total BS, Lucy becoming a Templar was so a last minute decision to extend the games, the Templar's satellite plan that started in AC1 had absolutely no pay off and was brushed off, any plot line from Subject 16's warning from The Truth was scrapped and apparently we fans should just take it as pure lunacy, Helix basically removes the need of the Animus, yet the spin-off novels/comics/whatever keep using it because the writers are all spread out with no cohesion. There's so much disappointment that I can go on all day. =/

SixKeys
09-07-2016, 08:04 PM
Daniel Cross was poorly delivered in AC3, Warren Vidic's death was total BS, Lucy becoming a Templar was so a last minute decision to extend the games, the Templar's satellite plan that started in AC1 had absolutely no pay off and was brushed off, any plot line from Subject 16's warning from The Truth was scrapped and apparently we fans should just take it as pure lunacy, Helix basically removes the need of the Animus, yet the spin-off novels/comics/whatever keep using it because the writers are all spread out with no cohesion. There's so much disappointment that I can go on all day. =/

This is the biggest problem, the lack of oversight and cohesion. I thought the series was supposed to have at least one person who keeps track of the lore and makes sure inconsistencies don't slip by. So why is the transmedia universe so confusing? Sometimes comics and novels are canon, except when they're not, sometimes the Helix has replaced the Animus except when it hasn't, sometimes the Animus is a reclining chair, sometimes it's a giant ****ing robot arm, then a chair again, we're not technically supposed to see memories through the eyes of an ancestor after he's dead, except when we do....

SixKeys
09-07-2016, 08:07 PM

Lol, it was an Easter egg sig pointing to an Easter egg vid. :)

Now it looks like everyone's sigs are gone. :( Boo!!

cawatrooper9
09-07-2016, 08:08 PM
There is nothing complicated about plot holes, inconsistent characterization, unresolved plot lines, and unsatisfying endings. Funny enough, the more you actually dig into the MD to understand it, the more you realize its flaws.

Yeah, I mean it's one thing if there are some continuity errors, but these types of dropped plots are big picture errors. Not really much of an excuse for them, a simple trip to the conference room for a storyboard meeting should be enough to get everyone on the same page.

If that did happen, I imagine it went something like this-

Boss: Okay everyone, we have a few overarching threads. Let's see, there's the satellite, some solar flares we'll introduce, the matter of Lucy's allegiance, Desmond's...

AC1 Creative Director: Oh yeah, and that plague in Africa?

Boss: What? No please don't...

AC2 Creative Director: Look, I like this solar flare idea, I say we really roll with it, have Desmond do something with it. But the satellite? Meh.

Boss: Can we all just...

AC3 Creative Director: Let's bring in a random character from the comics? You know those games you guys made a few years ago, it's not too late to retcon an evil Assassin in, is it?

AC4 Creative Director: Who is this Desmond person you people keep bringing up?

Unity Creative Director: Why are we wasting so much time outlining a story, guys?

I'm joking, of course, but it definitely sometimes seems like the gang from Always Sunny was in charge of getting everyone to work together.

ERICATHERINE
09-07-2016, 10:15 PM
Lol, it was an Easter egg sig pointing to an Easter egg vid. :)

Now it looks like everyone's sigs are gone. :( Boo!!

Lucky me I watched your easter egg video, yesterday, before I couldn't anymore. ^-^

dimbismp
09-08-2016, 07:47 PM
It's a double-edged sword.On the one hand you lose the heart and soul of the series:the reason we live all these memories is to help the modern day assassins.This is vital.

However,the MD is really going nowhere atm.Instead,it forces its way into the ancestor's storylines,making each of the last stories "Find the PoE".If there wasn't this restriction,maybe we would get more complex stories about the philosophy of each group etc

ERICATHERINE
09-08-2016, 09:39 PM
Well, if anyone want to see what an ac would look like without the md, I suggest you play or watch video of ac liberation hd. The only part of the game which can consider as md part are when Erudito contact us and this happen only 6 times across the game which can be finnished for the big majority of them in less than 1 minute and tak place in Aveline's time, except for the last which take place in an animus vr like place, if you remember the one in brotherhood.

From my point of view, after playing ac l hd, I think it would not be good for the franchise. And let's not forget that this game is one of the most hated. ^-^

dimbismp
09-09-2016, 12:17 AM
Well ACU and ACS also had minimum MD,but still it dragged their stories a little bit...We are talking about no MD at all.

I guess that the ideal is to have both a meaningful MD that ties with and justifies the Animus time travel AND a complex ancestor story.However,the way MD has been the last 2-3 titles is:

"The MD Templars are after a particular PoE!We need to find it first"
"Oh incidentally we are aware that this PoE appeared during that particular time and place!Oh we have exactly the ancestor we need!How convenient!"
[Actual ancestor story]
[Ancestor story ends up with him fighting against the Templar Grandmaster/Assassin Mentor for the PoE] (This happened in every one of the last 4 games)

So regardless of how good the [Actual ancestor story] is ,it gets predictable and boring towards the end due to the current nature of the MD.So if this is the MD we are going to keep getting,then we shouldn't get any MD at all.

And no,cutting the MD out,doesn't necessarily mean that AC is screwed.Yes the whole Animus thing is the cornerstone of the series,but i personally play ACs for the whole "live a conspiracy between two ancient factions in many interesting settings in History".

