PDA

View Full Version : Have a NEC FP2141 Monitor...?

swambast
08-03-2004, 12:16 PM
...did you have to tweak your monitor a lot to get it to work right? How do you feel about some people making comments like these - would you agree or disagree? http://www.shopping.com/xPR-NEC_MultiSync_FP2141SB_22_in Thanks for any insight...!

swambast
08-03-2004, 12:16 PM
...did you have to tweak your monitor a lot to get it to work right? How do you feel about some people making comments like these - would you agree or disagree? http://www.shopping.com/xPR-NEC_MultiSync_FP2141SB_22_in Thanks for any insight...!

ddsflyer
08-03-2004, 12:34 PM
I think this monitor is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It is sharp, clear, bright, just about perfect. As with any monitor you have to adjust the screen geometry initially to each resolution and color depth you use. After that, just enjoy. Like any Trinitron type tube there are 2 faint horizontal screen lines caused by internal bracing wires inside the CRT. I never notice them at all even when using a white page document. I gusee I just tune them out. If I look for them they are visible but certainly not noticeable.

P4 3.4GHz Northwood
Intel D875PBZ
ATI Radeon X800XT PT
1.0GB Kingston HyperX PC3200
W.D. Dual 80GB SATA RAID
Plextor PX-708A
Lite-On 52x
Creative Audigy2 ZS
NEC FP2141SB

ddsflyer
08-03-2004, 12:37 PM
Since Sony stopped making the F520, the FP2141SB is arguably the best 21"/22" Crt monitor available anywhere at any price.

P4 3.4GHz Northwood
Intel D875PBZ
ATI Radeon X800XT PT
1.0GB Kingston HyperX PC3200
W.D. Dual 80GB SATA RAID
Plextor PX-708A
Lite-On 52x
Creative Audigy2 ZS
NEC FP2141SB

swambast
08-26-2004, 09:10 AM
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-sad.gif Well, I broke down and ordered the NEC 2141, and have had nothing but disappointment and problems, unfortunately. When bringing up vibrant white backgrounds, the white screen quickly washes out into a dull gray. I have returned the monitor, and received a replacement, which does exactly the same thing. NEC reports it may be a bad production line of monitors. Other than that, I am at a total loss as to why this is occuring. I hooked up my "old" Sony 19" Trinitron, and it looks and works great, with no loss in visual quality. I am going to try the monitor on another computer this weekend to see if it makes a difference. Well, anyone that might have any suggestions, I'm wide open. Otherwise, I might ship it back one final time and go for the ViewSonic P225FB instead. God, what a big let down... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

the_pool_guy
08-26-2004, 11:00 AM
I treated myself to the flatscreen Viewsonic 20.1" TFT and - WOW - it is great. FB has never looked so good. It's expensive but there is no slow down and it's highly recommended.

Jay

Forgotten Battles changed my life...

ddsflyer
08-26-2004, 12:27 PM
I'm really sorry to hear that. I have had nothing but perfect performance from mine. Recently, Maximum PC Magazine voted the NEC FE2111SB their "Best of the Best" hardware. That is the same monitor as the FB 2141SB only less expensive with slightly lower supported resolution and refresh rates. It uses the exact same picture tube. You might try that one.

P4 3.4GHz Northwood
Intel D875PBZ
ATI Radeon X800XT PE
1.0GB OCZ Platinum PC3200
W.D. Dual 80GB SATA RAID
Plextor PX-708A
Lite-On 52x
Creative Audigy2 ZS
NEC FP2141SB

ZG77_Nagual
08-26-2004, 12:30 PM
I've got the 2111SB and it rocks - also looks quite cool.

stubby
08-26-2004, 12:52 PM
It's not hype. The three different modes of brilliant illumination had a profound impact on how Il2 looks. The color is super rich with the NEC. I've had plenty of monitors (Dell, Gateway, and Viewsonic) and this by far blows them all way.

ddsflyer
08-28-2004, 06:01 PM
Maximum PC Magazine in their latest issue just reviewed the Viewsonic P225FP and did not have kind things to say about it compared to the NEC.

P4 3.4GHz Northwood
Intel D875PBZ
ATI Radeon X800XT PE
W.D. Dual 80GB SATA RAID
Plextor PX-708A
Lite-On 52x
Creative Audigy2 ZS
NEC FP2141SB

Jagdgeschwader2
08-28-2004, 06:53 PM
I'm looking at moving up to a 21" also at the moment and the NEC 2111SB in black looks like the winner from all the reviews I have read.
Amazon.com has it for $592.00 at the moment.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000068IG5/qid=1093740370/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl23/104-2075817-9694362?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846

http://home.earthlink.net/~jagdgeschwader26/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/jagdgeschwader2s.jpg

A speck of dirt on your windscreen could turn into an enemy fighter in the time it took to look round and back again. A little smear on your goggles might hide the plane that was coming in to kill you.
Derek Robinson
From the book Piece of Cake.

ddsflyer
08-28-2004, 09:10 PM
Good choice. I just like being able to run at 1200x1600x32 at 90hz and above.

