PDA

View Full Version : Lefties

ZenBearV13
08-23-2016, 08:33 PM
How difficult would it be to flip a character around and make them left handed? It's great that women and different ethnicities are being represented in games more and more these days, but apart from Monster Hunter and Link from Legend of Zelda I can't think of many games that include left-handed characters. I know when I play Monster Hunter (one of my favorite games) it bugs me that my character is left handed because I'm a righty, so I expect there are plenty of lefties out there who feel irritated at not being represented.

Seth-Abercromby
08-23-2016, 08:46 PM
A quickie on Monster hunter, the hunters are actually ambidextrous and change their primary hand depending on the weapon. The two Lances are leftie weapons alongside the sword and shield, each carrying the shield on the right arm, but the Longsword, Greatsword and Switch Axe all use the right hand as the primary.

To answer your question though, it takes essentially a completely new set of animations to make a character left-handed, almost doubling the amount of animation work for each character, especially if they also come with a female model. I know it seems a very innocent request to make, but you're really asking for a lot of work which has very little impact on the actual game.

Fatal-Feit
08-23-2016, 10:03 PM
I think having the option to switch between right or left handed characters could create some problems with reading and mastering the heroes' animations. Could be wrong, though.

yote224
08-24-2016, 12:13 AM
A quickie on Monster hunter, the hunters are actually ambidextrous and change their primary hand depending on the weapon. The two Lances are leftie weapons alongside the sword and shield, each carrying the shield on the right arm, but the Longsword, Greatsword and Switch Axe all use the right hand as the primary.

Judging by the ranged classes they're right eye dominant then as that determines your "handedness" in shooting bow or bowguns. Neat.

Pallbearer7
08-24-2016, 12:37 AM
Yeah, this would be really awesome, but it would get tough really fast in terms of the animations of OTHER characters also having to reverse and change to match any other opponent on the field, I think that'd be too messy to program and might even take unnecessary computing and such. I think it's unlikely.

Seth-Abercromby
08-24-2016, 03:16 AM
Judging by the ranged classes they're right eye dominant then as that determines your "handedness" in shooting bow or bowguns. Neat.

True, but I think the major reason they didn't introduce the Bow as a left eye dominant weapon is because of the armor design. A lot of Gunner armor sets feature a shield-like gauntlet on the left arm, which makes sense since it is the front arm when using a weapon with the right eye being dominant. Making ranged weapons both left and right-eye dominant would mean that they would have to lose that particular unique selling point for Gunner armor sets.

Otherwise, the design team seems to have a lot of interest in creating an equal share of left and right-handed weapons for the sake of visual diversity and a nice tidbit for people to enjoy themselves with. Another factor which they prbably also factored in is that people with left-handed weapons are more likely to circle around the right side of a monster, while people with right-handed weapons tend to do the opposite as the placement would allow them to get into range of their target segments sooner. This way, you naturally split teams up a little to avoid them clustering up too much around the same spot for the most part.

Not that Gunlancers like me won't ever not get called a stupid noob for full bursting into a monster while they were in a visual dead spot on the opposite side and ended up getting send flying away, even though I ate their Greatsword uppercut like 3 times already. But... this is not the place to rant about people in a completely different game series.

DraxeI
08-24-2016, 06:25 AM
I'd rather have the devs prioritize work on dissolving the gender-lock before thinking about "representing" left/right-handed people