Sorrosyss
09-09-2016, 12:37 AM
Technically we've not had a true Animus in a few of the games now. Unity and Syndicate were both generated on a Helix system. :p

Pedantic response aside, the Animus tech, the modern day, the First Civilization - all are hallmarks of the franchise. Ubisoft knows this, which is why all are present in the movie. We need this focus to return to the games themselves. Most of us have seen a decline in the series, especially from the narrative standpoint, but hopefully this extra development time will mean that all of the atypical elements return - but shown in greater detail and quality with the next release. Ubi needs to look back at the earlier games, and reignite the narrative template that so many of us fell in love with. No more floating silent tablets for protagonists either.

ERICATHERINE
09-09-2016, 01:32 AM
Well ACU and ACS also had minimum MD,but still it dragged their stories a little bit...We are talking about no MD at all.

I guess that the ideal is to have both a meaningful MD that ties with and justifies the Animus time travel AND a complex ancestor story.However,the way MD has been the last 2-3 titles is:

"The MD Templars are after a particular PoE!We need to find it first"
"Oh incidentally we are aware that this PoE appeared during that particular time and place!Oh we have exactly the ancestor we need!How convenient!"
[Actual ancestor story]
[Ancestor story ends up with him fighting against the Templar Grandmaster/Assassin Mentor for the PoE] (This happened in every one of the last 4 games)

So regardless of how good the [Actual ancestor story] is ,it gets predictable and boring towards the end due to the current nature of the MD.So if this is the MD we are going to keep getting,then we shouldn't get any MD at all.

And no,cutting the MD out,doesn't necessarily mean that AC is screwed.Yes the whole Animus thing is the cornerstone of the series,but i personally play ACs for the whole "live a conspiracy between two ancient factions in many interesting settings in History".

While I admit some of what you said is true, I have to say it not totally is. In ac unity we weren't fighting for a piece of eden. In fact, Arno Arno didn't know about the sword of eden before seeing German use it. He was just there for both saving Elise (which he failed doing) and killing the murderer of Elise's father. Getting the sword of eden while doing so was just a bonus, even if after that, it worked as a regular sword.

As for liberation hd, it have way less md than even unity and that is at the point that many people consider that game to be a md free ac game. ^-^

Edit. Here, in those 2 video you see the only md related moment of liberation hd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTZBPHQHHio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLVYVGCGakc

In this video from the start until 1 : 22.

And there. Bonus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaJZwRDHW1w

You can sometimes hear an Erudito voice when in the green zone, as you can hear in the video.

Now I don't know for you, but from my point of view it's nearly what I call an ac game with no md. ^-^

Rugterwyper32
09-09-2016, 01:58 AM
Well, if anyone want to see what an ac would look like without the md, I suggest you play or watch video of ac liberation hd. The only part of the game which can consider as md part are when Erudito contact us and this happen only 6 times across the game which can be finnished for the big majority of them in less than 1 minute and tak place in Aveline's time, except for the last which take place in an animus vr like place, if you remember the one in brotherhood.

From my point of view, after playing ac l hd, I think it would not be good for the franchise. And let's not forget that this game is one of the most hated. ^-^

See, I've watched it, and frankly the lack of MD is the least of that game's problems. Story is all over the place and not really cohesive, and not even the "it was originally a portable game" excuse holds up because it still skips around all over the place and in terms of mission design... Yeah, doesn't seem to really work. And the persona system is a good idea, just doesn't seem to be exactly well executed. New Orleans is a nice looking city, though, gotta give it that. But beyond that, I don't see much good in it and no amount of MD would've helped. It'd probably have made things worse, considering how inconsistent it is storywise already. But when I first learned about the little MD it had, I saw that as my ideal AC game in that sense. The fact it seems to be just an overall mediocre game, though... Yeah, it's not really gonna fly with anyone.

I feel I'm one of the people least interested in MD around, the more I think about it. I will agree that it should be something well done and interesting for the sake of the people who like it but honestly? If I think about me alone, I'd say take the leap and leave it behind. I've only been interested in AC1 and AC4 because of the more mystery based take on it, but that's about it, really. And even in those I was hoping to go back into the ancestor parts already by the time I could go back there. Can't say anything about Syndicate's modern story since I don't have it yet (it should arrive in roughly week and a half and then I'll finally catch up!) but from what I hear it won't overstay its welcome for me.

cawatrooper9
09-09-2016, 02:36 PM
Liberation was basically supposed to be a true Abstergo Industries game. Something like the creators we see in ACBF would be working on, or what the player in Unity would have purchased. Instead, though, mostly everything goes right in Liberation, outside of Erudito's influence (which is basically a toned down version of Bishop's introduction in Unity).

So in a way I'd agree that there is little MD in Liberation, but at the same time you could say that out of the games released in 2012, AC3 concluded the Desmond saga while Liberation simultaneously laid the foundation for everything we've gotten since. Whether or not it's a good to lay your foundation of your plot thread with a mobile game... well, I think the current state of MD is a testament to that having been a pretty bad idea.

Megas_Doux
09-12-2016, 12:03 AM
Late to the Party!!!

However not having the restriction of the animus could open possibilities such like choosing the ending ala GTA or The Witcher.

cawatrooper9
09-12-2016, 02:36 PM
Late to the Party!!!

However not having the restriction of the animus could open possibilities such like choosing the ending ala GTA or The Witcher.

As well as having it possible for protags to die, which could be interesting.

I don't know, though, it just wouldn't feel like Assassins Creed to me. I'm sure the series has different pillars for different people, but the Animus is one of the first things we learn about in the very first game, and it's been influential in almost every game since. I just don't see it being cut.