PDA

View Full Version : Hackers in UBI chat

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 10:44 PM
Someone has hacked the UBI chat so that they can change their name to someone else and post messages as if that person was chatting. They then use that person's ID to flood the room with random characters or say the most offensive possible things they can think of.

Is there anything we can do about this? I want to still see the messages from the person who actually owns the ID, so I don't want to use the IGNORE feature. What else can I do, especially if I become the victim of this hack?

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 10:44 PM
Someone has hacked the UBI chat so that they can change their name to someone else and post messages as if that person was chatting. They then use that person's ID to flood the room with random characters or say the most offensive possible things they can think of.

Is there anything we can do about this? I want to still see the messages from the person who actually owns the ID, so I don't want to use the IGNORE feature. What else can I do, especially if I become the victim of this hack?

XyZspineZyX
11-12-2003, 04:00 PM
sightreader, welcome to one of UBIs (many) notorious screw ups. When UBI.com game service manager was made, they had the incredibly bright idea to use IRC as their method for providing chat. Then just after one of the devs finished his daily ounce of reefer, they had the bright idea to not put a password on the stupid thing! Thus making access to the chat completely public to anyone with basic mIRC skills, (if you can call the skills) so they can change their name with mIRC and login that way, instead of needing the ubi software to do it. If you think this is ******ed on UBIs part, get this, then they give admin rights or something to that effect to anyone with a UBI_ prefix in their name, so ghosters can ban and kick you from chat and impose as real admins. Even better, they don't CARE, and juding by the Raven Shield disaster, I am not surprised. My suggestion; don't talk in chat.

EDIT: I don't belive the IGNORE feature will work on these hackers, referred to as "ghosters"

Message Edited on 11/12/0310:01AM by DOW_Silver

XyZspineZyX
11-13-2003, 05:58 PM
We are trying to get this looked into.

<FONT COLOR="Lime">UbiSoft/GR Forum Moderator</FONT>
<font face="verdana" size="1" color="orange">ICQ:158984699</font>
Email Me (johnpain@ssth.com)
<FONT COLOR="red"><U>UBI-Terms of Use</U> (http://www.ubi.com/US/Info/TermsOfUse.htm)</font>
<FONT COLOR="yellow"><U>Forum Guidelines</U> (http://www.ubi.com/US/CommunityZone/Forums/guidelines)</font>

<FONT COLOR="red"><U>SevenSteps Forum</U> (http://ssth.com/forums)</font>

XyZspineZyX
11-13-2003, 06:30 PM
Good news! Thank you so much for attending to this: hopefully it won't be a catastrophically difficult fix. This loophole allows these guys to violate every rule you guys try to enforce in UBI, and, being juvenile, they use it to try to offend and anger as many people as they can.

XyZspineZyX
11-15-2003, 04:09 AM
amdrocks wrote:
- We are trying to get this looked into.

Well that is good to know...I understand it can be difficult to rework a system from its original design, your not fixing a problem, your pathing a hole thats been there from the beginning