PDA

View Full Version : Ancient China Faction

ZenBearV13
08-21-2016, 08:18 AM
I'm trying to envision what this faction might look like. Outside of Dynasty Warriors and my experience with Shaolin Kenpo I don't know much about what a warrior from feudal China would look like. What weapons were they known for? What could be turned into a character in For Honor?

Seth-Abercromby
08-21-2016, 02:45 PM
The Chinese had a number of different weapons and is sometimes referred to as the birthplace of martial arts. Obviously, that's not quite true, but the Chinese warriors developed a number of particularly efficient arts of warfare over the course of their history. A very likely weapon would be the Jian, a relatively short straight double-edged sword and the Guandao, a large polearm similar to the European Glaive. Other common weapons was the Qiang spear and Dao curved sword, which also tended to be quite short and was wielded in pairs in some forms of martial arts.

The Guandao would naturally be a fitting weapon for a tank. Paired Dao would fit into the role of the Assassin, but I could also see that role being filled by the Jian. Either of which would be suited to either Assassin or Hybrid in my opinion. The Qiang would be an interesting Vanguard for using its range for defense rather than a shield (which seems to have been rather rare in their art of warfare).

Voidrek
08-21-2016, 03:19 PM
How about those Hook Swords that you sometimes see?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hook_sword

That would be kind of cool. And another weapon that I mentioned in the other thread were those large metal/stone looking clubs or rods that Taishi Ci uses in Dynasty Warriors. I wasn't even sure if they were real weapons, but then I saw Michelle Yeoh use one in Crouching Tiger.

https://youtu.be/DFH6lXJ6c4k?t=142

And as Seth was saying, the Jian sword and the Guandao would be awesome selections, I would think.

Seth-Abercromby
08-21-2016, 07:10 PM
That club seems to be based on a Kanbo or a similar weapon, I don't see why that one wouldn't have found some historical use at some point. Large two-handed Kanabos were used by the Japanese to break a charging horse's legs, so that was a thing.

For hook swords, most evidence points to them being a ceremonial weapon at best, so I don't think them being included would really fit the tone of the game.

dapheenom
08-21-2016, 07:55 PM
The Chinese had a number of different weapons and is sometimes referred to as the birthplace of martial arts. Obviously, that's not quite true, but the Chinese warriors developed a number of particularly efficient arts of warfare over the course of their history. A very likely weapon would be the Jian, a relatively short straight double-edged sword and the Guandao, a large polearm similar to the European Glaive. Other common weapons was the Qiang spear and Dao curved sword, which also tended to be quite short and was wielded in pairs in some forms of martial arts.

The Guandao would naturally be a fitting weapon for a tank. Paired Dao would fit into the role of the Assassin, but I could also see that role being filled by the Jian. Either of which would be suited to either Assassin or Hybrid in my opinion. The Qiang would be an interesting Vanguard for using its range for defense rather than a shield (which seems to have been rather rare in their art of warfare).

Great post. I would mix it up a bit from the four traditional weapons, however.

Jian as the assassin
Guandao as the vanguard (a faster and more well rounded version of the Lawbringer)
Dual Dadao as the heavy (a terrifying dual wielding heavy swordsman would be new)

As a hybrid (vanguard assassin) I would opt for the Song Dynasty fire lance instead of the normal spear. It has all the benefits of a normal spear, with a short range shotgun effect that could be implemented as a feat. I think Chinese warriors offer the best opportunity for unique gameplay and weapons outside of the Rajputs.

Voidrek
08-21-2016, 08:55 PM
That club seems to be based on a Kanbo or a similar weapon, I don't see why that one wouldn't have found some historical use at some point. Large two-handed Kanabos were used by the Japanese to break a charging horse's legs, so that was a thing.

For hook swords, most evidence points to them being a ceremonial weapon at best, so I don't think them being included would really fit the tone of the game.

Yeah, you may be right about the hook swords. Maybe I have seen Big Trouble in Little China one too many times, lol.