PDA

View Full Version : Crashing friendly AI

Dr. Bones
08-09-2004, 08:13 PM
I'm flying the IL-2 Kursk campaign and about 50% of my missions result in a friendly, usually part of my own zveno, committing suicide. We'll be flying along, no enemies in sight, and suddenly he pulls up, does a steep wingover and dives toward the ground. Once I saw him pull up and rejoin formation, only to do it again and die about a minute later. Usually they just crash. I don't recall seeing this before installing AEP, but I've been out of the game for a while. Anybody know what the heck is up with that?

[This message was edited by Dr. Bones on Mon August 09 2004 at 09:05 PM.]

Dr. Bones
08-09-2004, 08:13 PM
I'm flying the IL-2 Kursk campaign and about 50% of my missions result in a friendly, usually part of my own zveno, committing suicide. We'll be flying along, no enemies in sight, and suddenly he pulls up, does a steep wingover and dives toward the ground. Once I saw him pull up and rejoin formation, only to do it again and die about a minute later. Usually they just crash. I don't recall seeing this before installing AEP, but I've been out of the game for a while. Anybody know what the heck is up with that?

[This message was edited by Dr. Bones on Mon August 09 2004 at 09:05 PM.]

Breeze147
08-10-2004, 06:16 AM
I fly mostly the Sturmo and this is a common occurence, not so much since 2.04, but it still happens. Maybe its supposed to mimic mechanical failure or accidents, I really don't know. This is why I hang back a bit in formations. I just made Maior, so I don't have to worry about it anymore. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/air_power/ap16.jpg

Skarphol
08-10-2004, 07:04 AM
Just for fun I often use the QMB to set myself up in a Mustang against 4 Bf-110 ace's. I often start with altitude set to 100m, on the Moscow map. In maybe 1 out of 3 tries (and I've done this maybe 20 times) at least 2 of the AI Messerschmidts commit suicide by a sharp pull up, roll to the left and plunge into the ground. But I think the pull up in this mission is caused by aircraft nr. 3 and 4 comes to close to the ground. Can this be the case in your mission?

Skarphol

"Trying is the first step towards failure!" Homer Simpson

Tully__
08-10-2004, 07:07 AM
The AI terrain avoidance routines are a bit hinky. When following another aircraft at low atlitude very small changes in ground elevation can really upset the AI pilots. If you can arrange it, flying a couple of hundred metres higher up will improve things a lot unless you're flying over or near really tall mountains.

=================================================

http://members.optusnet.com.au/tully_78th/sig.jpg

Tully's X-45 profile (SST drivers) (http://members.optusnet.com.au/tully_78th/fb.zip)

Salut
Tully

sithgod66
08-10-2004, 07:43 AM
The AI seems a bit shakey. I have seen wingman plow into each other in the landing circut.

Worse is the bail outs or lack there of. Flight leader had been hit [He had 42 kills and was not to bad] his engine stopped and he just flew around until he plowed into trees. Friendly bombers with both engines burning won't bail out just keep going till they crash. But what really bugs me is when if they turn just a little they can try and crash land in a flat vacant area. Or they can fly straight and crash into trees. My unit has lost more good pilots to avoidable crashes than to enemy combat on some days.

Udidtoo
08-10-2004, 11:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sithgod66:
The AI seems a bit shakey. I have seen wingman plow into each other in the landing circut.

Worse is the bail outs or lack there of. Flight leader had been hit [He had 42 kills and was not to bad] his engine stopped and he just flew around until he plowed into trees. Friendly bombers with both engines burning won't bail out just keep going till they crash. But what really bugs me is when if they turn just a little they can try and crash land in a flat vacant area. Or they can fly straight and crash into trees. My unit has lost more good pilots to avoidable crashes than to enemy combat on some days.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All of the behavoirs you have descibed and most of the others have been around patch after patch and have been reported in ORR.

They don't have much impact on multi-play and in my estimation will not be fixed. Not sure if thats do to inability or indifference but either way, we are just left to deal with it.........So, I try and learn to smile at the good and live with the bad because the alternitive is to post loud ranting threads in ORR and use the word porked a lot.

I always have just enough fuel to arrive at the scene of my crash.