PDA

View Full Version : Where was it stated that AC was supposed to be a trilogy?

joshoolhorst
08-27-2016, 03:32 PM
I hear this alot but I can't find the source?
According to the things I hear it's AC1, AC2 and in AC3 100% Modern Day. But things changed when Patrice got fired and AC2 was a big profit can somebody make this clear to me thank you.

LoyalACFan
08-27-2016, 04:20 PM
I don't think it was ever laid out as "let's do three games and then stop forever," because that's not really how AAA franchises work, but the Desmond/doomsday arc was obviously supposed to be a trilogy concluding in 2012. Brotherhood was basically cut content from AC2 (they had originally planned to include the full city of Rome and end it in 1503, as per the novel) and Revelations was supposed to be a DS game called Lost Legacy, so you can pretty easily do the math on that.

As for AC3 originally being fully modern day, I'm not sure if that's really the case. According to Nolan North (during a Comic-Con panel I think, sorry, I can't remember exactly) they were kicking around the idea that Desmond, after reliving enough of his ancestor's memories, would become the ultimate Assassin able to actually travel through time. And Patrice mentioned after Unity was announced that he was planning to do the French Revolution eventually (hence the Masonic Eye/Phrygian Cap clue in ACB pointing to the Declaration of the Rights of Man) so whether that was going to be his version of AC3, or some future game down the road... We may never know. TBH I'm really pleased that they didn't didn't take the time travel route. I'm kind of put off by the direction of the sci-fi stuff at the moment anyway, but I think it can get back on track in Empire. Time travel would have just been a leap too far IMO.

joshoolhorst
08-27-2016, 04:44 PM
I don't think it was ever laid out as "let's do three games and then stop forever," because that's not really how AAA franchises work, but the Desmond/doomsday arc was obviously supposed to be a trilogy concluding in 2012. Brotherhood was basically cut content from AC2 (they had originally planned to include the full city of Rome and end it in 1503, as per the novel) and Revelations was supposed to be a DS game called Lost Legacy, so you can pretty easily do the math on that.

As for AC3 originally being fully modern day, I'm not sure if that's really the case. According to Nolan North (during a Comic-Con panel I think, sorry, I can't remember exactly) they were kicking around the idea that Desmond, after reliving enough of his ancestor's memories, would become the ultimate Assassin able to actually travel through time. And Patrice mentioned after Unity was announced that he was planning to do the French Revolution eventually (hence the Masonic Eye/Phrygian Cap clue in ACB pointing to the Declaration of the Rights of Man) so whether that was going to be his version of AC3, or some future game down the road... We may never know. TBH I'm really pleased that they didn't didn't take the time travel route. I'm kind of put off by the direction of the sci-fi stuff at the moment anyway, but I think it can get back on track in Empire. Time travel would have just been a leap too far IMO.

I found it weird that the novel stated it was 1503 or that Rodrigo poisons himself but I don't really consider the books canon
Revelations wasn't really a big reveal get it lol yeah the math is simple:)
I'm also kind off put off by the direction of the sci-fi story at this point I personally IMHO am even surprised that it still exist after the hole first person view.

Megas_Doux
08-27-2016, 04:59 PM
Pretty much what LoyalACFan says.

And you know, at this point even though I truly enjoyed ACR -cannot say the same about Brotherhood- I wish those games had not existed.....

SpiritOfNevaeh
08-27-2016, 05:01 PM
I remember it was in this video he mentioned about Desmond, original plans, time travel and stuff. At around 34:00:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_kbIon1G98

LoyalACFan
08-27-2016, 05:23 PM
^Nice, thanks Spirit.

I found it weird that the novel stated it was 1503 or that Rodrigo poisons himself but I don't really consider the books canon.

Well, the novels are semi-canon; basically, whatever they say is canon unless contradicted by the games. So originally, AC2 was probably supposed to end with Rodrigo poisoning himself after losing to Ezio in the Vault (in 1503 versus 1499).

m4r-k7
08-27-2016, 05:28 PM
I remember it was in this video he mentioned about Desmond, original plans, time travel and stuff. At around 34:00:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_kbIon1G98

I love peoples reaction to it - it really would have made things more interesting.

The biggest thing wrong with the modern day was the handling of Desmond towards the end. I mean he went into the memories of some of the greatest Assassins and we never got to fully experience being the "Ultimate Assassin" - He had the exact skill sets to Ezio and Connor (depending on the game). I remember thinking whilst playing AC 2 for the first time "I can't wait to play as Desmond once he has skills of both Ezio and Altair!" - But it never happened :(

Megas_Doux
08-27-2016, 05:56 PM
The biggest thing wrong with the modern day was the handling of Desmond towards the end. I mean he went into the memories of some of the greatest Assassins and we never got to fully experience being the "Ultimate Assassin" - He had the exact skill sets to Ezio and Connor (depending on the game). I remember thinking whilst playing AC 2 for the first time "I can't wait to play as Desmond once he has skills of both Ezio and Altair!" - But it never happened :(

Problem with modern day is that stealth mechanics were THAT underdeveloped any infiltration scenario ended up looking cringeworthy and super outdated. Any mission in MGS 2: Sons of Liberty - a 2001 game- played better than the infamous Abstergo infiltration.....

SixKeys
08-28-2016, 11:23 PM
I think the "time travel" comment was just Nolan's interpretation of things. I can't see the series going that far, not when the science behind the Animus is grounded enough to sound believable (though of course we'll never know for sure). I believe he meant Desmond would eventually unlock the ability to jump between different time periods in the Animus - or through the Bleeding Effect - and view ancestral memories without restrictions, any place, any time. Like fast-forwarding effortlessly between Alta´r and Ezio, for example.