PDA

View Full Version : Dirty strategy to win Syndicate races

D.I.D.
08-22-2016, 10:12 PM
When Syndicate first came out, I was writing tips about how to win (minimise collisions, only use ram when you're coming up to a bottleneck (if at all), close down angles, keep pumping the Boost button constantly even when turning corners, etc). A lot of people slack off the Boost on corners or even brake, but that's not the right thing for Syndicate's coach races -- speed pulls you through the corners, and it's never a handicap to your driving. That's the tactic set for honest driving. If you're still having problems, I've just been exploiting a factor about AI behaviour on this replay which might help you. You can use enemy AI by deliberately driving into a police coach during the race. Police are programmed to run you very close when in pursuit, but ultimately let you get away. Their aggressive driving is very useful in races because their behaviour is set to make it feel like you're being pursued, so they weave around behind you to make these chases exciting. That behaviour combined with their toughness is a devastating to your fellow race competitors. They can't easily get past the police, and therefore can't easily get past you.The other, even more effective trick is to use friendly AI. Once you've liberated an area, you've got a lot of recruitable friends on the streets. If you recruit an ally and drive away on a coach, you've probably noticed that they immediately acquire their own coach and drive with you. Again, you can exploit this. If you drive holding down accelerate and tapping boost as always but combine it with continuous taps on the Recruit button, you will gather allies as you drive past. Within seconds, you'll have your crew driving with you. (NB - Once you have maxed out your followers, stop recruiting!) Again, they're programmed to drive very close to you, but not to mimic any aggression like the police do. Once you've maxed your number of simultaneous recruits, you'll have a block of friendly coaches driving very close at your rear, constantly obstructing the other racers. There's always one race leader who drives the fastest out of the race pack, and he/she is the only one who will give you any trouble at all. That one driver is now very easy to defeat.

D.I.D.
08-22-2016, 10:30 PM
Apologies for the wall of text. Sometimes the Ubi forums decide that my post won't have any line breaks, and there's nothing I can do to force them back in with Edit either.

Ureh
08-23-2016, 04:35 AM
I'll need to give that a try if I ever see a copper on the race track.

I've only tried less than handful of races so I'm not even sure if we're allowed to climb on top of the carriage and shoot their horses (or use bombs)? Probably not. It'd be too easy if we were allowed to directly incapacitate the other drivers.

Ubi-Banshee
08-23-2016, 03:14 PM
Nice strategy! Thanks for sharing ;)

MikeFNY
08-24-2016, 08:05 AM
I'll be honest, races in Syndicate don't really respect the Creed's "We work in the dark to serve the light" but they were fun, I remember struggling with only one of them, the rest were pretty straightforward although the way the AI recovers in case he crashes was a little bit, shall I say "unfair"? :)

PS: Just noticed that I have what appears to be a rabbit under my name or a thumb with two big ears :) Whatever it is I want to change it, I tried from the settings page but it seems my Avatar cannot be changed.

LoyalACFan
08-24-2016, 11:11 AM
I'll be honest, races in Syndicate don't really respect the Creed's "We work in the dark to serve the light" but they were fun.

Good thing Jacob's too thick to understand the Creed :p

pacmanate
08-24-2016, 02:14 PM
Good thing Jacob's too thick to understand the Creed :p

Wait wait wait... There's a Creed now?!

cawatrooper9
08-24-2016, 03:26 PM
This actually kind of cracks me up. I'll have to try it sometime.

D.I.D.
08-24-2016, 05:34 PM
I'll be honest, races in Syndicate don't really respect the Creed's "We work in the dark to serve the light" but they were fun, I remember struggling with only one of them, the rest were pretty straightforward although the way the AI recovers in case he crashes was a little bit, shall I say "unfair"? :)

PS: Just noticed that I have what appears to be a rabbit under my name or a thumb with two big ears :) Whatever it is I want to change it, I tried from the settings page but it seems my Avatar cannot be changed.

Me neither. Aside from the weirdness about accelerating around corners actually making you more stable, it mostly just required the usual driving game standards: don't knock into things, maintain a straight line forwards as often as you can, don't waste too much time turning, and use the environment and oncoming traffic to snare your enemies. But a lot of people did find this really hard, I guess because it's never been a required skill in AC before really.

The AI recovery is unfair, but I can't remember a single driving game that didn't use sleight of hand to put your opponents in competitive positions. They have to do it to keep the game fun.

As far as The Creed goes, you're right but that got me thinking -- we *see* a lot of monastic assassins dedicated to the creed, but we always seem to *be* that one person who disobeys it all. Altair ran against the Creed so hard that his only way to come back in and stay there was to rewrite the rulebook, Ezio just stomped all over it before briefly coming to heel and then flying off shouting "bastardo" and napalming the world's biggest port, Connor was too busy trying to influence a revolution to be respectful of the Creed (and besides that, he had no Brotherhood), Aveline rebelled against the assassins and her own family (but on balance, good call), Edward kept one foot out of the whole business and played it like punk rock, Arno caught feelings and alcoholism, and Jacob and Evie ignored the prohibition against working in London and broke it all open in the most public way possible. And then there was Shay, and you know how that went. About the only assassins who we saw trying to stay lowkey were Adéwalé and Lydia.

Megas_Doux
08-25-2016, 12:49 AM
Wait wait wait... There's a Creed now?!

There's not been a Creed since like AC II or ACB haha.

shamano79
08-25-2016, 10:04 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/whaaa.gif