PDA

View Full Version : The Essence of the Assassin's Creed universe; Jesper Kyd.

SH3RIFFO
08-26-2016, 04:08 AM
Hello everyone,

I don't know how, but if it's possible to forward this message to the highest position in the AC's development Team, I and many others would appreciate it greatly. I'm sure many would agree with this post, especially if you have been on board since the first original Assassin's Creed game.

I love this series, very much. A huge fan. I own all of the core games, and have enjoyed playing and mastering all of them. The latest being Syndicate, was a brilliant game with a huge beautiful world. That being said, I couldn't help but feel something different and somewhat empty in the end. Come to think of it more, I realized I have been feeling this even before, somewhere around ACIV.

I have recently decided to replay all the games in chronological order in preparation for the upcoming movie. By doing this, I have realized what has been troubling me for the longest of time. It was the lack of a certain member in the development team, an artist by the name of Jesper Kyd.

I have come to realize that most of us, have started playing the series in the released timeline of AC1 to ACR. By the time ACIII and ACIV came, the fan base has been loyal and huge. And when any of us tend to replay the first original games of Altair and Ezio, we immediately fall into Nostalgia. But what I realized most importantly is that it wasn't so much the old games' location, character, or story that had the biggest impact on the series - don't get me wrong, they all did, and they are unbelievably un-replaceable - but rather it was the music of the games that captured us into the core of the Assassin universe .

The ambiance, the hype, the perfect combination of incredible instruments that swallowed us deeply into the likes of the franchise. Yet I realize now, that it has been the magical and extremely impressive work of Jesper Kyd who has done this - created the perfect atmosphere for the Assassin's Creed universe.

Starting in the original Assassin's Creed with Altair, the crusades period songs like 'City of Jerusalem', 'Acre Underworld', and 'The Bureau.'

As well as in Assassin's Creed II with songs like 'Earth', 'Leonardo's Inventions', and the unforgettable piece; 'Ezio's Family.'

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood also delivered jems like 'City of Rome,' 'Echoes of the Roman Ruins' and 'Desmond Miles.'

Last but definitely not least, was the epic unforgettable finale brought by Assassin's Creed Revelations with over 80 pieces like 'Assassin's Creed Theme' and 'Labored and Lost'.

The Franchise was blended beautifully with the perfect development teams that created such a universe that offered incredible story telling, immersive gameplay, and unforgettable music. That being said, I feel like that amazing spark started to slowly lose its light as the years went on. The games started to become more modern, and lost their rich ancient feel. Assassin's Creed III was great, and refreshing. ACIV was decent, however ironically started to 'drift' away from the Assassin feel. ACRogue was very good. My least two favorites are Unity and Syndicate's soundtracks. They fit the games, but did not capture my emotion or interest.

Jesper Kyd, he implemented emotion into his music. His work has imprinted on us. One hear of the songs I mentioned above and I'm sure you'll fall into nostalgia. I for one do, and always get the shivers from it. The music is rich, powerful, and unforgettable.

That being said, there are rumors that the next 2017 project will be set in Egypt. Let's talk...
Jesper Kyd perfectly fit the themes for the Middle Eastern settings in the Holy Land crusades as well as Constantinople, Turkey. Not to mention Italy and Rome's ancient setting. I believe Jesper Kyd is the perfect addition to refresh the series and return the spark we all miss undoubtedly, and secretly crave on the inside. Imagine an Egyptian theme made by the same man who did the score for AC1 to ACR. Hearing more rumors that this upcoming game will be set in Egypt as a slave character, only attracts such wishful thinking. Imagine an Egyptian atmospheric tune made by Jesper Kyd.

I think this will be a great change to go back to the roots of Assassin's Creed.
The ambiance is deeply missed and unheard of in the newer games.
The soundtrack of the first 4 games is captivating.

It would not only be great to have him back, but we need him back to breathe his magic into the franchise once more. Jesper Kyd was the essence of the Assassin's Creed's atmosphere.

Thank you for reading.

PS: If you have connections with the development team, please forward them this message in hopes for them to contact Jesper Kyd and arrange a collaboration. The future of the series can depend on this.

Anykeyer
08-26-2016, 10:37 PM
I dont remember a single tune from Unity or Syndicate, the music was so generic and unremarkable. Rogue OST beats both of those games easily. Well, its a better game in almost every way.

Razrback16
08-31-2016, 03:47 PM
Agreed, OP - and I've mentioned this in numerous reviews of the games over the years. Jesper Kyd just nailed the music in those earlier games and it triggers an emotional aspect / attachment to the games that make them even better and more meaningful. Sure hope they bring that guy back. The music for AC2 / ACB was absolutely fantastic.