PDA

View Full Version : Attacking without locking on?

topeira1980
08-28-2016, 11:01 AM
Hi guys.

just wondering if anyone knows what happens if you attack another Hero without locking into him (without holding the Guard button: L2 or Left trigger)?

from this clip it looks like it creates faster combos or faster attacks or something:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-HCcoOKlhg
The uploader barely locks into his enemies. He seem to button mash and it works really well for him. Probably his rivals arent very good blockers and they never parry but it seems like button mashing without locking have a good effect on the attacks.

I wonder if the direction of them is random or dictated somehow.... or if they are weaker than locked on attacks.

iHunny
08-28-2016, 11:33 AM
You attack the direction your moving, he probably uses light attacks that do not get guarded, light attacks are fast. From what I understand they do as much damage as a lock-on attack.

handheld brando
08-28-2016, 01:35 PM
If you attack while not locked on you will attack in whatever direction you are facing and you will be unable to change the direction of the attack until you lock back on.

While I can't say too much about the alphas, I can say that breaking lock to run away and attack is a very VERY bad idea. If an enemy manages to hit you while you are unlocked you will not be able to defend yourself at all and they can chain attack you and guard break spam you to death until you return to lock. Fleeing is possible as however but not recommended because of other factors that people will find in game.

topeira1980
08-28-2016, 05:07 PM
If you attack while not locked on you will attack in whatever direction you are facing and you will be unable to change the direction of the attack until you lock back on.

It kinda looks like when you are not locked the attacks have a random direction, which seems almost as effective as changing directions manually in a random fashion if you are trying to confuse the human enemy. But by NOT locking on you might have more freedom to attack different opponents because you just move towards them and it might be easier to switch between the enemies you attack if you are NOT locked (like in the very end where he defeats two enemies https://youtu.be/Y-HCcoOKlhg?t=349)

And it looks like a quick 2-hit-combat of right-left or left-right can be done if you attack in a determined direction and then remove the lock for the next attack, or simply dont lock at all, like here:
https://youtu.be/Y-HCcoOKlhg?t=304

While I can't say too much about the alphas, I can say that breaking lock to run away and attack is a very VERY bad idea. If an enemy manages to hit you while you are unlocked you will not be able to defend yourself at all and they can chain attack you and guard break spam you to death until you return to lock. Fleeing is possible as however but not recommended because of other factors that people will find in game.

well, obviously you can't block if you are not in lock on (guard) mode, but if you are not in lock on mode than you can still see the enemy's attack direction, so it shouldnt be hard to simply hold the guard button with the proper direction while the enemy is attacking you. and i would imagine the guard break wont work if you are not guarding, no?

iHunny
08-28-2016, 05:13 PM
well, obviously you can't block if you are not in lock on (guard) mode, but if you are not in lock on mode than you can still see the enemy's attack direction, so it shouldnt be hard to simply hold the guard button with the proper direction while the enemy is attacking you. and i would imagine the guard break wont work if you are not guarding, no?

You switch wich direction to guard with your right analog stick. If your not in gaurd mode you change camera angle with the right analog stick.

topeira1980
08-28-2016, 05:28 PM
You switch wich direction to guard with your right analog stick. If your not in guard mode you change camera angle with the right analog stick.

true, but once you hold the GUARD button you immediately lock into the enemy, no matter where you were facing (unless you were facing another enemy). and if you are not guarding and you can tell from which direction the enemy is attacking from than this means you are facing the general direction of the attacking enemy so if you hold guard and immediately push the right stick in the proper direction - you will block in the middle of his combo.

topeira1980
08-28-2016, 06:45 PM
You switch wich direction to guard with your right analog stick. If your not in guard mode you change camera angle with the right analog stick.

true, but once you hold the GUARD button you immediately lock into the enemy, no matter where you were facing (unless you were facing another enemy). and if you are not guarding and you can tell from which direction the enemy is attacking from than this means you are facing the general direction of the attacking enemy so if you hold guard and immediately push the right stick in the proper direction - you will block in the middle of his combo.

handheld brando
08-29-2016, 10:40 AM
Since I can't really go into specifics I will say that if you break lock in combat your enemy will get a few certain advantages that they can use against you. The biggest one being that you can't defend any of their attacks. Period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQCmX3GySYQ

In this video at 1 minute you can see one of them.

true, but once you hold the GUARD button you immediately lock into the enemy, no matter where you were facing (unless you were facing another enemy)

That is incorrect.

If you are not close enough or do not have your enemy either directly in front of you or slightly to your left or right then you will not lock onto them.
It also takes a split second to actually get into full guard stance so what you said above would not work because if they attacked from the left and you go immediately go into guard stance on the right. You will not have enough time to block it and they will hit you.