P4 3.4GHz Northwood
Intel D875PBZ
ATI Radeon X800XT PE
W.D. Dual 80GB SATA RAID
Plextor PX-708A
Lite-On 52x
Creative Audigy2 ZS
NEC FP2141SB

panther3485
08-28-2004, 09:44 PM
Hi there, swambast and others...

I've got the Mitsubishi DP 2070SB, also marketed as 22" (in reality, actually 21" - but referred to as 22" to help avoid confusion with some other 21" models).

As far as I have been able to find out, Mitsubishi and NEC were combined a while back, sourcing much of their hardware from the same production plants. Some of their monitors are identical in appearance and specification, apart from the badge and model name. My 2070SB is, I believe, essentially the same as the model you guys have been discussing.

I have also used the equivalent 19" models from both Mitsubishi and NEC and I found the following interesting difference when setting them up:

With the 19" monitors, you could set desktop resolution and colour first, then if you wished adjust the refresh rate later.

When I got my first 21" model, I tried to do the same thing (thinking the difference was only in tube size) and came unstuck, because I had lots of display problems. Colour didn't look quite right and definition was fuzzy in a single vertical strip on one side. This was at 1280x960x32. I later discovered that the setup procedure was different with the 21/22 inch models. It was necessary to set the optimum refresh rate FIRST (85 Hz) and ONLY THEN set the required resolution. When I made this adjustment, everything worked perfectly.

My Mitsubishi 2070 is the best CRT monitor I've ever owned or used and I reckon it's worth every damned cent I paid for it.

Don't know if this is any use, but I wish you luck with your problem.

Best regards,
panther3485

swambast
08-30-2004, 08:23 AM
Thank you all, for your replies. Well, I really didn't want this to happen, I really tried, but it's time for the NEC 2141 to find a new owner. I've tried everything, including checking the monitor with 2 other computers, changing the default refresh rates,resolutions, power sources, factory defaults, etc. No luck. Final straw was when NEC ran through all the troubleshooting, and basically exhausted their efforts.

Here are some general comments:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>The picture quality is beautiful, sharp and the refresh rates are killer! (In fact, I don't think there is a monitor out there in this price range with better refresh rates!)
<LI>The monitor, visually, looks bold and stunning sitting on your desk - it is a definite eye-pleaser.
<LI>The Naviset software that allows you to adjust your monitor using software, is really great
<LI>This was the killer for me: I experienced sporadic gray "wash outs" where the screen would rapidly dim for no reason. Particularly, the longer the monitor was on, the more it happened. It was most evident against bright white backgrounds, and occured on all 3 test computers. (And DAMN MY MEMORY! I wanted to make a quick video of this to show you guys, but the monitor is boxed up now awaiting a return pick-up)
<LI>Overall, I felt like I was tweaking and fiddling excessively to get a good picture. I play a lot of games at different resolutions, and this really started to annoy me.
[/list]

I have to admit, I have a deep renewed respect for my Sony 19" Trinitron, which is an absolute workhorse and has a picture quality just as equal to the NEC. I had planned on selling it to help offset some of the 22" monitor cost, but have such a greater appreciation for it, that I'm going to hang on to it instead! Well not my first choice, I have decided to go with the ViewSonic P225FB, and will post back here with my impressions/results.

Somewhere in another forum I was reading about the NEC monitors, and the guy who said this about the NECs hit the nail on the head: "People who got them working seem to love them though."

panther3485
08-30-2004, 10:39 AM
OK swambast,

Sorry none of us could help you. Sounds to me like we had no chance anyway, because you had what we call a 'lemon' or a 'Friday afternoon production model' (everyone's in a hurry to knock off and go to the pub on Friday arvo!). If it's stuffed, it's stuffed.

Don't know how the law works in your locality, but here (Australia) if a product malfunctions in the way you have described, you should be entitiled to either a replacement or a refund.

Hope you eventually find a 21/22 inch model that DOES work properly,

Good luck and best regards,
panther3485

VonKlugermon
08-30-2004, 11:09 AM
You probably already tried this, but I have to ask: Try a new/different cable...I had an old monitor that behaved exactly as you describe and it turned out to be a bad cable-connector.

If that's not it, Viewsonic/Optiquest would be my choice for a new one!

Willy

stubby
08-30-2004, 11:39 AM
The only issue I had with the 22" NEC was the fiber optic thin lines that cut throw the lower and upper third of the screen. It's due to the way the Sony tubes are meshed accordng to what I was told by Rummy. Over time, I don't really notice them. Other than, the monitor showed me the long term folly of my thinking in that any old monitor will do as long as I have a killer rig and the best video card. How wrong was I in that thinking. All those props don't mean much unless the monitor can bring it. The NEC N27-2110 definetly brings it.

swambast
08-31-2004, 02:22 PM
Well, next up: The ViewSonic P225FB 22 inch...