PDA

View Full Version : That parkour animation that never happens in Unity

phoenix-force411
08-26-2016, 05:45 AM
Just wondering, but have any of you Unity players ever came across this parkour animation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYzD0e0f1rY

From my experience, this parkour animation from the E3 demo never happens on a regular occasion.

nukelukespuke34
08-26-2016, 08:11 AM
Whoa. That's nuts, I've never had that happen in my playthrough. It might be something that's extremely situational, that only triggers when you're jumping from a rope onto a ledge from just the right height, at just the right angle. I wonder how many more of these "secret" animations are out there.

LoyalACFan
08-26-2016, 09:26 AM
It's probably in there, it's just a rarity to see it because the situation in the video almost never happens. I mean, 99% of the places where you can do a monkey-bar swing like that just lead onto another flat surface parallel with the bar. That building he swung off onto is at a really janky angle, and swings like that basically never happen in gameplay. It's odd that they have an animation specifically for that scenario tbh, unless there was originally an angle like that on the way up one of the major landmarks and they wanted the dismount to look stylish.

Fatal-Feit
08-26-2016, 12:45 PM
It's a close range controlled descend animation that triggers from swinging off polls or ropes and there's isn't a wall in front.

https://twitter.com/Jager_Bradley/status/726326735428440064

pacmanate
08-26-2016, 02:14 PM
Never personally tried to parkour from that dodgy angle but it's nice to know that we can do weird angular parkour

cawatrooper9
08-26-2016, 02:38 PM
I'll have to give that a try.

I'm trying to finish watching Death Note before they take it off Netflix on the 31st, and then I want to finish The Last of Us, but this short video has really whet my appetite to play some Unity...

nukelukespuke34
08-27-2016, 12:56 AM
So I was playing around in Unity and by sheer chance, I somehow found the exact same spot as the OP. Its here:

http://i.imgur.com/FUaHwwU.jpg

Now I played around with it and tried to get that animation, but as I suspected, its extremely difficult and situational. If you're too far or too close to the building the rope is attached to, Arno won't jump; in fact, he'll just climb back on top of the rope. You have to be a very specific distance from the edge of the building. I've only been able to get that animation a handful of times, and even when it works, sometimes Arno will just swing from the rope to the ledge WITHOUT doing the spin. Not sure if its random or you have to do something specific to get that spin.

It makes me really wonder why this animation was put in when its near impossible to do, when there are so many more animations they could have done to smooth out the parkour.

Megas_Doux
08-27-2016, 04:36 PM
This reminds me of how unnoticed the vaulting animation was in AC I. Unnoticed to a point if was removed from the Ezio Trilogy.

Farlander1991
08-27-2016, 05:01 PM
This reminds me of how unnoticed the vaulting animation was in AC I. Unnoticed to a point if was removed from the Ezio Trilogy.

The vaulting animation of AC1 wasn't very good though and looked buggy, kinda looked like it was something unfinished that somehow stayed in the game. So see no problems removing that.

Unless however you mean vaulting across market stalls, which was very cool in AC1 but for some reason also absent from Ezio's games.

Megas_Doux
08-27-2016, 05:18 PM
The vaulting animation of AC1 wasn't very good though and looked buggy, kinda looked like it was something unfinished that somehow stayed in the game. So see no problems removing that.

Unless however you mean vaulting across market stalls, which was very cool in AC1 but for some reason also absent from Ezio's games.

Both in fact. You know, funny thing is people that movement myself included. I didn't discovered it until like 2009 haha,

m4r-k7
08-27-2016, 05:19 PM
Its a really awesome move, I've done it a few times actually - it just depends on the situation.

SpiritOfNevaeh
08-27-2016, 05:40 PM
Dang, all this chatter makes me want to play Unity again. :p

Ureh
11-02-2016, 07:27 PM
Reminded of this thread when the animation happened by accident in ACS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Af0psIBTOQ

Locopells
11-02-2016, 08:16 PM
Just to add, I've had it happen a couple of times, since I got started.

http://i.imgur.com/8kKFfrZ.jpg (https://support.ubi.com)
Thanks to strigoi1958 for the sig!

cawatrooper9
11-03-2016, 03:08 PM
"That parkour animation that never happens in Unity".

Somehow I was expecting this to be about when you input controls for Arno to go through a window and it actually happens. :p

Ureh
11-03-2016, 06:34 PM
ACU will prioritize entering windows if you hold L2/LT while moving towards it (not sure what the button on PC is, but we should be able to rebind it). I think the ACS L1/LB button prompt is a good reminder but so far I've always had to stop moving for it to appear which kinda breaks momentum especially once the player is more acquainted with the controls. Whereas ACU's window movement/controls are more responsive but the pop-up tutorial disappears too quickly (and most players probably don't read the e-manual). ACS allows us to jump through some windows with the rope launcher, which feels awesome.

cawatrooper9
11-03-2016, 08:29 PM
ACU will prioritize entering windows if you hold L2/LT while moving towards it (not sure what the button on PC is, but we should be able to rebind it). I think the ACS L1/LB button prompt is a good reminder but so far I've always had to stop moving for it to appear which kinda breaks momentum especially once the player is more acquainted with the controls. Whereas ACU's window movement/controls are more responsive but the pop-up tutorial disappears too quickly (and most players probably don't read the e-manual). ACS allows us to jump through some windows with the rope launcher, which feels awesome.

I know, I personally haven't had much trouble with it.

I was just making a funny, as I know a lot of people complained about this. :p

But thanks!

BananaBlighter
11-03-2016, 10:15 PM

EXACTLY! I thought I was the only person who preferred how it was in Unity because it allowed for more flow. Didn't understand it when people kept claiming that entering widows had been improved in Syndicate.

Ureh
11-04-2016, 02:29 AM
I know, I personally haven't had much trouble with it.

I was just making a funny, as I know a lot of people complained about this. :p

But thanks!

Oh my bad man. I was pretty tired when I made that post so couldn't decide whether or not it was a joke. That smiley was a big hint but I just totally glazed right over it.

EXACTLY! I thought I was the only person who preferred how it was in Unity because it allowed for more flow. Didn't understand it when people kept claiming that entering widows had been improved in Syndicate.

Right on, BB.