PDA

View Full Version : A Post for the Noobs. -ADVICE- Experianced flyers please add to this.

XyZspineZyX
10-06-2003, 02:46 PM
Hey fellas,

Now I make no Impressions of being a brilliant pilot, but I feel I might be Above average. I thought it would be good to have a post, that possibly the Mods could make "Sticky" so that Newbies can get some advice for flying fighters in IL-2 FB.

I started playing online recently, and did not do all that well, untill I read the quote I am about to give, I'm still not a triple ace, but I feel my Kill/Death ratio has changed dramatically. I find I am more often spinning in than being shot down, or tearing the wings off in Dives (Damn LaGG's /i/smilies/16x16_robot-very-happy.gif and people dare complain about hurricanes!)

Anyway, these "Ten Rules for Air Fighting" were developed by Squadron Leader, later Group Captain Adolf "Sailor" Malan. A south African serving in the RAF durning the Battle of Britain, he issued these to his Squadron members, and they eventually circulated through fighter command.

1. Wait untill you see the Whites of his eyes. Fire Short bursts of one or two seconds, and only when your sights are definatly 'ON'.

2. Whilst Shooting, think of nothing else, brace the whole of your body and have both hands on the stick, consentrate on your ring sight.

3. Always keep a sharp lookout. 'Keep your finger out!'

4. Height gives YOU the initative.

5. Always turn to face an attack.

6. Make your Decisions proptly. It is better to act quickly even though your tactics are not the best.

7. Never fly straight and level for more than 30 seconds in the combat area.

8. When Diving to attack the enemy, always leave a proportion of your formation above to act as top Gaurd.

9.'Inititive', 'Aggression', 'Air Dicipline' and 'Teamwork' are all words that 'Mean' something in air fighting.

10. Go in quickly - Punch Hard- Get out.

Hope this Helps the Noobs out there, get thier Kill Ratio up, and make Online COmbat more challenging and interesting for all involved.

XyZspineZyX
10-06-2003, 02:46 PM
Hey fellas,

Now I make no Impressions of being a brilliant pilot, but I feel I might be Above average. I thought it would be good to have a post, that possibly the Mods could make "Sticky" so that Newbies can get some advice for flying fighters in IL-2 FB.

I started playing online recently, and did not do all that well, untill I read the quote I am about to give, I'm still not a triple ace, but I feel my Kill/Death ratio has changed dramatically. I find I am more often spinning in than being shot down, or tearing the wings off in Dives (Damn LaGG's /i/smilies/16x16_robot-very-happy.gif and people dare complain about hurricanes!)

Anyway, these "Ten Rules for Air Fighting" were developed by Squadron Leader, later Group Captain Adolf "Sailor" Malan. A south African serving in the RAF durning the Battle of Britain, he issued these to his Squadron members, and they eventually circulated through fighter command.

1. Wait untill you see the Whites of his eyes. Fire Short bursts of one or two seconds, and only when your sights are definatly 'ON'.

2. Whilst Shooting, think of nothing else, brace the whole of your body and have both hands on the stick, consentrate on your ring sight.

3. Always keep a sharp lookout. 'Keep your finger out!'

4. Height gives YOU the initative.

5. Always turn to face an attack.

6. Make your Decisions proptly. It is better to act quickly even though your tactics are not the best.

7. Never fly straight and level for more than 30 seconds in the combat area.

8. When Diving to attack the enemy, always leave a proportion of your formation above to act as top Gaurd.

9.'Inititive', 'Aggression', 'Air Dicipline' and 'Teamwork' are all words that 'Mean' something in air fighting.

10. Go in quickly - Punch Hard- Get out.

Hope this Helps the Noobs out there, get thier Kill Ratio up, and make Online COmbat more challenging and interesting for all involved.

XyZspineZyX
10-06-2003, 02:56 PM
11 - when you have nothing else to do CLIMB! if you have other things to do CLIMB! Low and Slow is where you are just before you die.

XyZspineZyX
10-06-2003, 02:59 PM
There's no such thing as a defencive move. Every move you make, you make to get an aggressive advantage, with your own bullets, your friend's bullets or your AAA.
_
/Bjorn.

XyZspineZyX
10-06-2003, 03:28 PM
Good stuff lads, keep it coming.

I'll just Bump this up for the Newbies

XyZspineZyX
10-06-2003, 04:36 PM
rule #1 for any German 109 or 190 pilot - resist the tempation of turning
Always check 6 every 30 seconds and never concentrate on 1 enemy for too long cos his wingman may just be right on you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/stg77/webpagegraphics/ju87c.jpg

JU87B2 of II/St.G77 , Smolensk July 1941

Stukageschwader77 soon divebombing an airbase near you.

XyZspineZyX
10-06-2003, 04:36 PM
Bump

WON'T SOMEONE PLEEEAASE THINK OF THE NOOBIES!

XyZspineZyX
10-06-2003, 04:40 PM
dont be predictable, if you have found a tactic that seems to work dont use it constantly, otherwise someone will soon think of a way to counter it

XyZspineZyX
10-06-2003, 04:50 PM
re: 2-

for combat shooting, I've found that NOT holding onto the stick with a death-grip is better. When gripping tightly I seem to over control; better to keep a more relaxed grip (and fire short bursts - tapping gently on the trigger).