PDA

View Full Version : New Saitek X45....Good/Bad

The-Tyke
03-04-2004, 09:50 AM
I like the throttle part, but the joystick is definately not as good as my old MS Force feed back. Anybody know the best way to set it up so I can use the Saitek throttle with the MS joystick.
Unfortunately the saitek stick is not as stable laterally, making aiming much more difficult.

The-Tyke
03-04-2004, 09:50 AM
I like the throttle part, but the joystick is definately not as good as my old MS Force feed back. Anybody know the best way to set it up so I can use the Saitek throttle with the MS joystick.
Unfortunately the saitek stick is not as stable laterally, making aiming much more difficult.

Bearcat99
03-04-2004, 10:06 AM
If your MSFFB still works you can have the best of both worlds. I use mine along with my X45. The X45 stick is just abutton bay. The only part of the X45 I DONY use is the X & Y Axii. All the buttons,sliders,and switches go to control something. FB supports multiple controllers flawlessly. The MS FFB is my main flight stick.....

The.Tyke
03-04-2004, 10:50 AM
thanks Bearcat.
do i keep the X45 in one USB and fit the MSFFB in the other USB or do I disconnect the throttle from the Saitek stick and plug that into the 15 pin connector at the back of the pc seperately.

Wilburnator
03-04-2004, 11:02 AM
Keep the saitek throttle and stick connected to each other and use the usb connection. Though I'm surprised you like the MS stick better than the Saitek one. When I tried the Saitek, I gave my MS FFB to a friend.

SlickStick
03-04-2004, 11:13 AM
I'm one of the minority, I guess. I love my Saitek X45 stick. It feels much more precise than my old Logitech 3D and I only tried the MS Sidewinder 2, but it feels better than that to me as well.

I like the firm spring and if you slide your hand up slightly, you use the trigger button on the back of the stick, clear the pinky switch and it just feels more comfortable for my larger hand.

I set the back button for all guns, the trigger for Weapon 1. I use my middle finger for trigger and index for the button at the top, back of the stick.

http://imageshack.us/files/sigSpitIX.JPG
Coming Soon to a Six near you...:cool:

Mispunt
03-04-2004, 11:24 AM
I'm with you, I love mine too.
I have so much more control over my planes now that I got myself an X45, I was amazed how much difference a good stick makes whan it comes to stalls and firing. On a good day it feels like I'm wielding a scalpel as opposed to a plastic knife.
It's not just the buttons, it actually makes you a (seemingly) better pilot :D

http://www.tmeier.org/LockOn_Upload/store/MisSig.jpg

The-Tyke
03-04-2004, 12:29 PM
Maybe I'll stick with the X45 a little longer and see whether I get more used to it ,otherwise I'm going to have to nick the MSFFB back off my son !!

Chuck_Older
03-04-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by The.Tyke:
thanks Bearcat.
do i keep the X45 in one USB and fit the MSFFB in the other USB or do I disconnect the throttle from the Saitek stick and plug that into the 15 pin connector at the back of the pc seperately.

Plug the MS stick into the X45 throttle. Plug the throttle into the USB port.

Wave bub-bub-bub-bye to the boss, it's your profit, it's his loss~ Clash

GAU-8
03-04-2004, 12:51 PM
i had a an X45 for a while and it recently broke...

i felt it was worth the money to invest in another one... i am completely off the keyboard now...because of 2 throttles all engine management(proppitch,turbo,mixture,multi-engine startup, feathering, extinguisher) are all mapped to my secondary throttle quadrant now.

veddy veddy nice

perfect for the heavy bomber duty requiring many extra control options

GAU-8
03-04-2004, 12:55 PM
chuck..

keep both USB plugged in

to access the stick you want to use.
go to the FB control panel

click on aileron axis.

input controller action from the stick you want to use. that will overide the stick you dont want to use in FB.

i was going crazy trying to find out why my older broken stick kept overriding, no matter what the asssingment was.

go thru FB, and its a snap.

GAU-8
03-04-2004, 12:56 PM
nevermind..i missunderstood your post. :)

Bearcat99
03-04-2004, 01:05 PM
You will need 2 USB ports. One for the X45 one for the MSFFB. Plug the X45 throttle into the X45 stick and plug THAT USB into the USB port. Go to the controls menu and set up your sticks accordingly. When you assign the throttle to the X45 it will tell you which axids on which controller. Doing that you can assign pitch,roll & yaw to the MSFFB... rudder either to the tewist handle or the rudder rocker whichever you prefer and so on. I use my twist handle for rudder trim. My flaps are on my X45 rocker arm. Just take the time to go through the inputs and assign them accordingly. I have everything from lights to bailout and drop tanks on my X45 stick. I only use my keyboard to type. Like I said earlier.. the only part of the X45 I dont use is the pitch,roll & yawart of the stick. I use every button,switCH AND SLIDER. My prop pitch is on the throttle slider of my MSFFB stick. See how that can open up new realms? Aileron & elevator trims ae on the wheel sliders of the X45.. Although i rarely use aileron trim except for minor attitude adjustments..its nice to have the option.

Viper_61
03-04-2004, 03:00 PM
On the X45 can you actually use the mode switches to alter the functions of the buttons (ie. Mode 1 - take off, Mode 2 -combat etc)? Can you do this in game or does it have to be done in the software? I have XP and as far as I know the software doesn't work.

Cheers

Rob

SlickStick
03-04-2004, 03:32 PM
Viper, I only use the default drivers, because I've found that I have enough buttons assigned with both units.

In order to use the Modes and Aux switch for more button controls, you do have to install the X45 software.

http://imageshack.us/files/sigSpitIX.JPG
Coming Soon to a Six near you...:cool:

Bearcat99
03-04-2004, 04:04 PM
The software works fine. I only use a few buttons in multiple modes though. Namely the orange button that is lit and the little black button next to the mouse. The black button is CTRL,SHIFT, or ALT depending on the mode.. and the orange button is radiator,map or quick record.. depending on mode. All the othert buttons are the same in all modes.

Chuck_Older
03-04-2004, 04:11 PM
Huh, coulda swore that was how I had heard the correct use of the MS stick w/X45...

good thing I like my X45 just the way it is :)

Wave bub-bub-bub-bye to the boss, it's your profit, it's his loss~ Clash

Viper_61
03-04-2004, 05:32 PM
Do you use XP? Can remember reading that the drivers do not work with XP, much to my dissapointment upon buying http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif. I just use the in game options to assign the buttons. Have the sofware somewhere though. I assume it does work fully then and no probs?

Cheers